Dog Fight - Sarge 0, Riley 0

We had a fight over a Dentastix. 5 seconds, an $800 late night trip to the e-vet and lots of stitches later, we could use some advice. Riley's leg was partially degloved but got nicely stitched back together. He has a bunch of small punctures on his head and a laceration on his nose. Sarge has only one major wound but it is a very deep bite to the shoulder muscle. The vet couldn't get a drain in it so it's closed. Both of them are in Cones of Shame. Despite the beatdown, I doubt Riley learned his lesson so from now on they are getting treats in separate rooms.

1) What can we do to make them more comfortable? They came home with some Rimadyl but only for 2 days and today is day 2. They look like they are still in pain, though they are moving easier than they were. 2) What are early signs of wound infections? To me, the wounds look clean and I don't notice any unusual swelling or pus but need to keep an eye on them especially Sarge's shoulder. 3) When can the Cones of Shame come off? After stitches are removed?

I stole my brother's treat right out of his mouth because I didn't think he would fight back.

20141125_182118_1_zps3290d5f1.jpg

I fought back.

20141125_185740_1_zpsfe464149.jpg

20141125_201626_1_zpsce5b9043.jpg

20141125_194554_1_zps00b22e3d.jpg

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

So, so sorry. We just went through this with Toni and Cash, though Toni didn't have a scratch on her afterward. Cash had a 12 inch gash all along her side.

Cash has been on antibiotics and a pain med for two weeks. She would NOT have been able to be without them after 2 days. They should have sent you home with something for wounds that bad - tramadol, codeine - something. I would be on the phone asap in the morning.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

yep i'd be getting more pain relief.... looks like those cones will have to stay on as long as they have stitches.... a basket muzzle with a poop guard might be more comfortable for them though

Make sure you have pain meds to get you through the holiday. You could use a bite not collar instead of the cones. If you don't have one, check YouTube for videos to make one with a towel and vet wrap. Good luck. Manuka honey works well to keep wounds healthy. I got Ace with 72 stitches in his lower leg,and the wound was an infected mess. His owner had died, and his caretaker did not know to check the wound. My vet suggested sugar, but I find manuka honey easier to use. When you put it on the wound, a non stick pad will stay in place for you to wrap it.

If you can't get the honey but have a feed store near you buy some vetericyn -kind of pricey but works so well. You can use this on any animal or person. I don't agree with going without pain meds. If I'd been hurt that much I'd sure want something to make me feel better so why not our dogs.

Pain meds for sure. I think if they leave their wounds alone, you won't need the cones.I agree with looking for signs of swelling, heat & pus. Hugs all around.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I'd hesitate incorporating more pain meds too. They will act sore because they are sore, but that's a good thing. You want them to stay calm and give those wounds and stitches a chance to heal.

If they weren't given antibiotics, I think I'd be checking with my vet on that. I've never had a bite that didn't need antibiotics because their mouths are very germy.

I've never used e-cones for anything, but I do use barriers like T-shirts/shorts or muzzles with poop cups installed. I find the cones are just way too uncomfortable for them. I've also considered a "bite not" collar, which just makes their neck rigid so they can't bend to lick the wounds.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I checked with the e-vet and they were reluctant to prescribe more pain meds. They agreed with Susan that if they start feeling too good they will start bouncing around and rip themselves open again. They had given us just enough to take the edge off until they started to feel better on their own. Humans can take more pain meds because they know they still have to be careful, but dogs don't have the same mindfulness and some pain will keep them from getting too frisky. They are moving a lot better today but I'd still prefer to give them a little something. When DH goes into town today he'll stop by and lobby them for at least a couple more days of Rimadyl, nothing too powerful, but enough to at least take the edge off.

We can't muzzle because of Riley's nose (and if you muzzle one you've got to muzzle both) but will look into the DIY Bite-Not collar and also Manuka honey and/or Vetericyn. I know they won't leave the wounds alone. Riley can't reach his leg but he is trying, even if he can only lick the inside of his cone. :lol Sarge slipped out of his cone last night and went straight for his stitches. We caught him right away though.

ETA: Both are on antibiotics for 2 weeks.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

68sgSRq.jpg

Another way to watch for infection is pay careful attention to the wound smell.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I actually disagree about the pain killers. Too much pain relief and they'll be acting like they don't have stitches, which could then easily tear open.

Archaic thinking. Published studies proving pets heal quicker when in less pain.

I would ring your vet and ask for advice. That shoulder wound looks rather painful. I assume they are were prescribed antibiotics?

Editor to add-oops just read they are taking abs :-)

Edited by tbhounds

Archaic thinking. Published studies proving pets heal quicker when in less pain.

Yes, thank you. If you truly can't keep them calm on your own, then ask them to prescribe a mild sedative. No animal should intentionally be kept in pain.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

i would watch the wounds like a hawk, forget about feeling bad w/ the e.collars. if they are looking at all funky- consult w/ the vet. the stitches will itch as it heals, so remember the cones should keep them from nibbling . nasty looking wounds- personally i would avoid all treats.

OK, going to have to go back to the vet tonight. We got more Rimadyl and they seem to be feeling a lot better pain-wise, but Sarge's wound is starting to exude pus and it smells bad. Whole leg is swollen. I was afraid of that because the vet couldn't get a drain in there. They are both on Keflex 750 mg twice daily but I realize that won't always help if a wound gets abscessed. I think they're going to have to open it up and flush everything out.

We did the Manuka honey but it couldn't really get into the wound to help. For the superficial wounds on Riley's head it did wonders. As an experiment I even dabbed a tiny bit onto a stye on my eyelid and it shrank down to almost nothing overnight. Good stuff.

Kristen with

68sgSRq.jpg

We went back to the vet, and they flushed out Sarge's wound. They also drew some fluid out of his leg. He seems a lot happier. Riley also got checked out. His nose opened up but they think it'll be OK. Both of them are now extensively bandaged. Riley was messing up his leg because even though he couldn't lick it, he was mashing his cone against it trying to get at it. The vet's office has a collection of T-shirts and they found some that would fit each of them, so they now have T-shirts tied on to cover the bandages. If they leave this arrangement alone we'll keep the cones off. If they start messing with them the cones have to go back on. We need to go back on Sunday to have them checked out again, the wound flushed again and bandages changed.

Sarge is now on a new antibiotic called Simplicef. Hadn't heard of it before. The vet said it's more potent than the Keflex. He gets 200 mg once a day for 10 days.

Much to Riley's chagrin he was outfitted in a coral T-shirt with sparkly beads around the collar. Contrast this with his skull and barbed wire tough-guy collar. :lol

20141128_181302_1_zps13834da0.jpg

Sarge's shirt is a bit less humiliating.

20141128_182124_1_zpsa4cdc5f2.jpg

Kristen with

68sgSRq.jpg

They go back to get their bandages changed tomorrow evening. They weren't able to get Sarge's shoulder bandaged, though he's got a compression bandage on his leg to help the swelling. He is leaking foul-smelling liquid but there's less of it than there was, the wound isn't swollen or hot anymore and I think he's just draining out the rest of the crap that was in there. He isn't keen on me looking at it or touching it so tomorrow we'll know more.

Kristen with

68sgSRq.jpg

Everybody's doing fine. Riley had his bandage changed and all looks well. Sarge's wound has greatly improved. I was correct in that the foul-smelling stuff was just the last of the old pus and junk being cleared out of the wound. The vet flushed it again and the inside of the wound looked bright red and healthy although some of the tissue around it isn't in great shape. She left the wound wide open so it can continue to drain. He goes back on Thursday to have it debrided under sedation. He had to go back into the Cone of Shame because he couldn't leave it alone. Riley gets to go cone-free because he's behaving himself. We are continuing with anti-bees and Rimadyl.

Kristen with

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest DogNewbie

I know (for horses anyways) you basically just want to take the edge off the pain. If you give them too much pain medication they are likely to feel a million times better, run around like an idiot and then tear stitches, make it worse etc. I know how hard it is to see your babies in pain, but if they re-injure themselves, the process is way slower. Best of luck to your pups!

Edited by DogNewbie