Something's going on with Milo

Milo's acting weird.

You may remember a post a couple of months ago about Milo's extreme reaction to a chirping smoke alarm with a low battery.  Now he is spending hours outside, day and night.  Lying down but with head up, alert, in varying places in the yard.  He has started skipping meals, more often supper than breakfast.  He's not interested in food at those times -- won't even be in the kitchen when I'm fixing the food, won't come when called, may go outside when he sees I'm preparing the bowls.  He may eat later if I can tempt him with a meat, or may not.  He's not displaying any other of the classic signs of dementia such as standing in corners, getting lost, or not recognizing people or Gelsey.  When he's inside, he's actually a little needier around me.  But he's restless and won't stay in any position for more than an hour or two.  

Vet found gum infection and elevated white cell count.  He's just finished a round of antibiotics and we go back in this coming week.  I can't see any improvement in the behavior changes or eating.  In fact, he's eating less.

Any ideas for my sweet old boy?  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww, poor guy! Sounds like he's anxious or worried about something. I can only guess that something in his mouth is still bothering him, especially when he eats. Or the antibiotic is making him feel weird. 

I know you've been down the road of trying to get a dog to eat, but two new to me options that worked wonders with Wiki the Picky are freeze dried raw kibbles (we like Rawbble) and frozen prepared raw patties (Stella & Chewy currently).

I hope you figure it out soon!

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Is anyone cooking lamb? Some dogs react badly to the smell.

Otherwise, something he's hearing. Don't ignore ordinary noises, either. My two are fine with the landscapers and their industrial-strength blowers--will go right up to the landscape crew (the humans are not as thrilled by the company). But if they can hear the blower but not see the landscaper, my girl insists on going in the house because the blower sounds like an enormous buzzing insect. (The sound sets my teeth on edge.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Ellen, are they still working on 81 by you? Could it be something echoing down the mountains? Or neighbors with something ultrasonic?

Perhaps pain issues? He associate "house" with "pain" and feels better outside. G takes gabapentin, I had to get a second opinion for x-rays and found a bad hip (along with his sensitive feet!). Cold laser and chiro has helped him immensely, he lets me get things out of his feet on walks, where he used to try to shred me to pieces.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

If I'm reading and remembering correctly, this goes back a few months with Milo. Even without all of the classic symptoms, from here to me it does sound like a bit of old dog syndrome, especially that you say he's a little needier around you. I hope you can figure out something for Milo. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I think two things might be going on here. The not wanting to eat may be related to the sore gums, even if they aren’t sore anymore! 

The other weird behavior does sound more like old dog confusion/imaginary things. The last year or so of Val’s life, she changed a bit. It was pretty subtle, none of the typical dementia symptoms, but she had changed. She was more restless, would often go outside at night and just wander around the yard, or stand and stare off into space. I never medicated for it since she didn’t seem distressed, but it was often like she was in a different world.

16 hours ago, Remolacha said:

I think two things might be going on here. The not wanting to eat may be related to the sore gums, even if they aren’t sore anymore! 

The other weird behavior does sound more like old dog confusion/imaginary things. The last year or so of Val’s life, she changed a bit. It was pretty subtle, none of the typical dementia symptoms, but she had changed. She was more restless, would often go outside at night and just wander around the yard, or stand and stare off into space. I never medicated for it since she didn’t seem distressed, but it was often like she was in a different world.

this is exactly what i was thinking. check the mouth out- and unfortunately dementia shows up in a wide variety of ways. the first sign that willie wonka had it was he got lost at the vet when boarded. willie had LP and i couldn't travel w/ him during the summer months so he went to the vet. my vet noticed well before us that even though he had the same crate he was getting lost and couldn't find his way out to the runs. the standing in corners came months later. 

hugs- 

If Milo is still not willing to eat normally it could be that the treatment for the gum infection has upset his digestive system and when a dog is feeling down they are much more easily spooked by anything. When they are elderly it can take ages to get them back into their routine again.  What helped Peggy when she got like that was a short course of steroid tablets and some probiotics. But what actually helped longer term and also with her mobility issues was Canine Prime supplement. Now this is expensive, but I saw it work in Peggy in extreme old age, and work remarkably well in two younger dogs... they got like about 3 or 4 years younger!  I think they ship it to the USA. Here, if it doesn't show a marked improvement within 90 days you get your money back. 

Edited by Johnfar
typo

"Classic Symptoms" are classic for a reason, but they're not the only reactions a dog can have towards aging.  Infections in the elderly can increase dementia issues - in people you usually see it in UTIs, but it can be any infection - and individuals reacts differently to antibiotics.  If you don't have a followup scheduled I would see about having him re-evaluated.  And possibly a trial of that doggy dementia drug.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

also, if you bring him in for a recheck, do a quick snap test to rule out any of the tick borne diseases if you like. prednisone is a wonder drug- to improve felix's quality of life he was on it the last 3 months of his life. appetite increase and his yodeling and antics returned. again hugs- getting old ain't fun for either beast or us~

Took Milo back for his recheck yesterday.  Still had gum infection, and this time the vet saw an infected tooth on the other side from the gum infection.  Lymphocytes still elevated which can be a sign of lymphoma but we had the experts look at a complete panel a couple of weeks ago and they thought the gum infection was the cause.  The vet had a last-minute opening today, so poor Milo had his second dental in 6 months.  I told the vets to be as aggressive as was safe -- if anything looked iffy, to take it out because I do KNOT want the poor boy to need any more dentals.  They ended up taking out two pre-molars, one on each side.

I am unhappy about this mouth situation.  I told vet at Milo's checkup last January that I thought his teeth looked bad.  Vet said looked good enough.  Then Milo was in pain eating, and ended up needing an extraction/dental in the spring.  Now this one.  

Milo is home, sleeping off his big adventure after having some thinly sliced roast beast.  At least he ate.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

The crew here at Camp Broodie say "feel better soon, Milo." 

At least with those teeth out he can begin to heal and feel better. Poor guy has had enough of the vet for a while. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Aww, sweetie, very gentle skritches and ear rubbies. G's (former) vet was reluctant to give him a dental due to the sedation, finally got one in December after fighting about the Amicar. :(

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

Double postie, oopsi!

Edited by palmettobug

You’ve got this, big boy. We are cheering for you Milo :kiss2 For your awesome momma :bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Milo, I hope you wake up a happier boy this morning.  :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Milo seems almost back to his old self.  He's interested in eating, especially the freeze-dried Rawbble suggested by Jerilyn.  He even tried to paw the shipping box.  He is still leaving some food in his bowl, but since I am soaking it to soften it, it's a lot of bulk to get down.  Gelsey would gladly finish it for him, but so far she is respecting his space and my stern warnings.

Most importantly, this morning there is a spring in his step.  We'll see what happens when he goes off the pain meds.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

:yay

That is such good news!  I'm so glad the Rawbble was a hit. It does seem to be irresistible. As you're finding, the only problem with it is the volume of it, it's really not practical to feed these big dogs as their only food. 

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).