Introducing Tessa!

Roo

Seeing as how she's coming home (unexpectedly early) on Monday, I suppose it's time to introduce Tessa, formerly known (and still occasionally referred to) as Pizza Joint!

I started following her four years ago, back when I had Eli. I was stalking his still-racing siblings and saw her race name on a program and loved it. I love pizza, and how can you not love a dog named Pizza Joint? :beatheart I watched a race. The way she raced reminded me so much of our angel Dusty - really excited, really intense, and really fast :lol I watched her next race, and the race after that, and I just kept watching, falling more and more in love with this blue dog I'd never met.

tumblr_nssm67epUW1s3xj43o1_540.jpg

I watched her for a year or so, then took the long way home from visiting family in PA so I could go to Wheeling to meet her. Her trainer was super nice and brought her to the track so I could meet her, even though she didn't have a race that day. She couldn't care less about me - she heard the lure and the dogs and wanted to run! But I was smitten.

tumblr_nqh7qfcuPu1s3xj43o1_540.jpg

I kept watching. Race after race, I rooted her on. I'd text her trainer after every race, comment on her performance or her spirit, and he'd write back and say how hard she tried regardless of where she placed. She retired just before her fourth birthday - she tweaked a muscle in her leg and her owner didn't want to risk further injury. She retired from racing and went to a farm in Kansas to be a mama. Two litters and a year and a half later, I got a text that she was ready for her couch.

This was right around the time Daisy was ailing quickly, and two days after Daisy told me she was ready and we said our goodbyes, I learned that Tessa had arrived at PRH.

The first time I really got to spend time with Tessa, she licked the tip of my nose, just as Daisy had always done, and I took it as a sign from my little girl that this was right.

Tessa seems like a real sweetie. She's a little nervous, but not so nervous that she won't take treats or seek pets. When she's not sure what's going on or what she's expected to do, she flops down and observes.

tumblr_os6hzlcCRF1s3xj43o2_400.jpg

She was not a fan of my dad's hat, but as soon as he took it off he was allowed to pet her

tumblr_os6hzlcCRF1s3xj43o4_400.jpg

She roaches in her crate :lol (I've always wanted a roach! None of our previous pups could manage it.)

tumblr_osf37eVQMU1s3xj43o1_400.jpg

And her wardrobe already consists of two collars, including a pizza-themed one because, really, how could I not put a dog named Pizza Joint in a pizza collar?

tumblr_oskub7U3871s3xj43o1_540.jpg

As it turns out, she's even more like our angel Dusty than I first thought - if you ask her, anything small is something to chase. When we cat tested her at PRH, she tried her best to get at Colby through her muzzle (fortunately Colby is a seasoned test cat and was unfazed by this). She tried to get a little dog and a couple cats at the vet (while she was feeling awful with a 105 fever!), and the cat silhouette over the door to the vet definitely looked like prey :lol Looks like I'll have my hands full with her till we can work on some "Look at me" and "Please do not try to eat the fluffy". :flip

We've been having a bit of medical drama the past couple of days (thread here) but she's back at PRH now after two nights staying at different vets. Her temp still spikes periodically but she's on two different antibiotics to combat whatever's causing it (still unknown, but we're all kind of thinking ehrlichia), so I'm hopeful that these will work and she'll make a full recovery. She's coming home Monday for a week so I can monitor her temp and behavior, then back to the kennel so I can start to pack up my house and move.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

She is beautiful! I hope that whatever is causing the temperature gets fixed. Congrats!

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

So so happy your Tessa/ pizza joint is finally coming home! Can't wait to see all the roach pics on your bed and couch :). She was destined to be yours -- congratulations! We've been cheering you on for such a long time in your quest -- and now-- at last-- she will be home :). Can't wait to see all the homecoming pics!!! She is beau-ti-ful!!!!!

Congrats and let me tell you... the blue once are thr crazy ones. She is a beauty.

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Congrats and let me tell you... the blue once are thr crazy ones. She is a beauty.

Thank you! I'm aware :lol I was not aware of this when I picked her out (silly me thought "be" meant brindle :rolleyes:) but I've met some blues since then. I've had a couple years to mentally prepare :lol

I sell things on Etsy!

Congratulations! How exciting to have both a new home and new dog. Time to celebrate with some pizza! I hope you can resolve her medical issues quickly.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I've so been hoping you would start an intro thread for her :lol Congratulations! She is just gorgeous. What a long wait for her but now she's home, woo hoo! Oh wait, new dog + new home, double :yay :yay Who's better than you! Sooo exciting!

ps, Did your pics come from FB or what program did you use to post them? :riphair

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I've so been hoping you would start an intro thread for her :lol Congratulations! She is just gorgeous. What a long wait for her but now she's home, woo hoo! Oh wait, new dog + new home, double :yay :yay Who's better than you! Sooo exciting!

ps, Did your pics come from FB or what program did you use to post them? :riphair

Thank you! It's like everything is happening all at once - overwhelming but exciting!

I had these on Tumblr - she hasn't made her FB debut yet :lol I usually use FB to link - I have a couple albums that are set to "just me" privacy so I can dump photos there, copy the image location, and use that link to post elsewhere. Otherwise I dump them on Tumblr and use that.

I sell things on Etsy!

Congreytulations1 Hope all is smooth for her medically.

I'm surprised you're not naming her Mozzarella or Margherita :)

The first time I really got to spend time with Tessa, she licked the tip of my nose, just as Daisy had always done, and I took it as a sign from my little girl that this was right.

:beatheart

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Congratulations!

I hope her health improves quickly and she's home with you soon.

She sure is pretty. :beatheart

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Her daily medical update was that her temperature held steady all day, she ate her breakfast, and she wagged at people, so it sounds like she's feeling better! She also got some Novox for surgery pain, so I'm sure that didn't hurt.

Congreytulations1 Hope all is smooth for her medically.

I'm surprised you're not naming her Mozzarella or Margherita :)

:beatheart

I thought about Olive (I love olives - I can eat a whole can if I'm not careful :lol) but Tessa was her kennel name and she really responds to it, so I didn't want to change it. Plus, it's pretty!

Edited by Roo

I sell things on Etsy!

Tessa. :beatheart (Though I thoroughly approve of Olive too, since I have one of my own.) So glad she had a better day. Looking forward to your updates about the new digs and the new hound!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

That's a good update! Tessa Pepperoni :lol:wub:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Yaaaay that Tessa is coming home! My aunt and uncle had a dog named Tessa. Her original name was Katie, my aunt's name, and they saw it as a sign and adopted her, LOL. They then changed it to Tessa :)

Beware of dog? Forget the dog - BEWARE OF CAT! No wait. The budgie is a killer, too.

35618219502_5f27c04249_s.jpgAaerro by Vampiric Conure, on Flickr

Rainbow Bridge - Aaerro march 2018

Her temp is holding steady around 100!

She's understandably nervous being in a new place so she's doing a lot of pacing and nervous panting. I'm keeping her in her crate more often than not since she's supposed to stay calm and quiet and she can't seem to relax when she's out. She has about a foot-long incision closed with staples, so she kind of has to take it easy.

She did try her luck counter surfing this morning, slipped on the hardwood, freaked herself out, and hasn't tried again since :lol

She's nervous about everything but wags sweetly and requests pets and leans against me and I may be smitten. :D

I sell things on Etsy!

A couple photos from her first couple days...

Surprisingly good car-rider! I was warned that she tries to drive but didn't have any problems (mom snapped the photo :lol)

tumblr_oswe2wrApl1s3xj43o1_540.jpg

Just before her failed counter-surfing attempt :lol

tumblr_oswe2wrApl1s3xj43o2_400.jpg

Taking a stroll (in the 90+ degree weather :blink: Fortunately the woods feel cooler than 90+ degrees or I think we'd both melt :lol )

tumblr_oszpw4VCPs1s3xj43o1_540.jpg

ETA: She's pretty nervous and doesn't really want to be out of her crate too long. She'll meander around the house, sniff some stuff (mirrors are fascinating), then run back into her crate and stare out at me like "Okay, that's enough - close the door please." :lol I've been leaving the door open for fifteen minutes or so at a time while I sit on the sofa and play games on my phone. She'll come out, get pets, run back in. Come out, get pets, run back in. She won't eat unless she's in her crate. She's silly, and absolutely adorable.

Edited by Roo

I sell things on Etsy!