How Your Dog Ran At The Track

dmdsmoxie

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi DIck

Wonder if you can tell us anything about Triumph McBones (our Rik T Bones)

Didn't have much of a career, but it would be interesting to see if he did anything at all :)

Triumph McBones ran 15 races with 13 of them at Dubuque and two at Naples both very good tracks. He had a little early speed, needed to be on top to have a chance to win and he usually had trouble making the top.

You said it would be interesting to see if he did anything at all and he did, he was a fighter. The second of his two races at Naples he interfered and he was thrown off the track. He was gone for four months, I'm sure back at the farm trying to get him to stop fighting. it is almost impossible to do. I have a dog at the farm now that would be at a track, but she's a fighter and I hold out no hope she will run very long.

So after four months he schooled and didn't fight. His second schooling race he got a bore out comment which is turning your head and the full comment said something I have never seen, it was bore out caused trouble. LOL So he was done racing.

Remember what we call fighting is almost always looking to play and not fight. You always need to keep your head straight looking at the lure and not looking to play.

Triumph McBones ran 15 races with 13 of them at Dubuque and two at Naples both very good tracks. He had a little early speed, needed to be on top to have a chance to win and he usually had trouble making the top.

You said it would be interesting to see if he did anything at all and he did, he was a fighter. The second of his two races at Naples he interfered and he was thrown off the track. He was gone for four months, I'm sure back at the farm trying to get him to stop fighting. it is almost impossible to do. I have a dog at the farm now that would be at a track, but she's a fighter and I hold out no hope she will run very long.

So after four months he schooled and didn't fight. His second schooling race he got a bore out comment which is turning your head and the full comment said something I have never seen, it was bore out caused trouble. LOL So he was done racing.

Remember what we call fighting is almost always looking to play and not fight. You always need to keep your head straight looking at the lure and not looking to play.

Thanks DIck,

Yes he's a lover, not a fighter but he ALWAYS needs to go and meet the other dogs on the street and if I don't let him walk over and say "hi" he cries like a baby.

However this "troublemaking gene" of his has turned him into an awesome therapy dog. He loves the attention when he goes to see the old folks, the special needs kids and his reading program :beatheart

Dick, a question: Does on track personality correlate with off-track personality? I know with Johnny, he is a big get-outta-my-face snarker, which to me is him saying "I'm Numero Uno, back off!" and he has to be in front of group walks! But he lives successfully with 4 cats and doesn't even try to chase them. Thanks!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Dick, a question: Does on track personality correlate with off-track personality? I know with Johnny, he is a big get-outta-my-face snarker, which to me is him saying "I'm Numero Uno, back off!" and he has to be in front of group walks! But he lives successfully with 4 cats and doesn't even try to chase them. Thanks!

I would say you are what you are. The alpha dog will always think he/she is alpha, it's the way they are made up. You as a human should be able to overcome who is alpha, it is you, but with other dogs in your pack I believe it would be hard if not impossible to have two alphas together.

Omegas on the other-hand look for guidance and you are the person that guides them. Betas would be the alpha, but are like the officers under a general.

So while it may take time, weeks or months, for a true personality to come out while going from track to adoption group to your house, I think in the end what you see in your pup is what he/she was at the track.

As others have said here on GT over the years, some things you have to accept and respect what the dog is saying to you. If he doesn't want you in his face then that should be respected. Better to respect some boundaries than to think the dog won't snap at you anymore because you have gained his trust. It only takes one time for the dog to say enough is enough and you have set him up to fail.

Thanks! He loves to give people kisses, it's other dogs he can't stand 99% of the time. Of course, I know he's telling the other dog to back off, but to other owners it looks like he is an aggressive butthead. His no-go is messing with his feet while he's laying down.

If he sits on the couch, he will tuck his head under my chin. :heart

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Dick,

If you have the time I would really appreciate your thoughts on Whiskey Heat, female, DOB 2015/06/12 please.

You were kind enough to give us your thoughts on our boy, Braska Damien ( now Ollie) a while ago. Whiskey Heat is his best buddy. He loves to run with her and I'm curious as to her track performance.

With very many thanks!

Hello Dick,

If you have the time I would really appreciate your thoughts on Whiskey Heat, female, DOB 2015/06/12 please.

You were kind enough to give us your thoughts on our boy, Braska Damien ( now Ollie) a while ago. Whiskey Heat is his best buddy. He loves to run with her and I'm curious as to her track performance.

With very many thanks!

Whiskey Heat ran 4 maiden races coming in last each time. He ran a lot of schooling races, but was not very good in those either. The only race he ever won was the one to your couch. His sire is Sure As a very nice Australian dog. Your pup is black because that is almost all Sure As throws, He has a few blue mixed in and one black and white.

I'm sure he is a great pet.

Hi! Do you have any info on TNJ Diamond? Thanks!

TNJ Diamond ran 62 races all at Gulf. She had good early speed and needed it because she needed to be in front at the turn to win. She won once from second, but my guess is the dog she caught was quitting more than she was catching him. Once on top she usually had to hold on in the stretch to win as the finishers were usually gaining on her. She was in the money 29 of her 62 races and was a D/C dog.

They tried her in the shorter 330 yard races, but she didn't fare well in them.

If you want to see her race go here. There are 5 pages.

http://www.trackinfo.com/dog-search.jsp?keyword=TNJ+Diamond&x=5&y=4&by=dogname

What you need to know about the race is in the bold numbers.

The first bold number is the box she is in. The next two or three numbers, two if it is 330 yard race, are what position she is in at different points of therace. Not real important for you. The last number is her time of the race, not important for you, but the numbers just before the time is important as that is where she finished and how many lengths she was behind the winner. If she won the race it would be how many lengths she was in front of the second place dog.

She doesn't win any races on the first page, but on the second page she wins the second race up from the bottom. You will see she was in the 5 box and the nk means she won by a neck.

Dick

Whiskey Heat ran 4 maiden races coming in last each time. He ran a lot of schooling races, but was not very good in those either. The only race he ever won was the one to your couch. His sire is Sure As a very nice Australian dog. Your pup is black because that is almost all Sure As throws, He has a few blue mixed in and one black and white.

I'm sure he is a great pet.

Thank you SO much Dick, again. She is our friend's dog, and yes a lovely pet and you are right - she won the race of her life because her owners are wonderful. They will be very happy with that info. Much appreciated!

Hi Dick, any chance you have any info on either of our two pups? Larry is PTL Laroach, and Zeke is Hey Who Whiz It.

thanks!!! :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Hi Dick, any chance you have any info on either of our two pups? Larry is PTL Laroach, and Zeke is Hey Who Whiz It.

thanks!!! :)

PTL Laroach, Larry, ran 87 races all at Daytona. Larry was kind of a strange runner in that he had no consistency in what he did. If he broke 6th, 7th or 8th and was 6th 7th or 8th at the turn that is where he finished, If he was 3rd, 4th or 5th to the turn that is where he finished and the same if he was 1st or 2nd to the turn. He would have been a tough dog to figure out when to bet him.

Hey Who Whiz It, Zeke, ran 51 races between Pensacola, Jacksonville, Dubuque and Sarasota. He needed to be on top at the turn to have any chance to win. He had good early speed, but even when on top he was often trying to hang on at the end. Some dogs that need the front and don't get it will run backwards and end up 7th or 8th, but Zeke wasn't like that and if he was 2nd or 3rd to the turn he would usually end up in the money.

Kaias Red Foxx WW's Stardom

Kaias Redd Foxx Ran 131 races all at Derby Lane. While he needed to be 1st or 2nd, preferably 1st, to the turn he had real good speed out of the the box and to the turn so he was 1st or 2nd to the turn many times. He could get caught in the stretch, but I would say when that happened it was more a closer catching him than him fading.

He was an A/B dog with a record of 82 times in the money.

WW's Stardom ran 147 races between Derby Lane, Mardi Gras and Southland. He was another dog that needed the front to win. In lower grades he could finish and get up for a win from 3rd, but once he got to B he couldn't do that. He was more a B/C dog and was in the money 65 of his 147 races so not as consistent as Kaias Redd Foxx

I am curious about your view of Honor Shield. I know he ran about 70 races and had some success but to watch him run now, he is hopeless. I have never seen a retired greyhound with a respectable record that is so inept. He is clumsy, slow, and has zero chase drive. He can barely manage stairs and has tried to jump into closed vehicles. He is also oddly built with a chest a deep as any AKC greyhound. FWIW he is an absolute dream of a dog - affectionate, polite, gentle to a fault, and impeccably well behaved. Wicked good looking too. I just can't imagine him at the track.

Edited by KickReturn

Honor Shield ran 69 races between Flagler, Mardi Gras, Naples and St. Pete. When he could hit his break he had great early speed getting out to 5 and 6 length leads at times. He would have to hold on in the stretch and was often passed. Out of his 69 starts he was in the money 29 times with 5 wins.

Sometimes you wonder how a klutzy dog as a pet could be a decent racer, but they are. As far as jumping into the car remember as a male he never had to jump.

PTL Laroach, Larry, ran 87 races all at Daytona. Larry was kind of a strange runner in that he had no consistency in what he did. If he broke 6th, 7th or 8th and was 6th 7th or 8th at the turn that is where he finished, If he was 3rd, 4th or 5th to the turn that is where he finished and the same if he was 1st or 2nd to the turn. He would have been a tough dog to figure out when to bet him.

Hey Who Whiz It, Zeke, ran 51 races between Pensacola, Jacksonville, Dubuque and Sarasota. He needed to be on top at the turn to have any chance to win. He had good early speed, but even when on top he was often trying to hang on at the end. Some dogs that need the front and don't get it will run backwards and end up 7th or 8th, but Zeke wasn't like that and if he was 2nd or 3rd to the turn he would usually end up in the money.

thanks!!! Yes, Larry is a strange bird :D :D :D

I've always thought Zeke only ran 37 races, it's great to know he ran 51! unfortunately, he broke his leg very badly in his last race and that's why he is lying on our Slumberball right now :kiss2

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Could you tell me about CTW Maneater? I looked up her races on trackinfo. While it was really neat to be able to see her run, I have no clue how to read the page. Thank you!!

CTW Maneater ran 122 races between Gulf, Mardi Gras and Tri-State all very good tracks. She had decent early speed and would often get to the turn in the top three or four. While she wasn't a closer and wouldn't come from 3rd or 4th to win she also wasn't a dog that gave up her position very easily. Her wins were almost always from being 1st or 2nd to the turn.

She was in the money a very nice 76 out of her 122 races and I would say she was a B/C dog though she did win some A races.

Dick

CTW Maneater ran 122 races between Gulf, Mardi Gras and Tri-State all very good tracks. She had decent early speed and would often get to the turn in the top three or four. While she wasn't a closer and wouldn't come from 3rd or 4th to win she also wasn't a dog that gave up her position very easily. Her wins were almost always from being 1st or 2nd to the turn.

She was in the money a very nice 76 out of her 122 races and I would say she was a B/C dog though she did win some A races.

Dick

Thank you!!

• 1 month later...

Could you tell me about WW's Bull Fight? I know she ran in Alabama about 50 races, but really can't read the stats to understand them.

Ear mark: 74A-64403

Dam: WW Kyra No Bull (that line has always looked weird to me as it seems like WW Kyra No Bull is the offspring of dogs coming from same dam and sire but different litter)

Sire: WW Greys Drifter

My :heart Cameron (WW's Bull Fight) - Gotcha day: June 28, 2017

Little rascal Pirate (the cat) who wants to play with Cameron, but from a safe place. :heart

WW's Bull Fight ran 49 races all at Birmingham. She was a dog that really needed to be near the front at the turn, but her problem was she didn't have much early speed. When she did hit her break and made the turn in the top three she had a chance to win or be second.

In C and D she could close a little and improve her position. In B she was a little over her head and sometimes would lose position.

50 races isn't a bad career and she has a good home so thanks for adopting her.

Dick

WW's Bull Fight ran 49 races all at Birmingham. She was a dog that really needed to be near the front at the turn, but her problem was she didn't have much early speed. When she did hit her break and made the turn in the top three she had a chance to win or be second.

In C and D she could close a little and improve her position. In B she was a little over her head and sometimes would lose position.

50 races isn't a bad career and she has a good home so thanks for adopting her.

Dick

Thank you!

My :heart Cameron (WW's Bull Fight) - Gotcha day: June 28, 2017

Little rascal Pirate (the cat) who wants to play with Cameron, but from a safe place. :heart