Bernie And I Got Attacked On Our Walk

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor Bernie and poor you. None of this was your fault! I hope you and Bernie continue to heal, in all regards. It's a terrible event and I'm so sorry it happened to you two. :grouphug Ducky is right, take photos of your and Bernie's injuries.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so sorry this happened. Hoping you and Bernie heal quickly.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Take pics of all the injuries (I hope you did already). Make sure this guy takes responsibility for all the damage. Too many people get away with letting their dogs be aggressive without any consequences. Better catch him soon, while he's still feeling guilty for what happened rather than wait until he's had a chance to think about it. Make sure you get an agreement in writing.

Hope both you and Bernie are feeling better soon. :grouphug

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I am very sorry this happened to you and Bernie. I am glad you're both going to heal physically but I would caution you on the mental healing. My wife Lynn was involved in something similar years back with Jack and a little white dog (loose of course) all the while holding onto Charlie and having Peanut and Angie there too. Her pinky was almost completely severed and had to have surgery to reattach, well the physical healed even though she can't feel much in the finger but the emotional and mental healing took a lot longer. Any loose dogs terrified her and walks were curtailed dramatically unless I was there and still many a time we had to change direction whenever a loose or aggressive dog was ahead. Please take care of yourself and Bernie, I hope in time you can put this all behind you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So, so sorry this has happened to you.

We were attacked a couple of years ago, but not nearly as badly.

Thank goodness it has been reported.

I wish I had reported our horrid neighbours dog long before his barking/chasing escalated into an attack.

I agree with Ducky... Take photos of all your injuries.

Hopefully the beagle owner will cover all your expenses... Not only Vet, but if you/DH need time off work, etc etc.

:goodluck

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest FordRacingRon

I am very sorry this happened to you and Bernie. I am glad you're both going to heal physically but I would caution you on the mental healing. My wife Lynn was involved in something similar years back with Jack and a little white dog (loose of course) all the while holding onto Charlie and having Peanut and Angie there too. Her pinky was almost completely severed and had to have surgery to reattach, well the physical healed even though she can't feel much in the finger but the emotional and mental healing took a lot longer. Any loose dogs terrified her and walks were curtailed dramatically unless I was there and still many a time we had to change direction whenever a loose or aggressive dog was ahead. Please take care of yourself and Bernie, I hope in time you can put this all behind you.

I just wanted to chime in and agree. My 12 year old was 3 1/2 when we were attacked by a pitbull. Her leg was really damaged badly (would have been worse but I dove right into the fight) but it took way longer to heal mentally for her (and my DW). To this day my dog doesn't like dogs (not to fight, wants nothing to do with them) unless they are greys. It took me 6 months or more to get her to finally walk again. We only walk in parks now where we can see for good distances what is around us. I had to be a real alpha when we walked so she could feel through the leash I had no fear. I could go on but you'll get enough advice.

Healing prayers for you and Bernie.

This is so sad. It must have been extremely frightening; plus, you and Bernie enduring the ongoing physical pain from your wounds. Please let us know how both of your recoveries progress.

I agree that this was not your fault. Most sadly, you were right about the Beagle's poor treatment by the (possibly unknowing?) owner. Dominance training/handling has long been proven to cause and/or increase aggression in animals, but many pet owners aren't aware of that. The Beagle could have been born a sweet tempered dog, but human aggression begets animal aggression.

You might be interested in this short article:

http://vetmedicine.about.com/b/2009/07/07/veterinary-behaviorists-take-a-stand-against-cesar-millan.htm

You and Bernie will be in our healing thoughts. I hope his swelling/infection can be controlled soon.

Many excellent responses in this thread. I agree to snap photos now, and during your recovery.

This is so sad. It must have been extremely frightening; plus, you and Bernie enduring the ongoing physical pain from your wounds. Please let us know how both of your recoveries progress.

I agree that this was not your fault. Most sadly, you were right about the Beagle's poor treatment by the (possibly unknowing?) owner. Dominance training/handling has long been proven to cause and/or increase aggression in animals, but many pet owners aren't aware of that. The Beagle could have been born a sweet tempered dog, but human aggression begets animal aggression.

You might be interested in this short article:

http://vetmedicine.about.com/b/2009/07/07/veterinary-behaviorists-take-a-stand-against-cesar-millan.htm

You and Bernie will be in our healing thoughts. I hope his swelling/infection can be controlled soon.

Many excellent responses in this thread. I agree to snap photos now, and during your recovery.

Thats exactly the thought that came to my mind. STUPID STUPID PEOPLE DOING THAT STUPID STUPID ALPHA ROLL CRAP again. If a STUPID STUPID person wouldn't have been doing what he had no business doing it probably wouldn't have happened in the first place. I too felt sorry for the beagle as well as Bernie. It probably was a sweet little dog before this dummy ruined it by doing alpha rolls and other compulsion while being totally ignorant of how to handle a dog. I have nothing against Caesar M.- just ignorant pet owners who have never invested the time into learning. But make no mistake once it attacked my hound I would do ANYTHING to protect my hound with no compunction whatsoever. My heart breaks for poor Bernie and his mom. I am praying for both of them to heal quickly physically and mentally. STUPID STUPID people letting rogue aggressive dogs get loose(for ANY reason) to attack innocents are 1 of my pet peeves! There's no excuse for it. I eventually got to where I carried an assortment of weapons with me when I walked my hound(s) to protect them. Its sad that a person has to resort to that just to keep from being viciously attacked. Get well quick guys.

You know, Bernie may also be fine with other dogs. It happened so fast, he might not generalize it. At any rate I don't think anything is gained by making Lauren fear the worst before she has any evidence. Beth has been attacked a couple of times -- admittedly much less severely -- and it didn't change her relationship to other dogs at all, even temporarily. She was scared of the exact location where one of the attacks happened (and where the offending dog lived, fortunately not any more) for a while, but she got over it.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Hi everyone! Thank you all for your kind words and advice. Please know that I've read every single word that every single one of you typed!

Here is an update as of this afternoon (Sunday 7/19) — in a timeline format, which might make the most sense:

Sun 7/12: Original dog attack with two bite wounds. E-vet stitched up wounds, and 1 wound included Jackson Pratt grenade-style drain. He stayed overnight.

Mon 7:13: Picked him up from e-vet on Monday afternoon.

Tues 7/14: Back to e-vet since we thought something was wrong with the drain. The drain was fine, but with some swelling in bottom of leg, the vet wrapped his leg to force fluid upward toward drain.

Wed 7/15: Just monitored at home and kept Tuesday's wrap in place.

Thurs 7/16: Went to e-vet to remove Jackson Pratt drain. Took out Jackson Pratt drain at top bite wound since it worked well, and that wound is healing nicely. Once they unwrapped the leg wrap, they discovered an infected abscess on the outside of his right back leg, about halfway up (like the side of the knee). Drained the abscess, and put in penrose-style tube drain in to promote more draining of the abscess. Wrapped it up loosely to catch the stuff draining out of the leg.

Fri 7/17: Our local vet (the other vet at the practice; ours was out) did a new wrap twice that day.

Sat 7/18: His local vet (still the other vet; ours was out) did another new wrap. Also added enrofluoxacine antibiotic since she still saw some puss that had soaked into the wrap. Also said some black skin was present that must have died from the infection. She said wait until Monday to remove the dead skin.

Sun 7/19: Went to e-vet for the daily wrapping change since our vet isn't open on Sundays. Once the e-vet opened up the wrap, said the black/dead skin was very prevalent and stinky and had to get out of there. So the penrose-style drain was removed from the leg, and Bernie had all of the dead tissue cut out to promote new growth. The vet said there's too much skin gone to be able to stitch it up, so the wound area is packed with gauze and wrapped again. He said, though, because it's a big open wound, it will need two daily changes for the next few days.

We're going back tonight to the e-vet to get it changed, then back to our regular vet tomorrow for the new wraps. The e-vet today even said that he sends animals to Dr. Collins (our vet) for bandage changes because she does a good job with it.

... And that's where we stand! I'm typing with a dopey dog behind me. We're going to load Bernie into the car around 7pm or so to go back.

I feel like we keep having these setbacks. -_- The worst of the two bite wounds is actually fine at this point!

Justin is planning on getting in touch with the other dog's owner. He said he wants to plan on meeting him somewhere to discuss this. He said he didn't want to talk over the phone and wants to talk to this guy face-to-face. I will let Justin do this on his own ... I don't want to talk to the guy and honestly don't want to ever see him again.

More updates later!

Edited by Laurenbiz

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Poor Bernie, and poor worried mom and dad!

Hope healing is less eventful from here on out.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If Justin senses any resistance from the owner when making contact to meet, consider having the AC officer join him.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

If Justin senses any resistance from the owner when making contact to meet, consider having the AC officer join him.

That is a good idea, thank you! I think his plan is to call the owner on the phone and plan a meeting time/place. So after that phone call, I'll see what his thoughts are about going alone or going with an officer.

Edited by Laurenbiz

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

You may have to take them to court but it will be a slam dunk for you if you do and is no biggie. In fact Animal Control may be willing to charge them for you. I know when I was an ACO I would already have charged them with numerous charges in addition to whatever civil damages you deal with them over. The charges would do nothing but enhance your case and encourage responsibility on their part. Sock it to them regardless of which route you go. Make them PAY for their ignorance so as to also discourage it from occurring again. People like that tend not to be to responsible and issues of controlling their dogs have a way of re-occuring. Feel so sorry for Bernie & you! :grouphug