How Your Dog Ran At The Track

dmdsmoxie

Hi Dick,

I have a new boy, PJ Cognac http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=vHPOYT&d=PJ+Cognac&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland= Would love to know what you can tell me about him.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PJ Cognac ran 89 races between Tri-State and Southland. TS is a top 5 track and SL is the number 1 track in the country. Early in his career he ran sprints and didn't have much speed out of the box, but he could close. So if he broke 7th or 8th he usually finished poorly. If he could break 4th or 5th he usually ran well. I call this defending your lane. If you are going to rush the turn you need a clear lane to run. When you 7th or 8th other dogs come from the outside in or the inside out and block your lane. You haven't defended your lane. When you break decent other dogs don't drift in or out to block you. Most dogs aren't slashers either going in or out so just being next to most dogs prevents them from blocking you.

That was probably more information that you needed to know.

Once around the turn 3rd or 4th or 5th he would close and improve his position many times and even get up for a win.

They moved him to SL since their sprint course is 583 yards instead of 550, but the competition was was to much for him and after 9 races at SL he was moved back to TS. They put him in routes, which at TS are 677 yds and not the typical 660 yds, and a couple of things happened. He could now break better since he was running with longer distance dogs. His non sprinter break was still better than a lot of true distance dogs break so he would consistently be 2nd, 3rd or 4th after the break. The flip side to this is closing sprinters don't always become closing routers, and he didn't. He could maintain his position or maybe improve a little, but he wasn't a closer. So he was in the money quite a bit, but only occasional won a race.

He was in the money 46 out of his 89 races, but if you take his 9 races he ran at SL, where he only had one 3rd, he was 45 out of 80 races at TS.

He was a nice A/B dog.

If you want me to add his pet name or your full name as the owner just post it here.

Dick

PJ Cognac ran 89 races between Tri-State and Southland. TS is a top 5 track and SL is the number 1 track in the country. Early in his career he ran sprints and didn't have much speed out of the box, but he could close. So if he broke 7th or 8th he usually finished poorly. If he could break 4th or 5th he usually ran well. I call this defending your lane. If you are going to rush the turn you need a clear lane to run. When you 7th or 8th other dogs come from the outside in or the inside out and block your lane. You haven't defended your lane. When you break decent other dogs don't drift in or out to block you. Most dogs aren't slashers either going in or out so just being next to most dogs prevents them from blocking you.

That was probably more information that you needed to know.

Once around the turn 3rd or 4th or 5th he would close and improve his position many times and even get up for a win.

They moved him to SL since their sprint course is 583 yards instead of 550, but the competition was was to much for him and after 9 races at SL he was moved back to TS. They put him in routes, which at TS are 677 yds and not the typical 660 yds, and a couple of things happened. He could now break better since he was running with longer distance dogs. His non sprinter break was still better than a lot of true distance dogs break so he would consistently be 2nd, 3rd or 4th after the break. The flip side to this is closing sprinters don't always become closing routers, and he didn't. He could maintain his position or maybe improve a little, but he wasn't a closer. So he was in the money quite a bit, but only occasional won a race.

He was in the money 46 out of his 89 races, but if you take his 9 races he ran at SL, where he only had one 3rd, he was 45 out of 80 races at TS.

He was a nice A/B dog.

If you want me to add his pet name or your full name as the owner just post it here.

Dick

Thanks so much Dick! His pet name is Cian (kee-in). :) He's also 80 lbs.

Edited by sweetdogs

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Can you tell me about T's Randy Savage?

I know his best was a 2nd out of 9 races.

As you can imagine there isn't much to tell from a 9 race career. T's Randy Savage. he was named after the late professional wrestler Randy "Macho Man" Savage, ran his 9 races at Sarasota. As you noted he had one 2nd and the rest of the races he was out of the money. He did have a little early speed breaking and being to the turn 3rd or 4th, but from there he ran backwards finishing 6th, 7th or 8th seven times.

I'm sure he is a better pet than a racer and he is right where be belongs, on your couch.

I can put his pet name and your name as his owner on his G-D page if you want to post that information here.

Dick

Would love to get details on my guy, P Kay Ruger. Thanks in advance!

P Kay Ruger ran 156 races between Daytona, Wheeling and Jacksonville. Most of those races were at Daytona. His break wasn't that good, but if he could rush the turn 4th or 5th he would usually be in the money or win because he could close a little. I found it a little strange they would send a dog with little early speed from Daytona, a low end track, to Wheeling, our second best track and a track that demands speed to the turn. As expected he didn't do well there and was moved to Jax which is a good mid-level track and a closer can do well there. As it turned out he didn't do well there either, but it was a better choice of tracks and after Jax it was back to Daytona.

He was in the money 93 out of his 156 races which is a nice number.

He was a hard trying dog that was usually moving forward.

As I said above, and this is for anyone, if you want me to add his pet name and your name as the adoptive owner just post that information here.

Dick

Would love to know about Kycera (who now goes by Mulligan) and Kebo Tina Turner (who now goes by Xena). Adopted by Cricket & Cheryl.

Thanks in advance!

Cricket

Kycera ran 44 races between Palm Beach and Sanford Orlando. She started out at PB which is a very good mid-level track and she didn't do well. PB is a track that requires early speed and she didn't display any early speed often times getting to the turn no better than 5th or 6th. So she was moved to Sanford Orlando a low end track. Here she did pretty good as she displayed early speed and at times getting to the turn on top. She needed to be on top to win as she would either lose ground in the stretch or just hold her position. Never closing.

Kebo Tina Turner ran 71 races between Daytona, Wheeling and Sanford Orlando. She was a dog with a good break and a good rush to the turn. She needed that early speed as she wasn't a dog that was going to close from 4th or 5th to win. At times she would be 2nd and win, but I think that was more a product of the dog in front quitting as opposed to her closing to catch the front runner. Many early speed dogs are quitters in the stretch as they exert all their energy in the early part of the race, but Xena wasn't like that. If she was 2nd or 3rd to the turn she would usually end up 2nd or 3rd or move up or down one position so she was a hard trying dog.

I have edited their G-D pages to show their pet names and the two of you as the adopted owners.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/db.php?i=1680870&time=1492626441

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kebo+tina+turner&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland=

Dick

Edited by dmdsmoxie

Just for fun, a video of our Hermon, aka Big Block. http://www.greyhound-data.com/play.htm?video=%2Fvideo2%2FAU%2FMAN%2F2010%2FMAN-2010-01-07-HT01.mp4&name=Silver+Sands+Resort

Funnily enough, a close friend of mine worked as a track vet, and she checked him that day. Years later, we're all in NSW, and we realise Hermon and her had met before!

What you notice about the tracks in Oz is the longer sweeping turns as opposed to our sharper turns.

I wonder about impact this has on injuries, racing career length and so on...... American dogs tend to be larger too, although Hermon is by Kiowa Sweet Trey so has American half siblings all over the place!

As you can imagine there isn't much to tell from a 9 race career. T's Randy Savage. he was named after the late professional wrestler Randy "Macho Man" Savage, ran his 9 races at Sarasota. As you noted he had one 2nd and the rest of the races he was out of the money. He did have a little early speed breaking and being to the turn 3rd or 4th, but from there he ran backwards finishing 6th, 7th or 8th seven times.

I'm sure he is a better pet than a racer and he is right where be belongs, on your couch.

I can put his pet name and your name as his owner on his G-D page if you want to post that information here.

Dick

Yes, thank you.

His new name is "Leica Tiger" (Leica is German camera company pronounced: like-a).

My name is Mark Ehlers.

P Kay Ruger ran 156 races between Daytona, Wheeling and Jacksonville. Most of those races were at Daytona. His break wasn't that good, but if he could rush the turn 4th or 5th he would usually be in the money or win because he could close a little. I found it a little strange they would send a dog with little early speed from Daytona, a low end track, to Wheeling, our second best track and a track that demands speed to the turn. As expected he didn't do well there and was moved to Jax which is a good mid-level track and a closer can do well there. As it turned out he didn't do well there either, but it was a better choice of tracks and after Jax it was back to Daytona.

He was in the money 93 out of his 156 races which is a nice number.

He was a hard trying dog that was usually moving forward.

As I said above, and this is for anyone, if you want me to add his pet name and your name as the adoptive owner just post that information here.

Dick

Thanks so much Dick! He was retired with a broken leg and limps around with a metal plate now, but he can still pick up some impressive speed. :D I figured he must have been earning something to keep racing for that long. Wish I could figure out how to get his replays to load...

You can put down my name as Sarah Y. and I call him Rogue.

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

If you use Android, I don't think they'll play for you. I have to use my desktop for Track Data replays.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Thanks so much Dick! He was retired with a broken leg and limps around with a metal plate now, but he can still pick up some impressive speed. :D I figured he must have been earning something to keep racing for that long. Wish I could figure out how to get his replays to load...

You can put down my name as Sarah Y. and I call him Rogue.

Done.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=P+Kay+Ruger&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland=

Here is his Trackinfo page.

http://www.trackinfo.com/dog-search.jsp?keyword=P+Kay+Ruger&x=9&y=8&by=dogname

You can see he has over 10 pages of races. If you click "all" it will bring all of them up.

What you need to know is seen in the bold numbers.

Look at the second race down on page one where the comment says just missed.

The first bold number is the box he is in. The next three numbers are where he was at certain points during the race, not that important to you as you will be watching him run. The next bold numbers 3 .5 tell you he finished 3rd and lost the race by by half a length or .5.

So when you see a race where those last numbers are 1 followed by a number like 2 or 6.5 that means he won that race and won by 2 lengths or 6.5 lengths.

If you use Android, I don't think they'll play for you. I have to use my desktop for Track Data replays.

I've pulled them up on my HP laptop and they only seem to load partially. I'll get the dogs' names and number, but no video box shows up. Will check to see if anything needs to be updated.

EDIT: Well, looks like it was my flash player causing the problem! Now I've got a lot of races to watch... :D

Edited by fastpointydoge

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

• 1 month later...

Would love to get information on Volando Dewey.

Thanks very much!

Volando Dewey ran 97 races between Southland, Mardi Gras and Tri-State, all very good tracks. Most of his races at SL and MG were sprints, 583 yds at SL and 550 yds at MG, and routes, 677 yds, at TS. Once in a while he would break on top and go box to wire, but he was really a dog that didn't have a lot of early speed. He usually broke near the back of the pack and didn't have a great rush to the turn. he would work his way up to 5th or 4th or maybe 3rd in his sprint races. He seemed to like TS and the extra distance and he had more success there getting a number of 2nds and wins.

Of his 97 races he had 9 wins, 14 seconds, 17 thirds and 17 fourths for a total of 57 times in the money which is a nice percentage.

Dick

• 4 weeks later...

DK'S Stryker ran 20 races all at Daytona. He had no early speed, no rush to the turn and no late speed. LOL Since there are no other options he is right where he belongs, on your couch. He managed just two fourths in his 20 races.

Dick

Yeah, she is pretty lazy! I can see why she only had 20 races!

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Could you give some insight on Zeus Rising? Male, born 12/8/13, brindle. Much appreciated!

Zeus Rising ran 52 races all at Tri-State, one of our better tracks. He was a dog that basically ran how he broke. If he broke well and made the turn 3rd or 4th he would finish in the top 4 and when he broke poorly he ran at the back of the pack. His problem was he broke poorly more often than he broke well thus his 52 starts with only 19 times in the money. The thing was when he broke and made the turn 1st or 2nd he usually won which is why he has 8 wins out of his 19 times in the money. He won grade A races and ran in AA during his career.

If you want I can add your name to his G-D page as the adopted owner and I can add his pet name. If you have pictures you want added I can upload up to 3 pictures.

If you want me to do any of this post that info and pictures here.

Dick