How Your Dog Ran At The Track

dmdsmoxie

Hi, thanks for doing this. I adopted WW's Crystal Cut this fall. I'd love to hear her story. I know she had a litter of pups before coming to me. Also, as you mention in the post above, I'd love to have my information and her pictures added. Could I email them to you? I can't post pictures here any more with the new Photobucket issue.

WW's Crystal Cut ran 157 races between Dubuque, Mardi Gras, Southland, Naples, Flagler and Daytona. With the exception of Daytona those are all very good tracks. She had very little early speed and recognizing this she was put in to the 660 yd races. She seemed to handle the extra distance fine and while she still didn't have a lot of early speed she would at times break decent and even when she broke poorly she had more distance to make up ground.

She was in the money a very good 94 times in her 157 races and considering she ran at good tracks I'm sure that is why they bred her.

While she only won 15 races her in the money percentage was excellent. She was always trying to improve her position.

If you want to send me pictures and info to put on her G-D page send them to dmdsmoxie @ yahoo .com No spaces.

Dick

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Hi Dick! Could you tell me about my friend's hound, Howell Would?

Hi Sarah,

Sorry this took so long, but I missed your post. Sometimes I don't scroll down far enough on new posts.

Howell Would ran 94 races with all but three at Derby Lane, the other three were at Mobile. he was a dog that needed to be on top at the turn or he wasn't going to win. If he made the top he would sometimes give it up in the stretch. However, some dogs when they are front runners and don't get the lead they give up and run 7th or 8th, but Howell Would wasn't like that. He would still run hard and be in the money. He was in the money 44 of his 94 starts.

He was a C/D dog that did win a couple of C races, so he ran in B, but didn't do well.

Hello,

My hound ran under the flying barbaro, His name is now Aramis. I would love to know how he did!

Thanks

A

Aramis ran 22 races all at Derby Lane which is a very good track. He was a pretty good racer that didn't have great early speed, but was a good closer. He was a threat to win if he was 4th or better to the 1st turn and even when he was further back at the turn he would pass dogs and be in the money. He was in the money 18 of his 22 races and it looks like he got hurt in his last race and was retired.

While he never in grade A he ran a couple of 2nds and a couple of 4ths in A.

Dick

Killer Daphne?

Killer Daphne ran 14 races between Mardi Gras, St. Pete. and Sanford Orlando with 10 of those races at MG. She only had 1 win 2 thirds and fourth in those races so not very good. She looks likes a pacer to me and she only got to the turn on top once and won. Most of her other races she didn't break or rush and consequently she was out of the money. What ever position she was in at the turn she usually finished within one position up or down. So if she was 6th to the turn she was either 5th, 6th or 7th.

The times she was in the money she was at the turn 3rd or 4th.

She moved from MG to St. Pete and only ran one race, was off for 7 weeks and ran a few races at SO before she was retired. At St.Pete. she may have been injured, but it's also possible she was sent back to the farm to try and get her to break a little better.

Guest thebuiscuitlady

This is a fun thread! We just adopted two older boys who raced at op. I can see their race stats, but dont know how to interpret. They still love to race each other in the yard. Their names are cjs colin and wws triplecrown.

This is a fun thread! We just adopted two older boys who raced at op. I can see their race stats, but dont know how to interpret. They still love to race each other in the yard. Their names are cjs colin and wws triplecrown.

CJ's Colin was a really, really good racer. He spent most of his career in grade A with a record of 146 starts with 39 wins, 28-2nds 19- 3rds and 10- 4ths. Outside of them sending him to Naples for a stake race all his races were at Jacksonville/Orange Park.

He was all about speed getting out of the box quickly and getting to the turn on top. Sometimes he would have a 2, 3 4 or 5 length lead going down the backstretch. Sometimes he would get caught in the stretch, but he was a very good racer.

This is him winning the Sprint Classic Stakes. He is in the 7 box

http://www.trackinfo.com/video-box.jsp?raceid=gOP%2420151107E11

WW's Triplecrown ran 206 races all at Jax/OP Of the 206 races he had 24 wins 32- 2nds 40- 3rds and 29- 4ths so he too was a very good racer. He wasn't the class of Colin, but was very consistent.

His style of racing was totally different than Colin. He didn't have much early speed, but could rush the turn and be 2nd. 3rd or 4th to the turn. He had to do this to have a chance to win. He could close a little and could pass dogs. So once he got good position at the turn he was many times in the money or won.

There are a few races where he broke on top and those races he usually won. He wasn't a dog that usually gave up positions so if he was 4th or better to the turn he was usually in the money even if that meant just holding 4th.

Dick

Guest thebuiscuitlady

Thanks dick! My back yard is now very exciting. Neither of them would run the first month I had them, now its daily races. Funny, I can see those racing styles in their personalities. Colin, its all about the joy. Tripp as we call him, its about the competition,

Killer Daphne ran 14 races between Mardi Gras, St. Pete. and Sanford Orlando with 10 of those races at MG. She only had 1 win 2 thirds and fourth in those races so not very good. She looks likes a pacer to me and she only got to the turn on top once and won. Most of her other races she didn't break or rush and consequently she was out of the money. What ever position she was in at the turn she usually finished within one position up or down. So if she was 6th to the turn she was either 5th, 6th or 7th.

The times she was in the money she was at the turn 3rd or 4th.

She moved from MG to St. Pete and only ran one race, was off for 7 weeks and ran a few races at SO before she was retired. At St.Pete. she may have been injured, but it's also possible she was sent back to the farm to try and get her to break a little better.

:)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

WW Sole Society. 68 races.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th

Grade AA 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 1

Grade A 1 0 0 0 1 1 3 5

Grade B 3 0 0 4 3 2 5 2

Grade C 5 2 4 3 3 2 4 3

Grade D 1 1 2 0 0 0 1 0

GR Maiden 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0

GR Mixed B 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1

11 3 6 8 9 6 13 12

Edited by NewGrey2017

WW Sole Society. 68 races.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th

Grade AA 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 1

Grade A 1 0 0 0 1 1 3 5

Grade B 3 0 0 4 3 2 5 2

Grade C 5 2 4 3 3 2 4 3

Grade D 1 1 2 0 0 0 1 0

GR Maiden 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0

GR Mixed B 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1

11 3 6 8 9 6 13 12

WW Sole Society was a dog that needed to be 1st or 2nd to the turn to have a chance to win. You can see that by the numbers you posted. With only 3 second place finishes you know he is a front runner. With 25 seventh or eight place finished really solidifies that he was a front runner because once a front runner isn't where he needs to be he is just out for a stroll in the park with his friends.

Running 68 races at Wheeling, one of the best tracks in the country, and having 11 wins is pretty good. You can see by the numbers he was a solid C dog and there is nothing wrong with that.

Dick

I can add your pups adopted name, your name as the adopted owner and up to 3 pictures on the Greyhound-data website. If anyone wants this done leave the racing name, so I know where I am putting the information, along with the other information on this thread.

If anyone has a pup that died I can add the date of date.

Dick

thanks for doing this!

Night Kansas ( new to us, but adopted to another family about 5-6 years ago)

Canaan Blizzard (just retired...a Foster Fail for us...lol)

Janette

Rio aka El Rio (Dec. 4/07) - Home May 16, 2010
Tiana aka CTW Tyra Time (June 7/07 to December 9, 2016) - home July 1, 2010, we miss you terribly, Sweet Girl :weep

Willy aka Starz Predator (Oct. 15/06) - home Aug. 29, 2010
and littermates Merlin aka CTW Excalibur & Mirage aka CTW Mirage (Jan. 1/08) - home Dec. 5, 2010
& June 3, 2012
missing Beagle-Chihuahua, Kasie Lynn (March 15/95-Sept. 13/10)

thanks for doing this!

Night Kansas ( new to us, but adopted to another family about 5-6 years ago)

Canaan Blizzard (just retired...a Foster Fail for us...lol)

Janette

Night Kansas ran 77 races between Daytona, Melbourne and Birmingham. He was an early speed dog that needed to be on top at the turn to have a chance to win. He could and usually did get caught in the stretch as only having 3 wins would indicate. He did have 13 seconds and was in the money 35 of his 77 races.

They even tried him in twelve 330 yard races. The thinking is good to try this, but the problem is all the early speed dogs are in 330 races. So you have trouble getting to the front. He had one of his three wins in a 330, but was out of the money the other 11 times so it didn't work for him.

Canaan Blizzard ran 23 races with one being at derby Lane and the other 22 at Sanford Orlando. She did school at Flagler. Canaan Blizzard had very little early speed often being 6th, 7th or 8th out of the box and at the turn. She could close a little, but never won a race. When she broke a little better than usual she could get up for 2nd or 3rd.

Good you were a foster fail as she is where she should be, in a great home.

Dick

Night Kansas ran 77 races between Daytona, Melbourne and Birmingham. He was an early speed dog that needed to be on top at the turn to have a chance to win. He could and usually did get caught in the stretch as only having 3 wins would indicate. He did have 13 seconds and was in the money 35 of his 77 races.

They even tried him in twelve 330 yard races. The thinking is good to try this, but the problem is all the early speed dogs are in 330 races. So you have trouble getting to the front. He had one of his three wins in a 330, but was out of the money the other 11 times so it didn't work for him.

Canaan Blizzard ran 23 races with one being at derby Lane and the other 22 at Sanford Orlando. She did school at Flagler. Canaan Blizzard had very little early speed often being 6th, 7th or 8th out of the box and at the turn. She could close a little, but never won a race. When she broke a little better than usual she could get up for 2nd or 3rd.

Good you were a foster fail as she is where she should be, in a great home.

Dick

Thanks DIck,

maybe if they had used live bait for the races, Blizzard would have done better :hehe for two days she has been glued to our front window trying to get the bunnies in our front yard! Gotta love our pups!

Have a great day!

Janette

Rio aka El Rio (Dec. 4/07) - Home May 16, 2010
Tiana aka CTW Tyra Time (June 7/07 to December 9, 2016) - home July 1, 2010, we miss you terribly, Sweet Girl :weep

Willy aka Starz Predator (Oct. 15/06) - home Aug. 29, 2010
and littermates Merlin aka CTW Excalibur & Mirage aka CTW Mirage (Jan. 1/08) - home Dec. 5, 2010
& June 3, 2012
missing Beagle-Chihuahua, Kasie Lynn (March 15/95-Sept. 13/10)

• 2 months later...

Could you please tell me what you could find for KB's Harper?

KB's Harper ran 18 races all at Tucson. He was a dog that needed to be on top at the turn to have a chance to win. His problem was he didn't have great speed out of the box and he didn't really rush the turn so as you can see needing to be on top and not having great speed to get there isn't a good combination.

He had two wins and two seconds and in three of those races he was on top. In the other race he was second all the way around. He was destined for a couch sooner rather than later and I'm sure he is a better pet than a racer.

Dick

Thank you so much for the information! I knew from what I had found as well that we wasn't very fast; the agency had on his profile that the reason he was retired was "slowed down". What great information to have though. Thank you so much for doing this for all of us!

Alyse with Archer (KB's Harper)

Dick, I recently got a three month old puppy. He's nga and has tattoos, but he won't be registered with his littermates (I don't think). Is there a place I can look for what the procedure is for getting his info on Greyhound Data, and any place else it needs to be?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly