Dog Fight - Sarge 0, Riley 0

I know (for horses anyways) you basically just want to take the edge off the pain. If you give them too much pain medication they are likely to feel a million times better, run around like an idiot and then tear stitches, make it worse etc. I know how hard it is to see your babies in pain, but if they re-injure themselves, the process is way slower. Best of luck to your pups!

I wish people would abandon these thoughts. Pain control contributes to the healing process. There has been countless studies proving a pet with their pain controlled heals much quicker. U of Penn has many published studies. Sorry but, to allow a pet to remain in pain is not only cruel it's unexceptable in today's standards.

I wish people would abandon these thoughts. Pain control contributes to the healing process. There has been countless studies proving a pet with their pain controlled heals much quicker. U of Penn has many published studies. Sorry but, to allow a pet to remain in pain is not only cruel it's unexceptable in today's standards.

Even veterinarians seem to disagree with each other on this. The e-vet was adamant about not overdoing it on the pain meds lest they rip open their sutures, but our regular vet gave us a bunch more Rimadyl and a bunch of Tramadol to go with it. Sarge was whimpering after the wound flushing and it sounded like a little old man crying. Now he's comfortable, and he isn't going bonkers. He wags his tail when I walk by and he seems much happier, but he's still immobile for the most part. Riley doesn't seem to be in any pain now so he's off meds other than the antibiotics.

Sarge goes in tomorrow to have his wound debrided. That sounds like about as much fun as... well, having a wound debrided. :(

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Several vets in my local vet practice have different ideas about pain relief also with respect to Bender's arthritis. Some vets are scabby with the pain relief, but without it he just gets more muscle wastage.