How Your Dog Ran At The Track

dmdsmoxie

Dick, I recently got a three month old puppy. He's nga and has tattoos, but he won't be registered with his littermates (I don't think). Is there a place I can look for what the procedure is for getting his info on Greyhound Data, and any place else it needs to be?

Do you know the sire and dam? Since he has tatts the litter is registered with the NGA. However, there is a good chance none of the other dogs have registered names yet. That is because many owners wait till the dogs are about 15 months old to name them because if it looks like they won't make the track they adopt the pups out.

I can enter him into G-D if you give me his pet name, tatts, your full name if you want to be listed as the adopted owner. I will put a comment that he was never registered with the NGA and XXXX is his pet name. If you know why he was adopted out, injury or runt etc. I will put that in the comments also.

When I did my research paper on the adoption rate I contacted a number of adoption groups because I wanted to get an idea of how many pups they got that were unregistered. A number of these groups entered pups into G-D with the comment he wasn't NGA registered and I have done a few because of their idea.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So would it be weird if he was on GD and the rest of his litter isn't yet? I also don't want to step on toes of his breeder -since she's been very supportive and wonderful - as in, a breach of etiquette. Should I just wait til she registers the rest?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I don't know as I don't always get along with etiquette. LOL If you want to wait and when the rest of the litter is on G-D let me know and I will add your pup. He will never be on TrackInfo because TI gets their information from the NGA and your pup won't be registered with them.

• 1 month later...

Could you interpret DS Toffee for me?

DS Toffee ran 167 races between Flagler, Naples, Southland and Mardi Gras all top tracks with SL being the best in the country. He was strictly a router with most of his races being run at 660 yards or more. He had no real early speed more often than not breaking 5th or worse. However, his position early in the race didn't matter to him as he was a closer and could come from any position early on and win. Just glancing at his lines I would say over 100 of his races were in A, AA or stake races. Some tracks the top grade is A and the other tracks have AA, but either way he was in top grade most of his career. Of his 29 wins 18 were in top top grade or stake races.

He was a real nice racer and I bet a real nice pet.

Dick

• 4 months later...

I am poking around on greyhound-data.com (Its Archer's first race day anniversary today) and can reason out what each of the stats mean on the racing history page, except for one: SP. Does anyone know what this means?

Edited by Alyse

Alyse with Archer (KB's Harper)

I am poking around on greyhound-data.com (Its Archer's first race day anniversary today) and can reason out what each of the stats mean on the racing history page, except for one: SP. Does anyone know what this means?

Those are the odds he went off at. The last race he was 5.60 so that would mean he would pay $5.60 for every dollar bet on him to win. The minimum bet is $2.00 so he would pay $13.20 because you get your $2.00 bet back.

G-D is based in Germany and I don't know what SP translates to. Here in the U.S. we would have just put odds.

Dick

PJ Barney Rubble ran 13 races between Derby Lane and Southland. He did run one race at Wheeling where he got hurt. He had real good early speed, but no bottom so he usually gave it up in the stretch. He was at DL first so the move to SL is a little puzzling since he now had to run 583 yards instead of 550. The move to Wheeling seemed like the place he would do well. The track surface is faster and not as tiring and he only had to run 548 yards. Of course he got hurt and never got the chance to show what he could do on a track that seemed like the right fit.

Hello!

We have a new greyhound, retired racer.

Winta Hightower, F, 8/23/2013. Former Race Owner Steve Sarras

I know she raced in 99 races but would love some interpretation to her results as we are new to looking at the racing charts.

Thank you :)

Winta Hightower ran her 99 races between Palm Beach, Orange Park, which is near Jacksonville, Naples and Southland. She had no early speed and if she was going to run it was done from the middle of the backstretch to the finish line. She was consistently 6th, 7th or 8th out of the box and really didn't improve her position much at the first turn. If she was going to run she would start picking dogs off going down the backstretch and contine that run all the way to the finish line. She only won 8 races so most of the time she didn't pass the leader, but she was in the money, 4th or better, 48 times so basically half her races. They tried her in the longer 660 yard course and she didn't do much better at the longer distance than she did running the 550 yard sprint races.

She did her best at Naples and that was probably because Naples is a course that is known to favor dogs that run in the middle of the track, which she did. However, Naples is a seasonal track and she had to move once the track closed for the season.

If you want to see her run this is her TrackInfo page.

http://www.trackinfo.com/dog-search.jsp?keyword=Winta+Hightower&x=2&y=1&by=dogname

If you go to page two the second race from the bottom is her 770 yard marathon win. What you need to know if you watch any of her races are the numbers in bold. On her marathon win you will see

7 1 1 7 1 2 1 nk

That means she was in the 7 box, she broke 1st, she was 1st by 7 lengths heading down the backstretch, she was still 1st by 2 lengths turning for home and won by a neck. In other races where she isn't on top those secondary numbers are showing how far behind the leader she is and how far behind she was at the finish. There is no secondary number as they turn for home except for the lead dog.

She was a nice racer that was always trying and consistently in the money. because of her low number of wins she raced mostly in grades C and D.

Dick

In order to be a closer you have to be able to make split-second decisions. You have to decide whether to go inside, outside or between dogs to pass them. This is all happening in real time at 40 mph.

The greatest closer I ever saw was the great All-American Malka. Many times she would be 4 or 5 lengths behind the 7th place dog as the went by the wire the first time, but most people knew to watch the back of the pack and not the leaders because more often than not Malka would fire going down the backstretch. Once she did it was one furious run to the finish line and beyond. once she fired there was little doubt she would catch all the dogs. the only thing in question was whether she would catch the leaders before or after the wire. Inside, outside or between dogs she had no fear and watching her weave through traffic was exciting to watch.

This is so great of you to do. Can you tell me about RTR Honey Bee and Jhawk Colt Ford please?

RTR Honey Bee ran 41 races between Palm Beach and Sanford Orlando. She had a little early speed, but needed more as she needed the lead at the turn to have any chance to win because she would tire in the stretch and get passed. her problem was she didn't have the early foot to get the lead most times. Consequently she only had one win and one second. She was third 6 times and fourth 6 times and 14 times in the money out of 41 races isn't very good. Your couch was the place for her and I'm sure she is a great pet.

Jhawk Colt Ford ran 80 races between Flagler, Ebro, Sarasota and Sanford Orlando. He had very little early speed, but could close. He was in the money 34 of his 80 races with 4 wins and 7 2nds. He was a C/D dog that tried most every race he ran. He ran at so many tracks because the first three are seasonal with Ebro and Sarasota running a circuit. So as one closed the other would open. He ran a lot of the longer 660 yard races. Ebro's route course is a short 627 yards.

Dick

In order to be a closer you have to be able to make split-second decisions. You have to decide whether to go inside, outside or between dogs to pass them. This is all happening in real time at 40 mph.

The greatest closer I ever saw was the great All-American Malka. Many times she would be 4 or 5 lengths behind the 7th place dog as the went by the wire the first time, but most people knew to watch the back of the pack and not the leaders because more often than not Malka would fire going down the backstretch. Once she did it was one furious run to the finish line and beyond. once she fired there was little doubt she would catch all the dogs. the only thing in question was whether she would catch the leaders before or after the wire. Inside, outside or between dogs she had no fear and watching her weave through traffic was exciting to watch.

I think closers are the most exciting racers to watch! I got to watch a couple of my momma dog’s kids who were closers, so much fun!

Would you mind looking at L the Penguin and his buddy Essentialquality? :)

L the Penguin ran 136 races all at Bluffs Run which was the second best track in the country. He had very little early speed usually being near the back of the pack early in the race. he ran mostly route which at BR was 679 yards. he was always moving forward and even if he didn't have a great race he would move from 8th to 6th. he was always trying and was in the money 70 of his 136 races winning 18 of them. He was a solid B dog.

Essentialquality also ran at BR running 73 times. He ran both sprints and routes and had just a little early speed so like L the Penguin he was a closer, but coming from as far back. He won a few A races and even won a stake qualifying race. He was in the money a very nice 49 times in his 73 races. He was more an A or A/B dog and was a very nice racer.