• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, seems like something else is going on. Has she had an ultrasound?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yeah, seems like something else is going on. Has she had an ultrasound?

Hmmmm, I'd have thought they'd have done that before sedating for X-Ray. When I last spoke with them this afternoon they weren't seeing the need for it, as they felt they were making some progress, though I think the E-Vet would have recommended an endoscopy if no progress is made in the notes they sent back to my practice. The E-Vet had full 24 hour access to all the notes in my vet's office. Certainly the X-Rays showed nothing untoward. The vet said their IV drugs have made her much less anxious and they were working on getting her intestines moving. I will mention an ultrasound though. I think this particular insurance I have pays the vet direct for any legit tests.

It's such a horrible thing to happen to a 10 year old dog who gets nervous when anything is different. Obviously we don't want the poor little girl to have to experience pain as she just can't cope with it in a calm way like my last dog would have.

Edited by JohnF

:( Poor little bug, and poor worried person. Really hope they can figure things out!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I once had a dog that got near a toad in the yard and it was really a mess. Hope that she did not get something like that. I got a bite on my toe from a black widow spider and it sent me to the hospital with a heart issue a few years back. Are there any critters in your area that she may have gotten ahold of by accident? I know that if they are not considering something, they do not usually test for it for humans or dogs.

I once had a dog that got near a toad in the yard and it was really a mess. Hope that she did not get something like that. I got a bite on my toe from a black widow spider and it sent me to the hospital with a heart issue a few years back. Are there any critters in your area that she may have gotten ahold of by accident? I know that if they are not considering something, they do not usually test for it for humans or dogs.

That's a good idea. In my part of the UK there's nothing rally dangerous. In the back yard, frogs, insects like flies, bees, wasps and ants, relatively harmless little garden spiders (the worst for bites here is the False Black Widow but it's far from common.) She's obsessed with hedgehogs and digs around them. There will be bird mess like in any other garden. Occasional cats come in. The vet said earlier that as the kidneys and liver are working, normal toxins should have been removed.

* The vet gave me an update just now at 11am here. The drip was removed at midnight. She had a comfortable night, is not reactive to intestinal palpation (she was a bit before), is drinking freely, eating a little, peed OK and passed a small 'loosely formed stool. They're going to review again late this afternoon to see if she can come home or stay another night. I haven't visited because it typically makes her more upset if she doesn't get taken home when I leave. Her temperament is that of a dog which from her own initiative does very little to directly please their owner, and that's what makes her not the easiest of patients to look after.

Good update. Would it be better if they kept her another night to make sure that everything is on the right track? You have taken her home and brought her back several times. That must be so hard on both of you! Wishing you the best. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Afternoon update. The vet said she was well enough to come home. At least I got tail wags when she saw me come to collect her at 5pm this time.

Shes had all her injections today and is to have a Ranitidine tablet tonight and Cerenia (anti vomiting) tomorrow.

They also gave me some Tramadol to keep in case she gets in a state tonight. (I think the plan then is to shut her in the kitchen with her bed and a bowl of water as I don't have a crate now, to stop random pacing around the house. Obviously I hope this doesn't happen).

The general plan is to see if we can very gradually get her to eat enough sensitivity food.

The senior vet said that if we end up back at square one they'll probably need to do exploratory surgery next week, I gather he's a laproscopic expert. I think you all know how worrying this is, but we cannot allow a dog to have a horrible time in pain just hoping for the best.

Good things now are, she's pain-free, she peed outside OK and drank water freely, and is back sleeping on my bed.

Fingers crossed!

(Be aware, in case vet didn't warn you, that tramadol can *cause* some panting/pacing/weird behavior in some dogs. I got around it in one of mine who couldn't have other meds by giving @ half the dose, then the other half about an hour later.)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad she's doing better and home with you. Here's hoping you have an uneventful weekend and she's back to 100% soon! :goodluck

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Good news! Good luck! Has she had tramadol before? It can be a real problem for some dogs. Hope you don't need it.

Fortunately it wasn't needed during the night. They did acknowledge that it might make her anxious but said it also deals with the pain. She has eaten 3/4 of 400gram tin of vet sensitivity food since i had her back last night, though only wanted a few spoonfulls of it this morning. She is a dog who usually likes to have most of her food in the evening. She's still drinking water freely though so that's encouraging. As far as I can recall what they said when I picked her up she's just on the Ramipril and the Cerenia tabs at the moment, but I'll phone later this morning to make sure I haven't forgotten anything important. I'm doing my best...

I've been checking in each day to see how Peggy is feeling. You are doing a terrific job of taking care of her. In our experience with dogs that have been ill, they sometimes recover in "baby steps". Each improvement is good. Each meal eaten, no matter how big or small, is a good sign. She is drinking water which will help to keep her hydrated. Hopefully Peggy's system is healing and before too long she will be back to normal.

Good thoughts and wishes to you and Peggy for continued improvements!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Sunday morning update:

We were talking about Tramadol in case she needed it and didn't know how she might react to it late at night, so the vet had me give one 50g tablet later afternoon while their office was still open for a couple of hours in case of an adverse reaction. It actually de-stressed her and she had a little sleep, so now I know I can give it if I really have to. She slept well last night even though the Tramadol would have worn off.

Foodwise I'm trying every trick in the book to get her to eat little and often. Cooking plain white fish into flakes, giving her some of that 90% duck warmed up from the tray, smearing the base of the bowl very thinly with PB so she has to eat or at least move the food to reach it, sometimes scattering little tiny bits of corned beef. Generally I think I'm getting her to eat just over 1/4 of what a dog her size is supposed to eat. She's certainly brighter, wags her tail when I come back, attempts to initiate the kind of play that would lead to zoomies if she was well.

I'm even keeping up the usual routines. Going on the usual 'walks' at the right time even if they are only for 5 minutes, or me just sitting on a bench in park while she sniffs around. 8.30 last night before the sun went down, I drove her up onto the moor and allowed a 10-minute mosey around on an extending lead. Those kinds of things. I can't see much else extra i can do to encourage her and give her a good shot at recovery.

She's just on Ranitidine x2D and Cerinia now as specified by the vet, and Tramadol if actually needed.

So glad Peggy is doing a little better! Continued positive thoughts to you and Peggy for her rapid full recovery.

Thanks. I'm working as best I can with getting her to eat, as too much weight loss is very very hard to put back on at her age. If corned beef and expensive thin slices of roast beef mixed in her vet food is what it takes to make it eat it then so be it. I'll even cook the stinky fish once a day if that helps too. It is so hard having a dog that must eat but is reluctant to. Physiologically she appears pain-free, is drinking, peeing, pooping, asking for short walks etc. She has another vet appointment this afternoon.