Bernie And I Got Attacked On Our Walk

When Poodle was attacked at the dog park one of the regulars who owned an Aussie ran after me as profusely bleeding Poodle and I went to the car. She said "Ma'am my dog started it" (which I later learned was not the first time it had done so) and I said "I'll talk to you tomorrow". Guess what? She was never seen at the dog park again and no one knew her last name - just her first and the dogs. All I wanted was for her to pay 1/2 as I assumed risk myself when I chose to put Poodle in close contact with all those other dogs.

I'm not the most law savvy person but do dog attack lawyers (excepting things like the Lexus Project - and I belive they do defense) take cases on contingency or do you have to pay for legal council? If it is the latter that might quickly eat up half of the bills...not to mention the stress.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What everyone else said. I'm glad Bernie's feeling better and your mom's there to help. I'm glad the police are on this guy's case.

You're entitled, imo, to both your medical bills, the value of your time off work, your time going back and forth to appointments, being at appointments, mileage expenses, etc. Will you get all that? Proably not, but half of the vet bills is completly unfair and suggests that this is somehow your fault, which it absolutely not, not even one tiny little bit.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I am glad that you and Bernie are healing, but I think the other dog owner is liable for all your expenses.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

I have very good experiences with a soft laser therapy when my dogs have open wounds. It stimulates the skin and flesh to heal faster. When Andy had his last accident with a hole as big as the inside of my hand (a kind of triangle - caused by some piece of wood while running in the yard), we went to laser therapy three days a week. He healed a lot faster and his vet became a lot less scarier because he got half of their treaties every time we went.

The laser looked like a showerhead, only with light instead of water.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

• 2 months later...

UPDATE!

Hi everyone. I know it's been a while since Bernie's skin debriding procedure back on 7/19/15 that he had to have because the dog bite caused an infection that killed the skin.

Because the leg wound was so large, and because the vet cut down to his muscle, he had to go to the vet twice a day for bandage changes for about a week after that. My mother (Bernie's grandma) was even kind enough to drive to Wisconsin from Missouri to help us with his vet appointments. Both Justin and I finally had a few normal days where we could go to work and actually do some laundry!

A few weeks after the skin debriding, his bandage changes were decreased to just once a day for the next month or so. Also, once a week at the least (sometimes twice a week), Bernie's vet was performing laser therapy to stimulate the growth of new granulation tissue (new tissue/skin) ... free of charge!

We got really excited around the middle of August when Dr. Collins decreased Bernie's bandage changes to every other day. The wound was healing well and thus not seeping as much stuff, so the bandage could stay on longer. A few weeks later, his bandage changes decreased to just a few times a week. He still needed the big bandage, though, to keep his whole leg free of dust and debris since the very middle of his wound didn't yet have the new granulation tissue.

Just a few weeks ago on September 5, our vet took his big bandage off, and — voila! — granulation tissue had formed in the very middle of the wound! And the big bandage changes were no more!

His wound is now just a pink sliver on his leg. And Dr. Collins is letting us go a whole TWO WEEKS without a vet visit! Actually, Bernie's next visit to the vet is scheduled because he is due for his annual shots in October.

This has been a truly horrible ordeal, but it seems to finally be coming to a close.

How about pictures?

Here was Bernie in the beginning after he got attacked on 7/12/15. He gravitated toward the office room at our house and then stayed there. This was odd since the office room isn't really his favorite spot when he is healthy. Justin and I even slept on the floor with Bernie for about the first week while he felt that he needed to stay in that room.

He was lethargic and was doped up on 3 painkillers and 2 antibiotics. We had to drain his grenade-style drain once a day. We shoved pills down his throat since he was not interested in any food or treats. He lost about 10 pounds in one week! The process of him laying down from being in a standing position took him at least an hours worth of attempts because his leg was so painful with bending.

photo%2012_zpsx747k0h6.jpg

Here was his leg a few days after they drained the abscess and inserted the tube drain into his leg. Unfortunately, even with antibiotics, draining the abscess and the new drain, the skin in that area had become black and died. (PS: And it smelled BAD!) So this was not too long before the skin debriding.

Bernie-infection_zpsdab2vlgn.jpg

After skin debriding. Gruesome, yes, but necessary! At this point, he actually was acting like himself and was back to eating normally.

Wound-7-21-15_zps4k7iuk7v.jpg

Bernie's big bandages came in all colors — sometimes pink! He also had red, purple, royal blue, baby blue, mint green, dark green, brown, gray, orange ... and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Bandage-pink3_zpsbqunwpcg.jpg

His wound kept getting smaller and smaller — here it was on 8/8/15:

Wound%208-8-15_zpsrrulm9jl.jpg

And here is his wound today!

IMG_7161_zpsoxjnop3i.jpg

Bernie is a happy boy!

IMG_6986_zpsvpaswbe9.jpg

Edited by Laurenbiz

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Holy cow, what an ordeal. So glad he's doing so much better. If it were me, I'd give that poor guy's body a chance to rest and hold off on those vaccinations. At least do only rabies if he's do for that and hold off on the others. End unsolicited advice. ;) Really glad he's pretty much healed up. That wound was horrific.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

So glad he has healed well! :wub:

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yikes! I can't believe what you've all been through the past couple of months. Glad life is getting back to normal. Kudos to everyone and :kiss2 for handsome Bernie.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Well done, all of you. Yay Bernie!!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

It's good to read that Bernie is doing so well.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

So glad to see Bernie healed up. That was a terrible injury.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

A round of applause to you for taking care of him so well. It's so heartwarming when the hard work you are putting into them is showing these amazing healing results. Congrats in order, really. Good job Bernie.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest FordRacingRon

HOw is Bernie (and yourself) mentally? This looks a lot and sound s lot like what Leia went through when she was three (now 12 1/2) and it did seem to take forever to heal physically but mentally she was a wreck for months when it came to walks. It was perhaps 6 months before I could get her out to walk again without freezing up.

Wow, he look great! Thank you for the update. What an ordeal you've all been through.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest GreyOrchard

Dreadful experience. Benie's puncture wounds are doing what puncture wounds often do: filling up with infection that needs to find a way out. Light walking will be good for his circulation and moving the infection up and out of the leg. Just a few very short walks a day are very good for keeping him flexible and not lying around thinking about his wounds all day. The other dog never should have been off a leash to begin with.

For future reference, generally when an attack is taking place, it is never ever a good idea to grab the offending dog by the collar. It is a guarantee that you will get a good bite. Rather, it is best to kick it away and roar at it. Sorry if this sounds so brutal, but if there is a choice between saving my own dog and "being nice" to the offending dog, my dog is more important.