Lifestock guardian vs greyhound

Nadine

We had a scary encounter about 2 weeks ago.

While on a walk, we got attacked by a lifestock guardian dog (I don't know the breed, looked a bit like a maremmano).

She tried to grab Saoirse first but I managed to land a solid kick. So she tried an easier target and went for Abu who was walking with my hubby. 

We were next to a busy road, so no chance of letting the hounds off.

The dog rushed Abu and I saw fur flying and heard a dog screaming. Turns out it wasn't Abu. He saw her coming, grabbed her by the neck and just held tight. The other dog screamed and Abu changed his grab and put his teeth around her nose. The moment she showed signs of defeat, he released her and she turned tail and ran.

What a great move. I'm pretty proud of my big boy.

Aftermath: Abu had bruises and greyhound bleeding made him completely purple but we had the meds on hand and the issue was solved in some days.

All hounds got physiotherapy and now feel much better.

Saoirse who was always scared on walks now is the first at the door, walking like the world bows to her command as long as Abu is with her. She doesn't even get scared by sudden noises. Yes, she still hates them but shows no fear, just annoyance.

Mooney was the least affected. The dog didn't get him and he is his normal crazy self.

Oh, and the owners were super apologetic. The dog had escaped their yard and the moment they tried to put her back, we happened to walk by. Dog is insured. Insurance paid all vet and physio costs. So, we got the best outcome of what could have been a very bad situation. 

• Like 6

What a terrifying situation.  I'm glad everyone is doing well.  Abu is a champ! :wow  Saoirse's new-found confidence is a fascinating reaction to the situation.

• Like 1

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Our worst nightmare. I am so glad that you and the hounds are ok (and that the owners of the instigator weren't glass bowls). Good for you Abu and bravo Saoirse! Mooney, good support effort!

:grouphug

• Like 3

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

How terrifying.  Good for you and your solid kick.  

How did Abu get so bruised? 

Abu is a champ! :wow  Saoirse's new-found confidence is a fascinating reaction to the situation.

:nod  Abu, our hero!

• Like 1

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

@EllenEveBaz

When the dog attacked Abu it tried to bite him in the shoulder area. It couldn't get hold of him but the impact alone was hard on Abu. That dog was about +/- 60kg I guess. About as tall as Abu but a lot heavier and Abu is 35 kg. 

1 hour ago, LBass said:

What a terrifying situation.  I'm glad everyone is doing well.  Abu is a champ! :wow  Saoirse's new-found confidence is a fascinating reaction to the situation.

I thought Saoirse would be even more petrified on walks but I think she learned that she is well protected by her pack. 

I even took her out all by herself to visit a park and she was a lot more confident than before.

• Like 3

Oh, that's so scary!   

:thumbs-up Abu   Glad he’s recovered. 

Several years ago we were attacked by a neighbours large Bernese Mountain Dog.  Thankfully the dogs were wearing their heavy winter coats and the dogs teeth put a hole in the coat, and not Nigel.  

• Like 1

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Yikes! That's terrifying!

I'm glad everyone has recovered.

• Like 1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Abu is a hero!!! :heart

Some greyhounds can and will protect. My soulmate Slim was like that.  I came home from work one day and there had clearly been a struggle at my back door. There was blood smeared on the inside of the door and Slim's mouth was bleeding from where he had tried to get out at whoever was trying to break in. They did not gain entry-lucky for them.  Slim destroyed one metal grate interor door getting to the backdoor they were trying to get in. A 2nd greyhound in the house was hiding under the bed when I got home after having released his bowels on the way to hide.  Whoever it was doesn't realize how lucky they were that they were able to get away. Slim could be fierce. 

Tell Abu the stroy of St. Guineford. Another exceptional houndie!

st_guinefort.jpg

• Like 1