How Your Dog Ran At The Track

dmdsmoxie

Dick, can you tell me anything about Locokatrina? She’s just retired. Thanks!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dick, my new boy is Eastnor Rebel, now Gino-Gene-Eugene! I know he wasn't as good as Johnnny, but any insight is welcome. Thanks!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

19 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Dick, can you tell me anything about Locokatrina? She’s just retired. Thanks!

Locokatrina ran 71 split between Jax and PB. She started at Jax and had early speed, but would quit in the stretch. her first 15 or 20 races she would make the top at the turn only occasionally. It wasn't that she didn't have the early speed it was getting her timing to break correct. Once she got her timing down she was often on top at the turn and would usually give it up in the stretch.  Jax is a deeper track and more demanding to run on and the decision was made to move her to PB.  PB is 5 yards shorter and a little more harder surface which favors early speed dogs. After a few 545 yd races she was moved to the super spring 301 yd course.  The problem with running super sprints is every dog in the super sprint had early speed, that is why the dogs are in the super sprint. Now instead of having to outrun a couple of early speed dogs to the turn in the 545 yd races you have to outrun 7 dogs to the turn.

You never know till you try them in SS how they will do.

She didn't do much better in the SS than she did in the regular sprint course. She won 3 super sprint races and 2-550's at Jax.

She was a dog that really needed a 500 yard race, but we don't run that distance in the U.S.

12 hours ago, palmettobug said:

Hi Dick, my new boy is Eastnor Rebel, now Gino-Gene-Eugene! I know he wasn't as good as Johnnny, but any insight is welcome. Thanks!

Eastnor Rebel ran 57 races all at Derby Lane except for 6 races he ran at Gulf's short meet.  He was a dog that needed to be in the top three to the turn to have a chance to win.  He could close a little and even if he didn't close he could hold his top three position all the way around.  He seemed to like the Gulf course winning two of his six races he ran there.  The problem is Gulf only runs about a 40 day meet so he came back to DL.

He had 8 wins and was in the money 22 times in his 57 races so he wasn't in the top three to the turn more than he was.

36 minutes ago, dmdsmoxie said:

Locokatrina ran 71 split between Jax and PB. She started at Jax and had early speed, but would quit in the stretch. her first 15 or 20 races she would make the top at the turn only occasionally. It wasn't that she didn't have the early speed it was getting her timing to break correct. Once she got her timing down she was often on top at the turn and would usually give it up in the stretch.  Jax is a deeper track and more demanding to run on and the decision was made to move her to PB.  PB is 5 yards shorter and a little more harder surface which favors early speed dogs. After a few 545 yd races she was moved to the super spring 301 yd course.  The problem with running super sprints is every dog in the super sprint had early speed, that is why the dogs are in the super sprint. Now instead of having to outrun a couple of early speed dogs to the turn in the 545 yd races you have to outrun 7 dogs to the turn.

You never know till you try them in SS how they will do.

She didn't do much better in the SS than she did in the regular sprint course. She won 3 super sprint races and 2-550's at Jax.

She was a dog that really needed a 500 yard race, but we don't run that distance in the U.S.

Thanks so much Dick!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Jan, are you going to ask about Cletus, too?  :lol:  

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Thanks again! He is a very go-go-go guy on our walks, wants to chase all the little yip-yap dogs and feral cats. Very sweet natured, but still a little shy and underdog-ish. He and Johnny get along very well :).

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

:spoot :rofl

• 2 weeks later...

Our newest is DLT Poison Ivy.  She is the absolute laziest dog ever.  She gets off her chair 5 times a day - twice to be fed and 3 times to go pee/poop.  I have a hard time believing she would even come out of the box to race.  But she is the most gorgeous thing, so maybe she made it thru life on her looks.  Could you tell me if she actually was even a mediocre racer? Thanks.

On 5/16/2019 at 2:05 PM, cmc333 said:

Our newest is DLT Poison Ivy.  She is the absolute laziest dog ever.  She gets off her chair 5 times a day - twice to be fed and 3 times to go pee/poop.  I have a hard time believing she would even come out of the box to race.  But she is the most gorgeous thing, so maybe she made it thru life on her looks.  Could you tell me if she actually was even a mediocre racer? Thanks.

This is really funny because DLT Poison Ivy  ran 94 times all at Gulf. She was all about speed.  LOL  She would have to get out of the box and rush the turn on top to have a chance to win and she got to the turn on top more often than not. She had tremendous speed to the turn getting there on top a very impressive 67 out of her 94 races. That speed usually comes at a price as she would tired in the stretch and get caught.  However, she wasn't a dog that totally gave it up in the stretch and had 9 wins and was in the money 60 times in total.

She did make it to A, but was really a B/C dog.

Dick

Edited by dmdsmoxie

20 hours ago, cmc333 said:

1 hour ago, dmdsmoxie said:

This is really funny because DLT Poison Ivy  ran 94 times all at Gulf. She was all about speed.  LOL  She would have to get out of the box and rush the turn on top to have a chance to win and she got to the turn on top more often than not. She had tremendous speed to the turn getting there on top a very impressive 67 out of her 94 races. That speed usually comes at a price as she would tired in the stretch and get caught.  However, she wasn't a dog that totally gave it up in the stretch and had 9 wins and was in the money 60 times in total.

She did make it to A, but was really a B/C dogs.

Dick

I love this! LOL

Congrats on your new girl!

She was running to get back to bed!:D

3 hours ago, palmettobug said:

She was running to get back to bed!:D

LOL

On 5/16/2019 at 2:05 PM, cmc333 said:

I bet if you got a lure pole she would run.

I don't know what she would be willing to  run for.  We have 5 little dogs who run around the yard like crazy and she will just stand and watch them go.  This is after we force her to go outside for a whole 3 minutes before she goes back in and up on her chair.  We've had three other greys who at least would do a zoomy or two once in a while.  We have never ever seen her do a zoomy!  Love her dearly, but she is such a couch potato!  If Webster's had a definition for Retired Greyhound, they would have her picture listed.

2 hours ago, reedhedges said:

Hello, I've always wanted to ask for your description of my dog's racing history and am finally getting around to posting here.  It would be very much appreciated!

GS Jerry Lee 

Thanks so much!

GS Jerry Lee  ran 156 races between Southland, our best track, and Jacksonville. At SL he was a little over his head and after 28 races he was moved to Jax.  He was a dog that had to be towards the front at the turn to have a chance to win or be in the money.  He could close a little so being on top wasn't something he had to be.  His best distance was the longer 660 yard course. He had a record of 156-19-16-16-13 and of those 19 wins 16 of them were on the 660 yard course.  He won a few B races so he ran in A, but never won an A race.  He was a nice B/C dog.

If you've looked at his G-D page you've probably figured out the GS is for Gary and Sharon Willis.

Dick

Thanks!  Is there a page somewhere that explains the jargon in the "Comments" column in the tables on greyhound-data.com or trackinfo?  Curious how he interacted with other dogs on the rack.   (We were recently doing some informal/for fun short lure chasing practice and talking about it with some people.)

1 hour ago, rmitala said:

Oyster Chowder, born in in Australia in March 2011, raced in Macau. Thanks!

Sorry, I don't know if there are charts for the Macau dogs and if there are I wouldn't know where to look. If you have a link I will take a look.

Dick

42 minutes ago, reedhedges said:

Thanks!  Is there a page somewhere that explains the jargon in the "Comments" column in the tables on greyhound-data.com or trackinfo?  Curious how he interacted with other dogs on the rack.   (We were recently doing some informal/for fun short lure chasing practice and talking about it with some people.)

The comments are more about what happened in the race as opposed to how he interacted with the other dogs.  Racers during the race should not be interacting with other dogs.  They should be focused on the lure.  If a racer turns his head or in any way wants to play he will get a comment of interfered or bore in or bore out.  That is bad and the dog will be taken off the track and either schooled or moved to another track.

Some tracks throw you out right away and others give you another chance. Some tracks allow blinkers to try and keep the dogs focus on the lure, however this doesn't always work.

While we call them fighters if they interfere in most cases they are trying to play and not fight.

Dick

Ah thanks. Someone specifically asked about interfering.  With us he has only run solo after a lure, not with other dogs. Was wondering if he might crowd or collide at all. I'm sure theres a page out there with some definitions, mostly just curious.

Edited by reedhedges

Here is an explanation of the terms.

http://www.raceforadoption.com/index.cfm?Content=91

Bumping or colliding is usually because of dogs that want the rail and others that want the outside being in the wrong position at the turn. Sometimes, but not often a dog will be on the wrong lead entering the turn and he will not be able to go around the turn,  You will see the comment 'flew 1st tn."

I learned years ago to ignore what the chartwriter said because sometimes what I saw and what he saw were two different things.  Most gamblers pay no attention to the chartwriter. LOL

2 hours ago, buddibear said:

Kaias Redd Foxx 

Kaias Redd Foxx was all about speed to the turn.. He had to be on top to have a chance to win as he would sometimes give it up in the stretch. But, speed he had and plenty of it.  He ran 131 races all at Derby Lane and his record was 23-22-24-13 for an impressive 82 times in the money out of his 131 starts.  He was 1st to the turn in 51 of those starts and 2nd to the turn another 31 times. He was an A/B dog and who knows what his record might have been if he didn't run at the same time the great All-American Husker Magic.