Scared It's Cancer!

Guest MurphysMom

Guest MurphysMom

We adopted Murphy a little over two weeks ago; when we picked her up from the kennel her ankle was lightly wrapped because she had rolled it during play and wouldn't stop licking it. It didn't seem to be getting better, so we had our vet out on Saturday to take a look. She is very concerned that it may be bone cancer, though she said it might be something more easily manageable, like arthritis. Our rescue was very wonderful and offered to pay for Murphy's x-rays, which she will be getting tomorrow.

I wasn't expecting to hear the possibility of the C-word two weeks into adopting our first greyhound! So hoping it's not that... my husband is very adamant that we can't afford amputation, if that's what Murphy ends up needing. I'm very adamant that we can figure it out, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

What's killing me is hearing people say "oh, well it's a good thing this is happening so soon after adoption, this way you're not as attached as you would be if it happened a few years down the road." Someone even said we should return Murphy, like she's a faulty fashion accessory. What is wrong with people?

Murphy's been here two weeks and she's already stolen my soul clean away. How do they do that? :beatheart

Not sure if I'm looking for advice, or sympathy, or what! Just had to get it off my chest...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MurphysMom

I've read some articles recently that show how our brains release oxytocin when we pet our dogs, which is the same hormone as when mothers interact with their babies. That is how they steal your heart so quickly :)

That would make sense! :nod My husband was watching me coo to Murphy and he said "the way you treat her makes me think you need a baby to take care of" and I said "how about another greyhound?"

Yay, Greyhound adult babies, what could be better?

MurphysMom, hang in there and stay close to your beloved hound, she needs you more than ever. She trusts you, never forget that.

We will keep you in our thoughts :grouphug

15915127311_7ffb7b5f61_q.jpg

MacKenzie McPherson

hoping it's something simple that can be easily fixed. :hope Please keep us posted.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

If there is any uncertainty after the x-rays, I'd have Dr Cuoto do a second opinion. You can send him the digital X-ray and he will do the analysis for a flat fee. He is the man when it comes to diagnosing cancer in greys.

Instructions for submitting x-rays are on his website if you should need them. http://www.coutovetconsultants.com/

Hoping that it's something minor and that you and Murphy have many years together.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

What's killing me is hearing people say "oh, well it's a good thing this is happening so soon after adoption, this way you're not as attached as you would be if it happened a few years down the road." Someone even said we should return Murphy, like she's a faulty fashion accessory. What is wrong with people?

Murphy's been here two weeks and she's already stolen my soul clean away. How do they do that? :beatheart

I'm really sorry to hear the news. I hope it's not OS.

I adopted Crystal, (she wasn't my first, nor was she young) but at the time of adoption she seemed healthy. I lost her to hemangiosarcoma 18 days later. It hurts just as bad as having one for 15 yrs. Her picture is my wallpaper on my work computer.

That crap above is just that. Crap. It doesn't take long at all to fall in love with these wonderful hounds.

If it is bad news, what about the Go Fund Me page? Or, do you have Care Credit? It's interest free for several months just as long as you pay it off in that time frame. (if you can't pay if off in the no-interest time frame then transfer to another credit card because they do wallop you otherwise. How else could they make money)

Also, if you are lucky and it's nothing........GET INSURANCE! Healthy Paws, Embrace, and Trupanion are good ones. I think another is Pet Plan, but not sure.

Edited by MP_the4pack

Guest MurphysMom

I'm really sorry to hear the news. I hope it's not OS.

I adopted Crystal, (she wasn't my first, nor was she young) but at the time of adoption she seemed healthy. I lost her to hemangiosarcoma 18 days later. It hurts just as bad as having one for 15 yrs. Her picture is my wallpaper on my work computer.

That crap above is just that. Crap. It doesn't take long at all to fall in love with these wonderful hounds.

If it is bad news, what about the Go Fund Me page? Or, do you have Care Credit? It's interest free for several months just as long as you pay it off in that time frame. (if you can't pay if off in the no-interest time frame then transfer to another credit card because they do wallop you otherwise. How else could they make money)

Also, if you are lucky and it's nothing........GET INSURANCE! Healthy Paws, Embrace, and Trupanion are good ones. I think another is Pet Plan, but not sure.

Thank you so much for your kind words! My heart just breaks for you and Crystal, how lucky was she to have you :heart

I've definitely considered Go Fund Me; I've never heard of Care Credit! I'll look into that, if it's bad news.

If we are lucky and it is nothing, we are definitely getting insurance!! I had insurance on my horse when he colicked and thank goodness, because his surgery would have been over $8k without it... I'm blessed to still have him around 7 years later (and still going strong!). I know the value of pet insurance! My husband is less supportive in this because "it's a dog," he's very practical and frugal like that. I love him to death and I get it, though the "it's an animal" attitude does make it harder.

From one Murphy's mom to another, congratulations on your new baby, and I really hope it's something treatable like a sprain or arthritis, keep us posted.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I hope it's something Murphy will quickly get over.

Did you receive any 'transition' insurance when you adopted her? I know I'm in the UK and so it might be different here, but the group I adopted mine from always gives 3 or 4 weeks insurance to new adopters (courtesy of one of the pet insurance companies - probably so that you continue it long term with the providers).

Dippy (Dinky Dipstick) and Velvet (Redbrick Velvet). Remembering sweet handsome Rebel (Emporio Rebel).

Guest MurphysMom

I hope it's something Murphy will quickly get over.

Did you receive any 'transition' insurance when you adopted her? I know I'm in the UK and so it might be different here, but the group I adopted mine from always gives 3 or 4 weeks insurance to new adopters (courtesy of one of the pet insurance companies - probably so that you continue it long term with the providers).

Thank you!

No, unfortunately we didn't receive 'transition' insurance, what an awesome idea though! I haven't heard of it. Our rescue was so gracious to offer to pay for Murphy's X-rays.

How long does it take to fall in love with a greyhound? Love is often just a mouse click away. Thank goodness Murphy landed with you. Hoping with everyone else that this is a blip on the radar and hopefully can be easily resolved. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest MurphysMom

If there are no x rays how did the vet come up with an osteo diagnosis?

It isn't a diagnosis, it is a concern which is why we are getting the X-rays.

Praying and sending good thoughts your way. I so hope it's something minor and easy to treat, but Murphy is very lucky to be in your care regardless.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Guest WildSparkler

Prayers for good news! I can't image going through that. We've had our girl for about 6 months now -- it doesn't take long to fall in love with them! The first day we saw her, we were only supposed to meet her to see what she was like/if she would be a good fit/etc. My boyfriend decided we would not leave unless she came with us. Which meant we also had to get the kennel, bed, food, et all that day too:)

Guest Scouts_mom

Please keep us informed on what is happening with Murphy. There are a lot of people here sending good thoughts her way.

How old is Murphy? If she is young it is more likely to be something like a sprain than cancer (although it does happen sometimes in the youngsters).

Care Credit is wonderful--I used it when my Henry needed emergency surgery. It is not just for pets--I noticed my dentist takes it as well. However not all vets do. My main vet doesn't--she says it is easier and less expensive to her to just work out a payment plan directly with the client.

People have fallen in love with the picture of the dog, before the dog was even their's. In know because that was the situation with us and Paul.

I will keep your girl in good thoughts and prayers.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds