Well done both of you, it sounds as if she's making good progress. I'm sure she's very happy to be home again. Have you tried cooking her some scrambled eggs? Easy on the tum and full of protein!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checking on Peggy today .....

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hi Batmom. Thanks for asking: slowly, slowly.... I have no idea how long it's going to take

Peggy appears to be continuing to pick up gradually. Appears pain free, drinking, peeing and pooping OK

Still quite difficult to get her to eat anything bulky that I call 'sensible food', so it's the vet food and some of her old dog food, given little and often, and mixed with small quantities of things she still likes. That's PB, Corned beef, roast beef slices, and Bonio biscuits (she ate one of those for the first time in a week last night.). She 'stole' my plain Rich Tea biscuit as well. I think I'll do the stinky frozen white fish cook up again for her too.

Today however is the last day of the Cerenia anti-sickness tablets. The vet says it isn't licensed for use beyond a short course, so that's potentially worrying if she starts vomiting again tomorrow. Though she's still on the Ranitidine twice a day.

I'm keeping up all the routines and she's walking a little bit further like 15 minutes slowly instead of 5. I'm not going to allow her to burn energy running for quite some time. She has lost about 3 to 4lbs over the course of the illness. Down from just over 32kg to 30.5. (70.5 down to 67lbs)

On the other hand, exercise might give her an appetite? Just a thought. I know you're working very hard to balance everything, but my initial thought was also how difficult it can be to put muscle back on an older dog. Not saying to let her go crazy right off the bat, but if she's feeling up to it, a lap or two aroynd tje yard might not be a bad idea?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Can she have a little yogurt or cheese? Or some plain rice? Glad to know she's eating something :)

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Glad things appear to be moving in the right direction. Fingers crossed that she continues to improve!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Appears pain free, drinking, peeing and pooping OK

Good girl, pretty Peggy-O. Now take another biscuit, please.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Good girl, pretty Peggy-O. Now take another biscuit, please.

Yes, wanting biscuits is definitely a sign of her feeling better as is making her bear squeak. She hasn't done the latter yet though.

This evening she was interested to come out in the car onto the moor for a short walk to the top of the hill in the photo. A week ago I never even dared to hope that she'd be walking around up there again.

So even though she still has to be encouraged to eat sufficient, I'm hoping her recovery has now got her back to being stable and she doesn't need anti-emetics. Ranitidine i suppose is going to have to remain part of her life now...

large.jpg

We saw some sheep and a nice view back the other way.

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

:wub:

Good girl Peggy! I had my Lab on Zantac or Pepsid most of her life, as she had acid reflux. Cheap, easy to give, widely available, I'd say it was worth it. :)

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

Brand name in US is Zantac, it's an antihistamine (Really!) used to treat acid reflux. https://www.drugs.com/ranitidine.html

I'm late to this, but for future reference I use coconut water when I need a dog to drink. Mine have all loved it.

I wonder if she didn't get salmonella? That seems to fit with the acute nature and timing with the chicken. Not sure why they didn't get a stool sample and examine it when you first brought her in?

Hope she feels better soon. Have they done Cerenia for the vomiting? If not, that might be a good option at this point.

Thanks for asking. Yes I reckon it must have been Salmonella or some other really nasty bacterial infection. We couldn't do a stool sample because the onset was so rapid and the need to dose with strong antibiotics so dire that it wasn't practical. She's always been a picky eater and so there must have been a weakness in the gut lining anyway allowing it easy access. My vet today said they'll close this episode of it and send it off to the insurers, and that if Peggy doesn't continue to improve or goes backwards then to bring her straight back in. The vet said they'd get some more Cerenia if necessary but preferred not to to have the dog dependent on it :goodluck

I will remember to get coconut water another time. Anything rather than syringing, though I think the latter can be a lifesaver sometimes.

My question was from earlier on, but you can always get the sample and treat while you wait for results. They just need the teeniest bit, they can get the sample themselves, you don't need to wait to collect it and then maybe you'd actually find out something useful and change treatment course. Just something to consider if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, though hopefully not!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Love the picture of Peggy on top of the hill

A week ago I never even dared to hope that she'd be walking around up there again.

:grouphug

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Thanks.... yes, the vet said it would be a slow process getting her energy levels back up. She's never been what I call a 'morning-eater', and that doesn't help the afternoon walk in the park much. Thankfully, there's been no recurrence of diarrhea, vomiting and extreme grass-eating.Poops are firm enough to pick up too. Haven't needed to give the Tramadol again; but am still cooking up that stinky white fish to add to her kibble. The insurance paid all but the first 125 of the vet bills, so that was a positive thing.

Peggy :wub: