How Your Dog Ran At The Track

dmdsmoxie

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fly Hilary Duff  ran 81 races between Ebro, Sarasota, Palm Beach, Naples, Flagler and Southland.  That is a lot of tracks but Ebro, Sarasota, Naples and Flagler are seasonal tracks.

Fly Hilary Duff at the lower end tracks, Ebro and Sarasota, could get away with not breaking well and getting to the turn4th or 5th and still be in contention for the win. At the other tracks she had to be 1st or 2nd to the turn to have a chance to win.  She wasn't a big quitter in the stretch so if she was 3rd or 4th or even 5th to the turn she could close a little and be in the money.

She was a C/D dog, but ean at some of the better tracks in the country.

And another question, Dick.  We recently welcomed Arroyo Hailey to our home.  We know she raced in West Virginia, but only five time from what we can tell, all at Tri State). Finished third to 7th.  She turned two today (5/29/19), so she didn't race very long.  She's missing a toe on her RR foot.  We were told it was broken, didn't heal properly, and the end was amputated.  She's fine now.  I can only assume that her short career ended in her last race (3/1/19 at Tri State) from the injury.  Anything you can add would be appreciated.

Edited by DaveS

I can tell you she had a 6th race that shows on TrackInfo that was actually her first race and she finished 6th.  If the removed toe is a middle toe that is probably why she was retired.  If the toe is not a a middle toe dogs race without missing beat and there was probably another reason why she was retired.

She didn't race that well in her six races so maybe the broken toe and the fact she wasn't doing well racing could also have been a factor.

I see today, the 29th, is her birthday so Happy Birthday

If want to see her race here is TrackInfo's website.

http://www.trackinfo.com/dog-search.jsp?breed=g   Type her name in the search box and the first bold number is the box she is in.  The 3rd eace down out of the 5 box is her best race where she finishes 3rd.

Dick

Thanks, Dick.  The missing toe is not the middle toe but rather the one next to it toward the outside.  Also, the adjacent little toe is slightly misshaped.  That could have been the reason for her early retirement.  But based on her gentle personality, I suspect that she didn't have the competitive drive to be successful on the track.  What a couch potato!

1 hour ago, calif_chaz said:

would love to know more about my recent two.  WW Char Fontane  11/13  and Spry Fireball 11/14.  Thank  you  

WW Char Fontane  ran 96 races between Jacksonville and Southland.  She was a dog that needed to be near the leaders at the turn to have a chance to win.  Being in the lead wasn't something she had to be as she could close a little and go from 2nd or 3rd and win the race.  At Jax she was a very good racer and won the Juvenile Stakes race there.  At SL she was a little over her head as SL is the best track in the country and she was more a C/D dog at SL.

She was in the money a nice 50% of the time and had 18 wins.

Spry Fireball ran 64 races between Pensacola and Sanford Orlando. He was a dog that has decent speed out of the box and as long as he was in decent position at the turn, 3rd4th or better, he could close to win.  If he made the turn on top the race was usually over as he was tough to catch.

He was in the money 31 of his 64 starts with 11 wins. 

Dick

18 minutes ago, dmdsmoxie said:

WW Char Fontane  ran 96 races between Jacksonville and Southland.  She was a dog that needed to be near the leaders at the turn to have a chance to win.  Being in the lead wasn't something she had to be as she could close a little and go from 2nd or 3rd and win the race.  At Jax she was a very good racer and won the Juvenile Stakes race there.  At SL she was a little over her head as SL is the best track in the country and she was more a C/D dog at SL.

She was in the money a nice 50% of the time and had 18 wins.

Spry Fireball ran 64 races between Pensacola and Sanford Orlando. He was a dog that has decent speed out of the box and as long as he was in decent position at the turn, 3rd4th or better, he could close to win.  If he made the turn on top the race was usually over as he was tough to catch.

He was in the money 31 of his 64 starts with 11 wins. 

Dick

Thanks so much for the info!  
Always fun to learn more about their racing careers!

Can you tell me anything about my girl, Lola - formerly AMF Won't Forget?  Thank you!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

1 hour ago, LaFlaca said:

Can you tell me anything about my girl, Lola - formerly AMF Won't Forget?  Thank you!

AMF Won't Forget ran 39 races all at Sanford Orlando. She didn't have much box speed or rush to the turn.  She could close just a little at times, but as you can probably tell she wasn't a good racer. if she was 5th to the turn she might be 3rd or 4th, but that was about it.  She really needed to be on top at the turn to have a chance to win, but she didn't have that kind of speed. She had no wins and 4 seconds so the best place for her was on your couch where I'm sure she is a great pet.

The thing with racers like this is they aren't real slow as the difference from 1st to last in most races is less than a second and in some races only a half a second.

2 hours ago, SmolAliens said:

Interested to hear your take on Flying Big Giant. :)

Flying Big Giant ran 92 races between Tri-State, Derby Lane, Naples and his last race was at Sanford Orlando.  He was a dog that had no early speed whatsoever. we call it walking out of the box.  Most races he was 6th, 7th or 8th out of the box and he wasn't a dog with a great rush to the turn getting to the turn 4th, 5th or 6th many times.  What he could do was close and he was a very good closer. He did most of his running from when they headed down the backstretch to the finish line.

He could come from 5th at the turn and win and as long as he cleared the turn without getting in trouble he was in the money many times.  Of his 92 races he was in the money a very nice 54 times and was 1st 14 of those times and 2nd 17 times.  He ran and won in top grade at both TS and Naples.

Dick

Dick, do the big boys have a harder time coming out of the box anyway? What's the standard height for the box?

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

36 minutes ago, palmettobug said:

Dick, do the big boys have a harder time coming out of the box anyway? What's the standard height for the box?

Without anything scientific to back this up, just my eye from watching who knows how many thousands of races I would say no to the bigger dogs having a tougher time breaking. One of the great dogs breaking and rushing the turn on top was the 83 pound Flying Stanley.  In general a greyhound fits its body size. So you can't put 83 pounds on a frame that should be 75.  Well, you can, but the dog won't be a good racer.  LOL  The trouble a Flying Stanley would have and did have was negotiating the sharp turns at Palm Beach. He was better suited for a track with more sweeping turns.

Plus, getting out of the box, providing you have the fast twitch muscle fiber to do so, is about timing the opening of the lid.  Some dogs get the timing very early on, some learn it later and to some it seems like they never get it. Dogs rock in the box so you want to be going forward as the lid opens.

I don't know the exact height for a starting box, but I would guess it is 40 inches or maybe just a little more.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, calif_chaz said:

We enjoyed hearing of the racing careers of the two you checked on for us and I would so like to hear of 3 who have crossed over now.  RJ's Gomer Pyle, Rooster Fancy, and Peppered Bakin.  Thank you so much for this.  

RJ's Gomer Pyle  ran 104 races all at Southland. He was a dog that needed to be 1st or 2nd to the turn to have a chance to win and he had the speed out of the box and rush to the turn to be able to do that. He could get caught in the stretch at times and other times he was able to close and catch the dog in front of him.  It would probably depend on whether a closer was chasing him or whether he was chasing a quitter.  He made it to and won in AA so he was a good racer.

Rooster Fancy ran 89 races between Palm Beach, Flagler and Naples. Like Gomer Pyle she needed to be at or near the front at the turn.  She was a dog that basically held her position all the way around.  She would vary no more than one position up or down from where she was at the turn. She was a C/D dog that was in the money 41 times.

Peppered Bakin ran 47 races all at Gulf. She was a dog that needed to be near the front at the turn,  but her problem was she wasn't consistent with her break and often broke poorly.  The races she broke poorly she finished poorly and the races she broke decent to good she usually finished in the money.

Dick

Hi Dick, 

What's your analysis of our girl, Petunia?  MW Neptunia

We've also been enjoying following one of her pups who has made a pretty good name for himself as well.  Mw's T-Rex

Thanks, Don 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

21 minutes ago, Time4ANap said:

Hi Dick, 

What's your analysis of our girl, Petunia?  MW Neptunia

We've also been enjoying following one of her pups who has made a pretty good name for himself as well.  Mw's T-Rex

Thanks, Don 

Don,

MW Neptunia was a very good racer being in the money 64 times in ninety races all at Gulf.  Most of those races were in A and AA and he did most of that running from the front. She had good speed out of the box and to the turn.  While she could get caught in the stretch there was just as good a chance she would fight hard to the wire and hold her position.

Mw's T-Rex was one of the best dogs in the country last year as he was one of the eight dogs invited to compete in the big championship at Naples in January of this year.  He raced 94 times between Naples and Palm Beach and has been in the money 68 times with 31 wins.  He is all speed out of the box and to the turn and once on top he is tough to catch.

Of those 31 wins 31 have been either A or stakes wins.

1 hour ago, dmdsmoxie said:

Don,

MW Neptunia was a very good racer being in the money 64 times in ninety races all at Gulf.  Most of those races were in A and AA and he did most of that running from the front. She had good speed out of the box and to the turn.  While she could get caught in the stretch there was just as good a chance she would fight hard to the wire and hold her position.

Mw's T-Rex was one of the best dogs in the country last year as he was one of the eight dogs invited to compete in the big championship at Naples in January of this year.  He raced 94 times between Naples and Palm Beach and has been in the money 68 times with 31 wins.  He is all speed out of the box and to the turn and once on top he is tough to catch.

Of those 31 wins 31 have been either A or stakes wins.

Thanks Dick.  She still loves to run and you would have no idea that she is about to turn 11.  She just came off the farm in November and some days isn't quite sure about living in a house and not having puppies and other hounds to boss around. :lol

T-Rex is one of the most gorgeous hounds that I have seen run. We have been following him online.  I would love to have him on our couch when he is finished racing. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Could you tell me about my two, please? Bam's Barney (Barney) and Mega San Onofre (now Goldy - she wouldn't answer to Onofre and that name has bad bad juju here in Southern California). Both ran at Caliente at the track in Tijuana. Gildy is a broodie and a pup from my beloved Bowie's (Bella Run Softly) last litter. Bo passed in December and, unbeknownst to me at the time, Gildy had been in a foster home with our group side October. Thank you!

Edited by seeh2o
Autocorrect mistakes

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

1 hour ago, seeh2o said:

Could you tell me about my two, please? Bam's Barney (Barney) and Mega San Onofre (now Gildy - she wouldn't answer to Onofre and that name has bad bad juju here in Southern California). Both ran at Caliente at the track in Tijuana. Gildy is a broodie and a pup from my beloved Bowie's (Bella Run Softly) last litter. Bo passed in December and, unbeknownst to me at the time, Gildy had been in a foster home with our group side October. Thank you!

Gildy, not Goldy.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

1 hour ago, seeh2o said:

Could you tell me about my two, please? Bam's Barney (Barney) and Mega San Onofre (now Goldy - she wouldn't answer to Onofre and that name has bad bad juju here in Southern California). Both ran at Caliente at the track in Tijuana. Gildy is a broodie and a pup from my beloved Bowie's (Bella Run Softly) last litter. Bo passed in December and, unbeknownst to me at the time, Gildy had been in a foster home with our group side October. Thank you!

Bam's Barney  ran 176 races all at Caliente . He was a dog that as a bettor was hard to figure out because he would go stretches of breaking at or near the back of the field and then he would go stretched breaking on top or near the front. When he broke well he would, as you would expect, finished in the money most times. He was in the money 91 of his 176 races with 22 wins.  Even the wins were all over the place from grade E to A.

Mega San Onofre ran 215 races all at Caliente  She was a good racer with 130 times in the money and a good part of her career was in A and B. As long as she broke decent and got to the turn in good position she had a chance to win and being in the money 130 times she did this more often than not.

Dick

3 minutes ago, dmdsmoxie said:

Bam's Barney  ran 176 races all at Caliente . He was a dog that as a bettor was hard to figure out because he would go stretches of breaking at or near the back of the field and then he would go stretched breaking on top or near the front. When he broke well he would, as you would expect, finished in the money most times. He was in the money 91 of his 176 races with 22 wins.  Even the wins were all over the place from grade E to A.

Mega San Onofre ran 215 races all at Caliente  She was a good racer with 130 times in the money and a good part of her career was in A and B. As long as she broke decent and got to the turn in good position she had a chance to win and being in the money 130 times she did this more often than not.

Dick

Thank you, Dick, I really appreciate it.  Barney is a very happy go lucky boy, but didn't get the memo that greyhounds don't bark.  He is sometimes known as the fun police around here!  Gildy is a firecracker.  Small and mighty, she rules the boys.  She's quite a hunter, too.  In the short time I've had her, she has killed two squirrels.  Barney ran in and grabbed the second one and gobbled it down in about 30 seconds.  He was kind enough to leave a paw behind for Gildy to enjoy.  Life with dogs!

On 6/14/2019 at 6:44 PM, dmdsmoxie said:

RJ's Gomer Pyle  ran 104 races all at Southland. He was a dog that needed to be 1st or 2nd to the turn to have a chance to win and he had the speed out of the box and rush to the turn to be able to do that. He could get caught in the stretch at times and other times he was able to close and catch the dog in front of him.  It would probably depend on whether a closer was chasing him or whether he was chasing a quitter.  He made it to and won in AA so he was a good racer.

Rooster Fancy ran 89 races between Palm Beach, Flagler and Naples. Like Gomer Pyle she needed to be at or near the front at the turn.  She was a dog that basically held her position all the way around.  She would vary no more than one position up or down from where she was at the turn. She was a C/D dog that was in the money 41 times.

Peppered Bakin ran 47 races all at Gulf. She was a dog that needed to be near the front at the turn,  but her problem was she wasn't consistent with her break and often broke poorly.  The races she broke poorly she finished poorly and the races she broke decent to good she usually finished in the money.

Dick

Thank you.  It was fun to hear how they raced.  Funny that the best racer (Gomer Pyle) never bothered to run in retirement at home.  Now he was a bounce and we got him at 9 but he had zero interest in sprinting around the yard.  The others wore a track with their lapping.