Adopting And Older Greyhound

Guest chas2016

Guest chas2016

Hi I am looking for some advice, we have contacted 2 rescues now about adopting a greyhound and how we want to be matched properly (after not being matched properly previously and it all going wrong) both times it has been suggested we might be better suited to an older dog. We both work full time, we are looking for a calm laid back greyhound. Is there anything we should be aware of or take into consideration with an older dog, or what sort of questions should we be asking.

All greyhounds I grew up with that were never raced, did not live long lives at all sadly, one only just made it to 10 and the other 11, both had cancer.

Yes. You should be asking yourself "Why do we really want a dog?"

And consider all the answers to that question, pass your answers along to the adoption group, and trust them.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yes, older dogs do come with a shorter time to be with you, but there's no guarantee you would get any longer with a young dog. Illness and injury can strike a dog at any age and take them from us way before we're ready. No matter how long they are with us it's *never* long enough.

The difference between energy levels of a 2 or 3 year old greyhound and a 6 or 7 year old greyhound is huge. The 2-3 YO is basically a puppy in an adult suit - still into chewing, wanting to run around, needing an outlet for exercise and socialization and lots and lots of activities. All. Day. Long. A dog who is 5 and older will have transitioned into a fully adult personality - more laid back, more willing to accept longer down time, not necessarily needing attention 24/7. Your adoption group will also probably know more about the personality of an older dog, to make sure you get one able to handle long hours alone, and fit in personality-wise. Groups usually are begging people to take in older bounces (returns to the group through no fault of their own), and seniors.

So if both you and your wife are not home for 8+ hours a day, having a young dog - no matter the breed - would probably not be the best situation. Older/senior dogs could be with you for many years, and they have a charm and love all their own.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My first three greyhounds were right off the track and were aged 2+ to 4.5. Four years ago I adopted two four-year-olds and recently lost one of them at age 7. All of my other greyhounds were adopted as seniors. At 7.5 y.o., Bea was my youngest senior. Others were at least 10+ y.o. Greysmom's post is spot-on. I love the seniors! Hope this helps some.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Older dogs are th best! I've adopted two senior greyhounds and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Bone cancer can happen at any age. So can seizures, heart attack, stroke, embolism, other cancers, etc. Age is no guarantee of health.

Senior greys are awesome. I adopted Allie at age 6 and Davis at age 7. They are a perfect match for each other and me. Adopting the right dog is the most important thing.

AMF All for One "Allie" (1/15/2010 - 3/25/22)

Color Print "Davis" (1/29/2009 - 2/24/19)

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper" 

Never again would I take in a young greyhound. :lol Here, anything under age 10 is too young. Most come here at 11 - 12. One lived only one month. Most others lived another 2-3 years. Had I known what was ahead I still would have brought them home.

But *hint hint* older boys are much easier than those pesky pushy young girls. Consider a male that's 5 to 7 years old. They should already know the house rules and more should be known about their behavior in their previous home.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I agree with what's already been posted. I was also looking for a laid back dog and the organization I adopted from matched me with a 5 y/o male. He came to me straight from the kennel (hadn't been fostered in a home) and has been easy peasy! I'm so glad I didn't get a younger hound, because his energy is perfectly matched to my lifestyle.

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

When I adopted my first grey, I had a choice between a 3 yr old and a 7 yr old broodie. Luckily for me, I picked the 7yr old. Older dogs just fit my quiet life style better. Yes, you will probably have less time with them, but Sugar lived to 12.5, and I know of dogs only 1yr old that died of heart attacks and cancer :sad

There may be more medical problems, but maybe not. If your group thinks an older dog would fit what you have told them you want, it would at least be worth meeting a few :)

Guest chas2016

It's been so nice to see others experience! They have suggested a 10 year old female who is in good health. I'm trying to not get too excited.. Incase they feel we wouldn't be a good match (I love what they have to say about her!) I just never really thought of a senior dog before it was suggested! I have to say a part of me was a little wary thinking of having less time together, but at the same time I think I would rather a couple of wonderful years than none at all.

The seniors may not have the years left, but they certainly make the best use of the years that they have. I am on my third senior adoption, meaning at least 11 years old before entering my home. It hurts to lose them, but what I gained far outweighed the loss. Thank you for considering an oldie, but goodie!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I adopted a two year old. I love him dearly, but never, ever again. I adopted a nine year old. We lost him four months later (not to a common cancer in greyhounds), if I had to do it over again, I would in a heartbeat.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Fortunately, so far, all of our racing Greyhounds have lived well into their teens, the oldest 15 1/2. I wouldn't hesitate to adopt a senior. (Medical history is a bonus but okay if hound lacks records.) Depending on a hound's prior life (racing kennel; Greyhound farm, etc.), the middle age to elder hounds almost seem to appreciate living in a happy, loving home even more than younger racing school dropouts. Our seniors often still act like happy, playful puppies, their energy bursts just don't last quite as long.

Preventive care is usually a great way to extend their healthy double-digit years: vet dental care; home tooth brushing; leashed walks (appropriate to hound's physical level) during coolest/shady times of day to help maintain muscle tone, mobility, blood circulation, healthy weight (seeing last two ribs), and life interest; a prompt vet visit for early removal of bumps. Minimize time in direct sun. Avoid smoke. Avoid feeding human leftovers, especially avoid foods toxic to dogs: spices (onion, garlic, etc.) grapes, raisins, fruit seeds (apple seeds, avocado pit, etc.) chocolate, some nuts (macadamia, etc.), fats, and sweets -- cancer cells thrive on sugars).

Whether lasting multiple years or less, every day with a Greyhound is a gift! :)

I have adopted several older greyhounds and seniors. I LOVED it. One of the best decisions I ever made. In my case the dogs that have lived the longest of any of the many dogs I have had were the 2 oldest ones I adopted! I adopted Aggie Desperado when she was 11 and she lived to 14 3/4 years old and I adopted Momma Seabird when she was 10 and she lived just 3 weeks shy of 15 years old! They were both broodies and let me tell you a broodie is a wonderful and very SPECIAL :beatheart thing. I LOVE them. I think maybe the reason they live so long is because they are tough old birds by the time they survive racing and breeding and because they are so full of love!

Actually one of the missions Aggie had was to promote senior adoptions. A year after her adoption she was asked for a newsletter if there was anything she wanted to say. The first thing she said was to tell everyone thanks for rescuing her. She said she didn't know this kind of world existed for a greyhound. She also wanted to say "Adopt old dogs!". She thoroughly enjoyed her retirement. She visibly enjoyed a roll on the lawn or resting on her sofa-things other dogs often take for granted. I always marveled at her athleticism. Even in old age she had cat like reflexes-better than younger dogs- and would trot like a Prix de St. George dressage horse- utterly exquisite-more a dance than a gait- a perfect exhibition of timing, balance and beauty. She was TWICE crowned "Queen" of the Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass in Louisville KY as the oldest hound there. She is the one who told me to adopt Momma. And you want to know something amazing? Out of all the thousands of greyhounds when I was checking Momma's adoption papers just after Aggie left it turned out that shockingly her and Momma had the exact same birthday month and date 16 March. It was an affirmation from Aggie :). So I have to agree with Aggie and say Adopt old dogs!

Just before Aggie left she sent a message out via Morgine Jurdan in Morgine's Voices of Nature newsletter. It helps show what a loving spirit she is. This was about 2 weeks before she crossed over. This is what she wanted to tell people:

Aggie the Queen

14 ½ year old greyhound

" Love is more magical than you could ever imagine. Loving without conditions creates more magic in your life than you could probably handle. You could let go of so much anger and judgments. You could always be forgiving no matter what anyone did or said to you. We dogs do this a lot. You could always welcome people home into your heart. You can still choose to not like certain people or what they might do or say. Yet you still love them inside, because that creates wonderful feelings inside you. You radiate those wonderful feelings and help others feel better. Love is magical. Love create smiles, and helps the world heal. Give more to yourself and share it with everyone!! The world will get brighter every day you do! Go for it! I am barking for your success!!"

Aggie the Queen

14 ½ year old greyhound

" Love is more magical than you could ever imagine. Loving without conditions creates more magic in your life than you could probably handle. You could let go of so much anger and judgments. You could always be forgiving no matter what anyone did or said to you. We dogs do this a lot. You could always welcome people home into your heart. You can still choose to not like certain people or what they might do or say. Yet you still love them inside, because that creates wonderful feelings inside you. You radiate those wonderful feelings and help others feel better. Love is magical. Love create smiles, and helps the world heal. Give more to yourself and share it with everyone!! The world will get brighter every day you do! Go for it! I am barking for your success!!"

This is beautiful! Thank you for sharing it.

Cricket

Cricket, mom to Mulligan (Kycera) and Xena (Kebo Tina Turner )

I have adopted several older greyhounds and seniors. I LOVED it. One of the best decisions I ever made. In my case the dogs that have lived the longest of any of the many dogs I have had were the 2 oldest ones I adopted! I adopted Aggie Desperado when she was 11 and she lived to 14 3/4 years old and I adopted Momma Seabird when she was 10 and she lived just 3 weeks shy of 15 years old! They were both broodies and let me tell you a broodie is a wonderful and very SPECIAL :beatheart thing. I LOVE them. I think maybe the reason they live so long is because they are tough old birds by the time they survive racing and breeding and because they are so full of love!

Actually one of the missions Aggie had was to promote senior adoptions. A year after her adoption she was asked for a newsletter if there was anything she wanted to say. The first thing she said was to tell everyone thanks for rescuing her. She said she didn't know this kind of world existed for a greyhound. She also wanted to say "Adopt old dogs!". She thoroughly enjoyed her retirement. She visibly enjoyed a roll on the lawn or resting on her sofa-things other dogs often take for granted. I always marveled at her athleticism. Even in old age she had cat like reflexes-better than younger dogs- and would trot like a Prix de St. George dressage horse- utterly exquisite-more a dance than a gait- a perfect exhibition of timing, balance and beauty. She was TWICE crowned "Queen" of the Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass in Louisville KY as the oldest hound there. She is the one who told me to adopt Momma. And you want to know something amazing? Out of all the thousands of greyhounds when I was checking Momma's adoption papers just after Aggie left it turned out that shockingly her and Momma had the exact same birthday month and date 16 March. It was an affirmation from Aggie :). So I have to agree with Aggie and say Adopt old dogs!

Just before Aggie left she sent a message out via Morgine Jurdan in Morgine's Voices of Nature newsletter. It helps show what a loving spirit she is. This was about 2 weeks before she crossed over. This is what she wanted to tell people:

Aggie the Queen

14 ½ year old greyhound

This just made my day, so true!!!!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

I wouldn't hesitate to adopt a senior! They're the best. I adopted a senior terrier at 12 years old and she fit in immediately. I thought I'd have her a couple months, but I just lost her in June after a year and a half of pure love. I have no idea what her life was like before she came to me, but she was the perfect dog for me and exactly what I needed (even if I didn't always agree!).

My greyhounds were 7 (Regis, bounced multiple times), 5.5 (Dusty, fresh off the track), and 5.5 (Tessa, brood mama) when adopted. Regis fit in immediately. He lived to 12 and passed from Osteo. Dusty, for all her craziness (we said she burned the candle at both ends :lol), was also really easy to acclimate. She lived to 9 and passed from what everyone believed to be a series of worsening strokes. She just wasn't the same after the last one and wasn't coming back to herself :( Tessa just arrived on Monday, so I can't say for sure yet, but she's adjusting rather well, considering. She arrived from the farm totally fine, and then a week later had some weird illness with a stubborn fever and a bit of internal bleeding. She's doing well now, but when she was at the vet I just kept thinking about how she's only 5.5, it shouldn't be happening.

Anyway, you're never guaranteed anything, even if you adopt a youngin. Our group adopted out a sweet little girl fairly recently who just passed away at 2 or 3 years old. Another of our past adoptees passed at 4 from some mysterious illness. We've had a couple adoptees live to 15. You just never know!

Adopting any dog is rewarding, but opening your heart and home to a senior is especially. That's my plan going forward. I want the bounces and the oldies! :beatheart

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Our family has adopted several senior hounds over the years! And we wouldn't hesitate to do it again! We like the older hounds here at my house!

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

I have only adopted bounces. Two were six and one was seven. My first greyhound lived to 13 1/2. My second to 12 and my 3rd is still here at almost 13 1/2. None of them ever needed to be rated. Bounces need homes too and the good thing is that they have lived in a home before.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Never again would I take in a young greyhound. :lol Here, anything under age 10 is too young. Most come here at 11 - 12. One lived only one month. Most others lived another 2-3 years. Had I known what was ahead I still would have brought them home.

But *hint hint* older boys are much easier than those pesky pushy young girls. Consider a male that's 5 to 7 years old. They should already know the house rules and more should be known about their behavior in their previous home.

I totally agree, but my threshold is lower. I tried to refuse taking fosters under the age of 4 for males, 5 for females. It "mostly" worked. "older" doesn't have to mean "old". A 5 year old is very different than a 2 year old.

A lot of first time adopters ask for "small, young, female". IMHO, big, older, and (personal preference) male - is better. At least older. 5 or 6. A great age - in their prime, out of puppyhood, lots of live to live.

It's been so nice to see others experience! They have suggested a 10 year old female who is in good health. I'm trying to not get too excited.. Incase they feel we wouldn't be a good match (I love what they have to say about her!) I just never really thought of a senior dog before it was suggested! I have to say a part of me was a little wary thinking of having less time together, but at the same time I think I would rather a couple of wonderful years than none at all.

That's great - but - 10 is pushing senior range. You'll start hitting aging issues in a few years. Just keep that in mind. I'm NOT discouraging you, just know what you're getting in to. Personally, I'd adopt a 10 year old (that was suited to my home) in a heartbeat. But I've lived with many greys. Seniors have so much to give, generally have been in a home for years so they know the ropes. And, you're giving a dog another chance. That dog had a HOME. And now it doesn't.

But - I'd also suggest looking at the 5-6 year olds. That's the "sweet spot" IMHO.

Guest MikBee

We've only had our one grey, so not a whole lot of experience with other age groups.

But, we live in a small space. We also aren't too high energy... especially in the summer months! So we wanted one that would be laid back, and not too overwhelming for our first dog/first grey.

The adoption group we went with showed us 4 different ones. All male, all really awesome! But, 3 of them I think were between 2 and 3 years old. Two of them were very sweet and calmed down quickly, but still had more energy than we felt ready for, for our first dog.

The two that seemed more our energy level, they let us take for a walk to help us decide.

We ended up choosing the older one... 5 years old. Partially because he leaned on my husband while we were out walking, so my husband fell for him pretty fast.

He's been perfect. The easiest dog I could have imagined. I haven't had to train him, at all. He adjusted easier than I expected. He was a little nervous and reserved at first, but way less than I thought he would be. And he's okay with the minimal walks we can do right now because of the heat. When he's inside, he's sleeping. I work from home, but if I was away for 8 hours I'm sure he wouldn't mind much. He'd probably be in the same spot when I got home as he was when I left. Lol. He really only gets up to eat, or when he sees that I have his leash. (He does still have just enough energy to be happy about going for a walk! But otherwise, he's so calm you wouldn't even know he was there.)

So I have to agree with some others who have said that 5 is a pretty great age. :) Although, I'm sure older ones are pretty awesome too!