How old is she?

If she can tolerate it, go completely bland for a week. Like straight broth and rice. Nothing else. Sounds like her system is just done so ease her into food again doing this.....

She's not that old really, ten in September. Certainly we must try something very different starting tomorrow when food can be offered. Still not drinking freely so getting 20ml an hour of dllute electrolyte by syringe to keep the edge off dehydration. Will see what the vet reckons in the morning and if imaging tests are scheduled. This is not a nice situation for that poor little girl to be in as she was so scared last night.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you try a white fish like tilapia (not salmon - too oily) ? This is what I feed my IBD girl and she gets it with white rice and some veggies. I bake the tilapia (do not give raw) for about 10 to 25 minutes depending on whether fresh or frozen.

As others have said - stay away from chicken including chicken broth. I don't know what has changed in chicken processing/farming but, it always make my dogs sick.

Hope she feels better ...

You can also try oatmeal instead of rice. Sweep prefers it (she begs for it when she's not ill), and it also works quickly to firm up her stools. Just be sure to make it with water, not milk.

Continued good thoughts to Peggy.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Yeah, that's weird--Johnny can eat his chicken formula food no problem, I gave him a little fried chicken skin once and we were up all nite with the poops!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Yeah, that's weird--Johnny can eat his chicken formula food no problem, I gave him a little fried chicken skin once and we were up all nite with the poops!

I'm so mad at myself for frying that stupid chicken which almost certainly caused it, especially given that she's always been stomach sensitive. Whenever she'd been very sick before, she went on Ranitidine for a few weeks following. Maybe I missed that she was already ill again.

She was a lot better yesterday eating half-rations boiled chicken and drinking until 8pm yesterday when it all kicked off again with a horrible night. I hope we can get back to square one with the vets help.

She just asked to go out for a short 5 minute walk round the block to 'check for cats'. Nothing is simple when a dog goes ill.

Edited by JohnF

How is she this morning John? Doing better I hope.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

How is she this morning John? Doing better I hope.

Thanks for asking. She had a quiet night, no vomiting or restlessness. Ate 1/4 can of vet GI food (vet banned anything else for a while). Drank a little water on her own. for the first time. Wanted a little walk. Took her to the vet's appointment at 10am. He said he'd do an X-Ray this morning in case we are missing something like a partial obstruction, and then take it from there. So until that's done it's hard to know how best to look after her. Obviously hoping for the best...

Sending prayers and positive energy for Peggy's recovery. You know I was thinking she might not be able to eat chicken anymore-at least for a while. When she got sick right after eating the boiled chicken again maybe her body is not able to handle it since the bad chicken caused all this in the first place. Then I thought well if WE get really sick from a particular food just the thought of that particular food again tends to make us sick again-at least thats the way I am. I just hope she gets well soon! Good luck at the vets.

Seems like a long time to be sick over chicken. Have they done an xray of her stomach/thoracic area to see if she got into something else that is not showing up on the blood tests that they have done? Praying that Peggy gets well soon.

Yes it does to me, unless it was really bad salmonella in the chicken or a nasty e.coli. But her temperature has been normal the last 3 days.

X-RAY UPDATE: Yes they deliberately focused on the stomach/thoracic area and the vet just phoned me about the X-Ray. He says that they can see nothing remarkable there, liver looked normal, so did the other organs, and I can pick her up later this afternoon now that they can reverse the sedation. She will come back dosed with Omeprazole, anti-emetic, pain relief and an injected antibiotic to guard against sepsis. He emphasised not to feed anything other than the Vet GI food. Also said not to syringe Oralade as she isn't presently showing signs of dehydration.

Hi John, hope Peggy recovers soon.

Whenever my dogs ( mostly whippets) have had stomach upsets I've boiled rice and given them that first, sometimes just encouraging them to drink the water first, then white fish and rice boiled together. The packs of frozen pet food fish are good for that. Scrambled eggs come next then small portions of their normal food.

Obviously if your vet says use their GI food at the moment then that's what you do.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

How's the beautiful Peggy this morning/afternoon? :clover

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

How's the beautiful Peggy this morning/afternoon? :clover

Thanks for asking. Another vet's appointment today at which she was 'determined' not to be left for XRay or whatever again. Just given an anti-emetic shot this time. I'll give the pain relief, probiotic clay and Omeprazole myself.

There was still diarrhea yesterday evening, but she seems a lot brighter today, indeed she just bolted outside after a black cat that jumped in the garden and saw it off over the fence. The major advance today has been freely drinking water and eating a little food. She won't touch the vet's GI food yet but she will eat a very expensive high-end steamed wet food with 90% duck, minerals and no grain whatsoever. People normally put some mixer with it or use it to top kibble, which was what I was doing and making a tray last 2 days when she was well.

We aren't out of the woods yet though, the vet explained his rationale was to 'Get the top end of the digestive system right first' and then work with the lower end which might take several days depending on how inflamed it had become. So I'm to keep in touch with them each day and take the dog in if there's vomiting or blood

it will have been a week come tomorrow evening since this condition first caused trouble, and I must confess I'm drained from dealing with it. I don't usually do self-pity. Of course living on my own at present doesn't give an easy perspective and not seeing the usual dog walkers in the park (the diarrhea issue) is also limiting in being able to discuss it. Though the pet food supermarket lady today said she gathered there was bad dog stomach bug around town.

Hugs and hopes she continues to improve.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks Batmom.

Not too good; but I'll keep this up to date in case it one day helps anyone else encountering such an intractable problem.

I had to take Peggy to the E-Vet in the city of Exeter 25 miles away at 3am last night. (There isn't one open 24/7 nearer). She had become increasingly restless and then started to pant with her tongue hanging out all the way, and also making little squeaks for attention. I knew these were bad pain signs most likely from tortured intestines, if not an actual blockage. The E-Vet thoroughly examined her and said she was 80% certain it wasn't a blockage as everything was moving around OK on Palpation and sounds from the intestines were present etc, also X-Rays had already been done and showed nothing. She gave Peggy a shot of Methadone to calm her a little and told me to take her to my own vet at 8.30. which I did.

My vet says he's going to keep her in today and probably tonight with an IV drip to properly handle pain issues etc. She's not dehydrated and she can still drink a little.

So poor little Peggy... all we can do is hope and pray.

Poor Peggy! Lots of healing thoughts for her coming your way from me and Ken.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Aww, Peggy. :( Hope it is just the "stomach bug" and not something more serious.

Oh my gosh. This is nuts. From technically "food poisioning?" I'd think they have a more powerful gut to deal with bacteria. Certainly the chicken you cooked was not THAT bad?! Wow. I wonder what is going on. Poor girl. Thinking of you two.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015