My Beloved Dog Is Gone

GreyBoy

I lost my beloved greyhound and best friend a week after New Year's Day. The end of November he was diagnosed out of the blue with hemangiosarcoma. He had surgery to remove his cancerous bleeding spleen the day I took him to the vet for drinking more water than usual. Unfortunately while he went through the surgery fine, there were metastases. My husband and I took him home and cared for him, giving him treats and all good things, including steaks, which he loved. Eventually things went downhill. Now it is a month later and I can't seem to go a day without sobbing. So many things remind me of him and how wonderful he was to have around. Our children are gone and far away, but he was always there to greet us or just came with us just about everywhere. He had just turned six years old, too young. His brother whom we were aware of died young also. I am broken-hearted. What is the best way to heal myself? It just seems so lonely without him. He was wonderful. Any advice would be appreciated. (He is my second greyhound ever.

My first one lived to be 12 and that of course was difficult but this was so, so unexpected.)

I'm so sorry for your loss. They really are amazing and wonderful creatures. I know there's no replacing him, but consider opening your heart and home to another grey.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I lost a five year old unexpectedly and was a mess.....I brought two new hounds into my life and they helped heal me. I never got over his loss, but they reminded me of the joy of having hounds in our lives....and as a friend said, my Jack would have wanted other dogs to find happiness, too.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I'm so very sorry.

I think all you can do is give yourself the time you need to grieve. You've just lost a family member; its normal to feel the way you are feeling.

Don't feel pressured to do anything you're not ready to do. Sometimes it takes time to be ready to adopt again.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

My heart is breaking for you. My soul mate hound Slim also had to leave suddenly at 6 yoa. I was completely devastated for quite a while. I think that is normal. Just remember you can't see anything clearly when your eyes are full of tears though so don't fret & worry-just hang in there. I have to agree with the above posters about other hounds helping us to heal when a tragedy like this happens. In fact it was a hound named Minny that remarkably came to me because HE knew that I needed him to help me through the dense fog of mourning that I was in. So I have learned from experience to seek the wisdom of greyhounds in recovering from such trauma. So I too think it would probably be helpful to find another hound to give love too as soon as you feel capable. I know your boy at the bridge is sad to see you in the state you are now. He knows that the only way you will be happy again is when you can find someone to give your love to. I would not be the least bit surprised if he doesn't pick a hound out for you and send to you! Just be open minded. Your boy that left will be with you always. As time goes on you will discover that and it will give you great comfort.

The way the Rainbow Bridge dogs feel:

"The love is bigger than the pain. I know your heart is breaking terribly. But I promise you that your pain will subside over time, and our love, our love not only will survive, it will be stronger. Someday the horrible pain will be a memory of deep sadness but our love will still be vibrant and alive. Love is always bigger than pain. When you are hurting, reach for the love and I promise you will feel better."

Perhaps you may find some comfort in this as well:

A Message From Heaven

Although I could not speak to you, one look into my eyes should have told you how much I loved you.
I understood and was thankful for everything you did to keep me with you but it was time for me to go on.
To those who say animals have no soul, I tell you this is not so.
There exists a very special place for us in Heaven.
We were created to share with you our love and knowledge, Unconditionally.
The reason you miss me so is because of that Love.
I never judged you but was always there to love you when you needed me.
I hope I have taught you well.
If you search, you will understand just how much you have learned about yourself from me.
Thank you for your love and for your home.
Please, don't cry, but know I am with you Always, in your heart. by Kevin Z. 1997

and this scripture is a fav of mine:

For love is as strong as death.
Many waters cannot quench love,
Nor can the floods drown it.
Song of Solomon 8:6-7

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality." ~ Emily Dickinson

:grouphug:f_white:gh_lay

I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost our first two greyhounds, Lana and Duke, within six months of each other about a year and a half ago. Not a day goes by that we don't think of them, and we still miss them terribly. The saving grace for us was that we still had Duke after Lana left, and we adopted another female greyhound, Joy, to keep him company. Then when Duke left us, we adopted another male greyhound (Duke's cousin, Gilgun) to keep Joy company.

We also found this book to be of help:

The Loss of a Pet: A Guide to Coping with the Grieving Process When a Pet Dies
by Wallace Sife
Take care,
Victor

I am so sorry for your loss. We lost our angel last week very suddenly to osteo, and even though she was 11 she seemed too young. This is a good place to get understanding and perspective from people who have been there. Dogs who get cancer do not get to grow old and that is just so, so hard. Consider counseling or a support group if you find you are having a difficult time accepting it. This is a truly difficult thing you are going through. Take extra good care of yourself.

3964308598_c55bc0aa88_o.jpg

Oh my goodness, what heartbreak to lose your beloved, and so young :( . Hugs to you and your family.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Here's some links that may be able to help you. The first is for the Pet Grief Counseling Hotline at University of Guelph

http://ovc.uoguelph.ca/petloss

The second is a list of resources. It also lists resources outside of Canada.

http://www.pet-loss.net/resources/Canada.shtml

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest IrskasMom

We feel your Pain . Most of us did go through a Loss of our best Friends/Family Member . So you are on the right Place among us. Robin says it Best. Give yourself Time to grief and everybody is different .The Loss of my Morty was a Year ago and I am still sobbing everyday for my Boy. So be kind to yourself . Hugs to you .

I am sorry you are going through this. We all understand your pain. I have sadly lost three greys so far over the years and it does not get easier. All were hard to say goodbye to, but one took most of my heart with him. Just remember how much joy your grey gave you and how happy you made his life. They can't stay with us as long as we wish they could and that is an additional painful fact. I have always had two together and this is the first time I am with only one, after losing a beautiful heart and soul sweet boy 5 months ago. He was only 6-1/2 and I still have moments when I can't believe he is really gone. I am grateful to have my little female grey because she forces me to get on with things. You can't ignore the cold nose and the soulful eyes when it is their time for food, walks, and cuddles. Give yourself time and you will find yourself suddenly ready to welcome another, and give him or her your love as they will give theirs to you in return. You will never forget the one you lost, but you will make a new forever friend.

I also feel it helps to hear the stories of others here, and to see you are not alone in the way these beautiful hounds affect us.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

We lost two greyhounds to hemangiosarcoma of the spleen. One was only 7 years old. While my heart breaks to think of it, we have moved on to adopt two more dogs. You are not replacing the lost dog, just inviting a new one into your life.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so sorry for your loss. So many of us here understand the love you shared with your boy, as well as your pain. In the past five years I've said goodbye to 10 good dogs. When Segugio was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma I asked our vet how much time we had, ball park, and she drew a breath before saying "Maybe a month?" We got nine days. I still had his sister and three other dogs so I had to keep going but it was rough. Perhaps you can foster or dog sit for a friend while they vacation, or find a local group and help with Meet & Greets. There is no time frame for the journey with grief. You have to do it on your own terms. But take your time. Someone once told me that missing someone is a way of keeping them with us, even when they are not. I hope you may find some comfort in that, as well as knowing that you are so not alone on your journey. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thank you to everyone who posted. Your stories of your wonderful, beloved greys is the best to hear about. I am not ready yet to adopt because I feel like I would be replacing him. I know that is silly but this cancer thing and his younger age just knocked me over. I know I will someday because I could absolutely not live without a dog in my life. But now even seeing dog product commercials or dogs out walking brings me to tears. I was thinking about two greyhounds and if that is just as easy as one or not. I'm not sure. I like to take my grey with me when I go out shopping etc, bring him into Home Depot with me, or leave him in the car for short errands. I think that would be harder to do with two. But the house is so eerily empty without my dog that maybe having two would ease the pain of losing one later on. Is that selfish to think that way?

If getting two is wrong, I don't want to be right. My husband and I have had exactly the same thought. I don't think you will get any resistance here for adopting two more dogs instead of one, since so many of the active members have multiple dogs. It just has to make sense for your lifestyle. Consider fostering until you fail and then fostering until you fail again.

3964308598_c55bc0aa88_o.jpg

I did all you mentioned with four.

The first greyhound I lost was only five. I adopted within three weeks. It took almost a year to bond. But that was so worth it because she made it to 15.5 yrs.

I wrote an article for CG magazine, summer 2001 documenting the journey. If you want to read it it's called Onyx:from eggplant to blossom.

It's online at a couple of places, if you can't find it I can email a copy.

I am so very sorry. Hemangio is awful, and scary and horrible. When you feel ready, I have found that opening my heart to a new grey is the best healing. For me, it helps knowing that one more grey has found their couch (and every other piece of furniture I own) and focusing on them lets my heart begin to heal.

I wish we didn't all know how you feel, but we do, and are here for you.

I did all you mentioned with four.

The first greyhound I lost was only five. I adopted within three weeks. It took almost a year to bond. But that was so worth it because she made it to 15.5 yrs.

I wrote an article for CG magazine, summer 2001 documenting the journey. If you want to read it it's called Onyx:from eggplant to blossom.

It's online at a couple of places, if you can't find it I can email a copy.

I would LOVE to read a copy of your article. All I could find online was a reference to buying old copies of the magazine. Do you have a link you could send me online to the article! Many thanks.

I was so thankful that I still had Chancey after my whippet Banjo had to be p.t.s. after a sudden & unexpected disk problem left him paralysed last year. Having had multiple dogs for the past twenty years I've always been grateful for the remaining one/s to help through the grief but then I've tried to find another as soon as possible, not to 'replace' the one who died but to fill the hole they left in my heart. I have found the interest, preparation and excitement of getting ready for a new family member is better than sitting at home mourning the one who died.

The only reason i still have just Chancey by herself is because she can be a screaming, leaping whirlwind if she sees small dogs running around in the forest where we walk daily. I have to hang on to her lead and try to keep her under control (after 2 years she is improving) so although I would love another whippet I know i have my hands full with her and cannot honestly adopt another dog for a while yet.

I know how distressing it can be when one of your dogs has to be p.t.s. at such a young age, I had to make that decision with one whippet just a day after his 6th birthday, luckily I had Banjo to keep me company until a little Japanese Chin made her home with us for 8 years. When I could see her failing I started looking for a greyhound and look what I got! :)

IMG_1152_zpsxjblbn25.jpg

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.