My Beloved Dog Is Gone

GreyBoy

I would LOVE to read a copy of your article. All I could find online was a reference to buying old copies of the magazine. Do you have a link you could send me online to the article! Many thanks.

the two places that had it don't seem to be around anymore. You don't have enough posts to PM me yet, so email me at mppwith4 at yahoo dot com. (write it the correct addy way)

I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious boy. It is always heartbreaking, but when they are young and it is sudden, it adds an extra layer to your grief. I can't imagine how awesomely empty your hearts and home must be. Please know that so many here understand all too well these feelings of loss, and if that helps just a bit, return to these pages---to grieve, to vent, to ask advice, to get comfort. I think it does help.

We've lost 8 Greys, but one of the hardest was Patsy, who like your boy, was only 6, and had a mass in her spleen. I felt so cheated, for us, selfishly, because she was so young and so perfect, but also for her. We only had her 3 years, and she deserved much more. It still breaks my heart that we didn't have many more years to spoil her, to love her.

You are wise to understand your grieving process. In just a month, your feelings are still raw. If you feel that it's too early to think about another dog, it is. You will know, and maybe he will send you another dog to make you smile, and to help heal your heart (it's true that they do). Or maybe two. :beatheart

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

So sorry for the loss of your boy.

I hope you find another to fill the empty spot in yiur home and heart...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I am so sorry that your lost your 6 yr olld boy. Cancer doesnt care, it robs us of loved ones regardless of their age. Again I am so very sorry that the evil C found your boy at such a young age

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I am so very sorry for your loss. We just lost our girl (she was 8.5) a few days ago to osteasarcoma - it was quite a shock, as she was originally diagnosed with a muscle pull, then a stroke, then a bulging disc and finally...osteo. She was gone a week & a half later. :(

We have adopted 5 greyhounds over the years, always having two at a time. Each time has been a totally different experience - our first boy was only with us 4.5 years and died in his sleep of a heart attack. We knew he had heart problems, but he was fine that entire day, eating normally, taking walks, etc. - then, he was just gone. I was shocked, heart-broken, angry and sad - all at the same time. We adopted again about a month & a half later because I just really needed to concentrate on something other than my sadness, ya know? Our second boy was a big, gorgeous, red boy - and he just stole my heart. He fit right in, immediately, and I was so grateful.

But, we then had 3 experiences with losing our hounds to cancer -- our very first greyhound, my heart dog, the reason we even adopted the 2nd and 3rd (and now 4th and 5th) -- stopped eating over the course of a couple days. Long story short, we were told she "had" to stay overnight at the emergency vet/specialty clinic and they made a couple huge mistakes, which ended with us having to euthanize her due to paralysis and extreme pain. It was the most heart-wrenching experience you can imagine - she hated the vet and being in a cage, she was terrified, paralyzed and in agony - and we had to let her go. I vowed I would not adopt again, it was just too painful.

Of course, we did - because, in the end, we love dogs and we get so much out of having them! The girl we adopted after her is the one we just lost - and a thought struck me like a lightning bolt when we knew she was leaving us... that we never would've even had her if we hadn't lost the first girl, and then adopted her. I honestly didn't think I could ever love another dog like I loved those first two - but, I did. It didn't happen immediately, but it did happen. We've learned to appreciate the differences we see in the hounds we adopt, and not compare them to the others.

It hasn't even been a week since we lost our Tilly - I am not ready to adopt again because I am still mourning her. But, when we adopt again, it won't be her "replacement" - it'll just be "the next one" - it won't fill the hole in my heart where Tilly is, but I'm sure it'll help heal it a little. :)

Good luck to you.

So sorry for your heartache. Cancer is a thief and steals our beloved hounds without thought to age and otherwise good health and spirits. I lost my first greyhound to osteo. I had been talking with her thru an animal communicator and my girl asked if I was already looking for another hound. I had but felt funny doing it. She told me no- do it now! I went to work and found my next hound on-line with a group in Indiana. I brought him home 4 weeks after my girl passed. It did not make my pain any less but it kept my heart happy and busy getting to learn about my new boy.

I will always have at least two hounds. I don't ever want an empty house. My boy Luka wanted me to adopt two more hounds making it 3 in my house. I would do it if not for the vet bills.

Hugs,

Jan, Luka and Carter

I'm so very deeply sorry for your sudden loss of your beloved boy who left much too soon.

Many thoughtful posts from others with whom I agree. I wish we could help lessen your grief.

The deepest intense sadness comes in fewer waves over time...

I lost my heart hound recently, and currently have another deeply beloved hound with hemangiosarcoma. I hope to think our pets that have crossed the bridge remain close in our hearts and feel our love from afar whenever we're thinking of them.

I feel your pain...Ben died 102 days ago very suddenly and I still cry...a lot. I can't even stop counting the days and still think about him constantly. Grief can be so debilitating. And it comes in waves, sometimes it feels like a tsunami of pain. Grief is definitely a long, sad slow process.

I like the comment not a replacement, rather an addition. After our first grey died, we adopted another female in honour of her memory. Take your time, your heart will tell you what to do.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so very sorry.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so sorry for the loss of your boy. Give yourself time to mourn.

When I am grieving, I find that being around and touching other animals helps me. Caressing silky ears and feeling the twitch of whiskers, reassures me that life, for all of its cruelty, is beautiful and vibrant. Creating memorials -- a special rock in the yard, planting a flower, volunteering or sending a donation with a letter telling the organization about your wonderful boy -- can make me feel I'm helping keep the memory alive. A chain is a good metaphor for me -- you don't replace a link, you add to it.

As for the possible future -- as long as you have dogs who behave well on leash (reference whirlwind Chancey above :) ), I find it as easy to take two as one just about anywhere. And when they do need to be left at home, I don't feel as guilty, knowing that they can keep each other company.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing any greyhound is hard but especially one so young. We lost Ladybug at 3 to cancer of the bone marrow and 2 months later adopted her sister Dancing Bug. Dancing Bug is now almost 11. Please make room in your home and your heart for another greyhound needing a home and love. They are wonderful animals.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

I'm so sorry for your loss of your best friend. :grouphug

We lost one to bone cancer at the age of 6 and it does add another layer of grief when they die so young and you feel they were cheated of a normal life-span.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting