How Your Dog Ran At The Track

dmdsmoxie

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did Starman, born 8/27/12, run?

Thanks!!! :)

Starman ran 98 races all at Wheeling, one of our better tracks. He was a dog that had to be on top at the turn to have any chance to win since he is what we call and early speed quitter. Once he wasn't on top he would usually drift towards the back of the pack. To show you what I mean of his 98 races he had 8 wins, 8 seconds, 6 thirds and 20 fourths.

He could win in grade C, but once he got to B his speed went away and he didn't compete well in B. He would then drop to C and would start getting out again and hit the board and eventually win, go to B and repeat the cycle again.

Running 98 races and being in the money almost half the time is a decent career.

Dick

Guest SimontheGreyt

Thank you Dick!

Any idea why he was retired? Little bud has one hip bone higher than the other and I was curious if he was injured while racing.

Thank you Dick!

Any idea why he was retired? Little bud has one hip bone higher than the other and I was curious if he was injured while racing.

He never missed a start except for one when he was only off for 10 days and might have been just to rest him. So nothing that indicates an injury. At the end of his career he was tried in 330 yard super sprints and he didn't do well. It looks like he might have graded off the track and 6 weeks later they gave him a schooling race, he did poorly and that was it. So whether he was injured or just graded off and rested I don't know, but that is the only time he was off for an extended period of time. If he graded off he would have to be off for 30 days so there may or may not have been an injury involved.

My current hound race name is DK'S Stryker

Thanks Dick!

DK'S Stryker ran 20 races all at Daytona. He had no early speed, no rush to the turn and no late speed. LOL Since there are no other options he is right where he belongs, on your couch. He managed just two fourths in his 20 races.

Dick

Hi, I'd love information on our current boy San Tan Outsider and our bridge girl Gabes Gogo. Thanks!

San Tan Outsider ran 75 races between Tri State and Orange Park with TS being the better of the two, but both pretty good tracks. At TS he showed no speed out of the box or rush to the turn, but he could close some and if he was in a good position at the turn he could win, but the track was pretty tough for him and he was moved to OP. There he broke a little better , but probably didn't run any better at OP as he did at TS.

So he was a C/D dog that was in the money 50 percent of the time.

Gabes Gogo ran 129 races between Naples and Jefferson County. She was a dog that had good early speed and was often to the turn in the top three. She wasn't a great closer, but could, at times, close a little and come from 3rd to win. She also wasn't a dog that gave up much of her position so if she was in the top three to the turn she was probably going to end up in the top three.

She was good B dog.

Dick

Edited by dmdsmoxie

DK'S Stryker ran 20 races all at Daytona. He had no early speed, no rush to the turn and no late speed. LOL Since there are no other options he is right where he belongs, on your couch. He managed just two fourths in his 20 races.

Dick

lol Thanks Dick! She is defininty belongs on her couch!

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

• 1 month later...

Good morning! I just adopted McGraw, a dark brindle boy. He had a less than stellar career at Southlands and Palm Beach. Since he is destined to be a Therapy Dog, could you give me a bit of information about him? I like to have a little history to share with the people we visit. 123A, 62785. Thank you!

McGraw ran 25 races between Southland and Palm Beach. Southland is our toughest track with the best dogs and the sprint course is 583 yards which is longer than the usual 550 yards. The track surface isn't as hard as some tracks which makes it a little harder to run on.

McGraw, at SL, needed to be on top at the turn to win, otherwise he would fade to the back of the pack. If he was 2nd or 3rd to the turn he sometimes would hang on to be in the money. He did win a couple of races, but moving him was probably a good idea.

PB has a harder surface and is our shortest sprint course at 545 yards. McGraw liked PB and he didn't have to be on top at the turn to win. He was now closing from 3rd and 4th to win and other races he was coming from way back to be in the money.

After his last win he was scratched the next race. No way to tell why, sometimes the dog is sick and other times there may be an injury. He schooled back in with a win, then ran four bad races in a row and was retired.

Since he was still young I would guess that an injury is what made them retire him, but there is no way to know that for sure. The scratch may have had nothing to do with an injury and he may have done something in the schooling win that wasn't detected at first.

Dick

Could you tell me about Budz Token? Birthdate is 4/28/12. Thank you!

Budz Token ran 182 races all at Sanford Orlando. While Sanford Orlando is a lower end track Budz Token was a very good dog there and probably could have moved to a middle grade track. She was a dog that needed to be 1st or 2nd to the turn to have a chance to win and she had real good speed out of the box and to the turn. So she put herself in a position to win in many of her races. While she could get caught she didn't give up easily as she was first 32 times and second 31 times. She was in the money a total of 108 times in her 182 starts which is a very good number.

Nice racer and I'm sure a nice pet.

Dick

newly retired LL's Francisco, P's Chinch

LL's Francisco ran 47 races all at Derby Lane, a very good track. He had no early speed and no rush to the turn. None. He was mostly 7th and 8th out of the box and to the turn. He closed a little bit and was in the money 21 of those 47 races which would usually be decent, but he only had one win and three seconds with seven 3rds and ten 4ths. So he was barely hitting the board. It looks like he graded off and was retired.

They did try him in the longer 660 yard races, but had the same results.

P's Chinch ran 118 races between Bluffs Run, our second best track, and Derby Lane. He had decent good speed and needed it to get to the turn first or second which is where he needed to be to have a chance to win.

He usually stayed, within one position up or down, where he was at the turn. So he wasn't a dog that if he didn't have the lead would quit and end up 6th or 7th. He tried hard most races and was in the money a nice 67 of his 118 races. He had sixteen wins, eighteen 2nds, eighteen 3rds and fifteen 4ths.

He had a couple of A wins, but was really a nice B dog .

I picked up a new foster yesterday whom I'm strongly interesting in adopting. Her race name was Jack's Go Red, whelped 2/17/2009, ears are 29C and 49655. I was wondering if there could be an interpretation of how she did at the track, please?

Jack's Go Red ran 98 races all at Tri State an above average track. She was a dog that didn't have a great break, but at times would rush the turn 4th or 5th. When she did that she could close a little and would improve her position from there. Times she broke better than usual she would rush the turn on top or second and those races were the races she got most of her wins and 2nds.

She was in the money 52 of her 98 races which is good. While she did win a couple of A races to go to AA she was more a B dog.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gryhnd3

We have two fosters that we may be adopting. Curious about their racing careers.

1) AMF Virginiaslim, Feb 19 2012, black male, He is pretty tall and runs a bit oddly re: movement of hips/hind legs. We realized he had an issue when he couldn't climb stairs. Saw vet, had course of anti-inflammatory, is better. His last race appears to have been April 13, 2016 and it says "pulled up", does that usually mean an injury?

2) WW's Genesis, Oct 17 2012, red brindle male.

Thank you!

We have two fosters that we may be adopting. Curious about their racing careers.

1) AMF Virginiaslim, Feb 19 2012, black male, He is pretty tall and runs a bit oddly re: movement of hips/hind legs. We realized he had an issue when he couldn't climb stairs. Saw vet, had course of anti-inflammatory, is better. His last race appears to have been April 13, 2016 and it says "pulled up", does that usually mean an injury?

2) WW's Genesis, Oct 17 2012, red brindle male.

Thank you!

AMF Virginiaslim ran 156 races between Wheeling and Southland, both very good tracks. He ran both the sprint and route courses. At Wheeling the sprint course is 550 yards and at SL it is 583 yards. The longer course is 660 yards at both tracks.

He was a dog that had to be in the top three at the turn to have a chance to win and when he made it to the top grade he really needed to be in the top two to the turn. He had good speed out of the box and as long as he hit his break he could be in the top two or three to the turn.

Early in his career he ran mostly grade A or AA, but as he got older he was mostly a B dog. He couldn't always catch the dogs in front of him, but if he was in the top three to the turn he was usually in the top three at the wire.

While pulled up doesn't always mean an injury I would say most times it does. Where he didn't come back and race I would say he sustained some type of injury.

WW's Genesis ran 114 races between Derby Lane, Jacksonville, Palm Beach and Southland. He was a dog that early in his career didn't have much early speed or a rush to the turn. After a while, and with a change if track, he got a little better at breaking and rushing the turn. He was a really good closer so no matter where he was on the track at the turn he had a chance to close and at least be 3rd or 4th.

In races he got to the turn 3rd or 4th he had a real chance to win the race.

He was a dog that was always improving his position as there are very few races where he wasn't better at the finish line than he was at the turn.

Good morning! I just adopted McGraw, a dark brindle boy. He had a less than stellar career at Southlands and Palm Beach. Since he is destined to be a Therapy Dog, could you give me a bit of information about him? I like to have a little history to share with the people we visit. 123A, 62785. Thank you!

I know McGraw

He was in the kennel I worked in for a few months at PB. He's a big boy, right?

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I sent a text to his owner. He said he had an ankle injury.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Hi all - I just love this thread. :)

I have a question about our newest addition, I have some detail about her and know she was retired due to a severe muscle injury in her back left leg - not sure the extent of it, but was wondering if it was in a race or training, etc. and if there was any way to know what it was. I've seen her racing records and it looks like she was pretty darn fast - I cannot imagine she would've been retired if there was any possible way for her to recover - but I know nothing of the industry so I thought I'd ask.

Here is her info:

Racing name: CTW Olayinka

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=CTW+Olayinka&x=12&y=13

Does anyone have access to Greyhound Data to add her retired name of Kira? Should probably get a photo out there, too - she's cute as a button. :)