Something's going on with Milo

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Another dead rabbit yesterday.  In the house.  With no head.  

But did you add sauerkraut?

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Hassenpfeffer, anyone? 

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

So late to this, but caught up and wishing you good luck. And hope you figure things out! 

Oh, and the headless rabbit? Ewwwwwww

My girls thankfully have never got one in the house. 

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

UPDATE:  diagnosis

So Milo evidently has chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), which is the best of the all-bad possibilities.  I had been afraid to hope for CLL, because evidently it's rare compared to any of the lymphomas.  He also has high globulin in his blood that Dr Couto recommends testing -- don't know if that's a side effect of CLL or a separate problem.  Haven't talked with the vets yet -- evidently the main question will be whether to treat or not.  Reading the info on the recommended chemo made my hair raise on end -- you wear gloves to give this (orally!) to your dog and you're not supposed to snuggle or sleep with your dog during the treatment period.  Just in case you weren't aware that you're giving your dog poison.

So that, and the side effects (which of course are :yikes ) have to be weighed against the fact that Milo obviously doesn't feel good.  

Dr Couto's interpretation below:

Milo's IPT is diagnostic for a CD8+ (cytotoxic T-cell) chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). Most dogs with T-cell CLL have an excellent prognosis, and can go untreated for months to years. Most dogs live their normal lifespan with almost no clinical signs (symptoms). A very small percentage of dogs develops Richter’s syndrome, an aggressive large cell lymphoma that is very difficult to treat. For reference, I have seen hundreds of dogs with T-cell CLL, and only 2 dogs with Richter’s. 

I use the following criteria to implement treatment:
1. The are sick (and I can attribute the clinical signs to the CLL)
2. They have organ involvement (mainly hepatic/splenomegaly)
3. They have cytopenias (anemia, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia) or a monoclonal gammopathy
I typically treat them with CHLORAMBUCIL (20 mg/m2, PO, q2 weeks); I use any of the compounding pharmacies, since getting the 2 mg tabs in a pharmacy is cost-prohibitive. If they are symptomatic, I add PREDNISONE (20-40 mg/m2, PO, q24h for a week, then half the dose q48h). Most Greyhounds (I don’t know about lurchers) do not handle these doses of pred well.
Because his globulin was a bit high (at least for a Greyhound), I would also consider running a serum protein electrophoresis to see if he has a monoclonal spike; if that is the case, we should start treatment now.  The main issue with Milo is whether his behavioral issues could be related to the CLL (I have never seen that as a manifestation).

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

So glad you have a diagnosis and that it's treatable (even if the treatment is a little scary). BTDT with the oral chemo and gloves, but we weren't told no snuggling (though Sweep's sleep startle prevented that anyway). We also had to promptly dispose of her poop and were advised to double-bag it. Though I don't have experience with chlorambucil, we had her on two other oral chemo meds (separately) and neither caused any side effects. :goodluck 

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

Having a diagnosis at last is wonderful.  :hope that the treatment decisions will become clear and that Milo will begin to feel better. :grouphug

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

So not the best news but at least you know what you’re dealing with, so you’re over the first hurdle. I have it somewhere in the back of my mind that the disease progression in humans is quite similar- it can be indolent for years and never cause *too* much trouble for many, but for some unlucky few it can transform and become quite nasty. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck for Milo and you that you fall into the first category

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

It’s not so scary… our Sidney was on Chemo for a while. Had to do the same thing with the meds, etc. 
It sort of becomes routine. 

Good luck! I hope Milo starts feeling better!

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

• 1 month later...

We are going to go ahead with chemotherapy, even though Milo's problems appear to be mostly cognitive and not effects of the chronic lymphatic leukemia.  At least I know what I'm getting myself for Christmas this year. Here is Dr Couto's assessment of low risk of side effects vs risks of not treating:  

the probability of adverse effects from chlorambucil at therapeutic doses is minimal (infinitesimal?). I have treated several thousand dogs (and dozens of Greyhounds) without any appreciable toxicity. Honestly, I don’t remember the last time I saw toxicity in a dog (cats are different).

Hope this helps, and as you said, “to treat or not to treat” is the million dollar question. As a clinician, I like to treat patients, rather than test results, but…
If the SPE spike is monoclonal, as I suspect it is, it can result in neurologic problems, bleeding, renal deterioration, immunodeficiency, etc. 

Just for fun and light reading, here is him trying to explain some of the earlier measurements:

I reviewed the tracing and I am concerned that the “alpha-2 spike”  (see red arrow in attached figure) may actually be in the beta region, and it may be clonal in origin (the “cuts” in the tracing are made visually, so they are a bit arbitrary). IgA (at least in people where there is more evidence) can migrate in the beta region, and I have seen quite a few dogs with beta monoclonal gammopahies over the years.  It is uncommon to have such a high alpha-2 spike without marked increases in the gamma fraction and moderate increases in alpha-1 fraction(and Milo doesn’t have that). 
The only ways to prove this are by either doing immunoelectrophoresis (I don’t think that it is commercially available) or by quantifying immunoglobulins (if the IgA is really high, then it is likely a monoclonal gammopathjy). However, some dogs with IgA gammopathies have abnormal immunoglobulins that may not be detected by the assay, and consequently they yield a normal (or low) value. An indirect way to confirm that the alpha-2 spike is due to inflammation is to request a C-reacive protein (CRP) in the sample where they run the SPE (if they have any left in the lab); if the CRP is high, that tends to support inflammation (although some lymphoid tumors can also results in increases in CRP). 
In other words, Mr. Milo continues to challenge us. Please let me know what you think; thanks again and hope that Milo continues to do well.

There -- doesn't that make it all clear? :lol  We did run the C-reactive protein test and while that was not absolutely definitive, Dr Couto thought it was informative enough that it was time to fish or cut bait on the treatment decision.  

Milo is continuing being a model of good behavior at the vet's office, for which the staff are duly grateful during all of these blood draws for the tests.  He's also continuing to want to be outside for long periods and not eat a lot.  :(  

I feel very comforted when I re-read the posts some of you have made in this thread about the relative ease of chemotherapy.  Thank you.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

:blink: Clear as mud! I hope with treatment, you will see improvement in Milo's symptoms. Sending warm wishes to you all, and we're here if you have questions about chemo. :grouphug 

Whaaaaaat?

Well, you do what you need to do :grouphug

I stopped reading after the first couple of sentences :rolleyes: The gist seems to be Dr C thinks the treatment would be beneficial with little or no side effects and not treating could cause more problems. That would be good enough for me! I hope the treatment helps Milo feel better :candle

7 minutes ago, Remolacha said:

I stopped reading after the first couple of sentences :rolleyes: The gist seems to be Dr C thinks the treatment would be beneficial with little or no side effects and not treating could cause more problems. That would be good enough for me! I hope the treatment helps Milo feel better :candle

:nod 

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

20 hours ago, Remolacha said:

Warmest good wishes that the treatment will help Milo. :grouphug

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

• 2 weeks later...

Milo had his first chlorambucil chemo pill yesterday with no ill effects as far as I can tell.  He gets a 19 mg capsule every two weeks, so there shouldn't be any build-up of side effects.  The chemo will not get rid of the chronic lymphatic leukemia (CLL), but we hope it will keep him feeling acceptably good for as long as possible.

Partly because of the 2-week interval, the cost isn't nearly as much as I had feared.  Having 8 capsules compounded to his exact weight dosage and shipped packed in ice costs a little over $100 for an almost four-month supply. A bargain.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Yay for no side effects!  You're doing great, Milo! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

:yay This is great! Kept it going you two :bighug

Love you Milo!  :wub:

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png