Willa has osteo [Update: amp 8/1]

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She looks awesome! 

One of the possbilities with the panting could be phantom pain. This is a known issue in people after amputations, and they will have pain sensations as if the amputated part is still there. I don't know all of the details but assume it's due to nerve endings that were affected by the surgery. I would assume that it's a possibilty in dogs as well. 

For whatever reason, most of our hounds have loved having a fan on and will often just sleep with their head right in front of the fan. Except Kate- Kate hated the fan and knocked it over to break it. I watched her do it. :lol  She also tried to knock over the replacement fan, but knowing what happened to the first one, I tied it to a piece of furniture with paracord so that it couldn't be knocked over.  She was not happy when the fan wouldn't fall. I miss Kate....

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

She looks fantastic! Very bright and happy. :colgate 

I hope you are able to figure out the panting, or that it subsides on its own. It's great that she's mobile and eating.

Go Willa!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

1 hour ago, Time4ANap said:

She looks awesome! 

One of the possbilities with the panting could be phantom pain. This is a known issue in people after amputations, and they will have pain sensations as if the amputated part is still there. I don't know all of the details but assume it's due to nerve endings that were affected by the surgery. I would assume that it's a possibilty in dogs as well. 

For whatever reason, most of our hounds have loved having a fan on and will often just sleep with their head right in front of the fan. Except Kate- Kate hated the fan and knocked it over to break it. I watched her do it. :lol  She also tried to knock over the replacement fan, but knowing what happened to the first one, I tied it to a piece of furniture with paracord so that it couldn't be knocked over.  She was not happy when the fan wouldn't fall. I miss Kate....

Aww, Kate. Gotta respect that she made her preferences known! :nod

I think you're probably right about phantom pain...we'll just keep going with the gabapentin and hope it subsides eventually. Fortunately it does not make her walk like a drunken sailor like it did with Sweep!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Willa’s surgery was just a week ago today and look at that girl! She is awesome! :kiss2 Hang in there, mom and dad, you are awesome too. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Beautiful Willa already looks bright and happy.  I'm so glad that her recovery is going so well.

Kate, a girls who knew what she wanted and knew how to get it. :wub:

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Updates:

• Stitches came out today (she was SO ready), and everything looks good. She'll have a few more nights wearing t-shirts because there's a small bloody area where a scab came off and they don't want her making it a problem when it isn't. We've been instructed to apply Dermagel to it. They're very pleased with how well she's getting around. Her brother keeps her agile by being completely oblivious to her personal space.
  • Still awaiting the pathology report from her amp, not that I am expecting anything but the obvious.
  • First chemo is Monday, and they will do all the tests and imaging needed for her Friday appointment in Cincinnati for the Yale vaccine. Road trip for the sibs! 

Today while waiting in the Wendy's drive-thru for cheezeburgers plane. :wub: (Boy, does Doolin get the better end of this deal. No pain, just gain.)

53119068605_d32fe4310c_z.jpg

53118055457_fbb21bf981_z.jpg

Edited by ramonaghan

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

What an fantastic update!  

Mark said he wants to know more about cheezeburgers plane....:lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

:yay Willa! (Love that collar on you!)

Doolin, PT Assistint. 

:beatheart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

2 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

:yay Willa! (Love that collar on you!)

I do too! But we'll have to go back to the harness soon—the leash bounces all over now that she has a kangaroo gait and it must be very annoying to her so close to her face. Until now it hasn't mattered much since we had to restrict her activity, but just now she walked a HALF-MILE. Exactly two weeks after amp. :star

Edited by ramonaghan

10 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

I do too! But we'll have to go back to the harness soon—the leash bounces all over now that she has a kangaroo gait and it must be very annoying to her so close to her face. Until now it hasn't mattered much since we had to restrict her activity, but just now she walked a HALF-MILE. Exactly two weeks after amp. :star

Oh Willa, you are indeed a :starSweet girl :kiss2

Willa, you deserve a Skyline Chili when you go to Cincinnati. :chow

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

1 minute ago, palmettobug said:

Willa, you deserve a Skyline Chili when you go to Cincinnati. :chow

Only if you'll drive her home afterward! :lol 

52 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

Only if you'll drive her home afterward! :lol 

Roman is a big tooter, a/c on high and a clothespin for your nose! :fart

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Wonderful update. :yay 

I love her curled tongue. Nothing says, "Hurry up with those cheezburgers plane!"  like a curly tongue. :P 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Just now, Remolacha said:

osteo  you already knew, that’s been dealt with. For the rest :thumbs-up Willa’s got this

:nod Exactly. All this does is solidify the plan, because we couldn't do the Yale vaccine if it turned out to be something other than osteo, and we'd be pursuing Torigen instead. We had Torigen/Vidium do the histopathology just in case, but we won't have them proceed with making the vaccine now. Road trip to Cincinnati still on!

No lymphatic or blood vessel involvement. Onward.

:banana You 1/2-mile marathonista!

Road trips are just a reason to get more cheezeburgers.   

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Road trips include cheezebergers plane! Willa :kiss2