How Your Dog Ran At The Track

dmdsmoxie

HRF needed to have more speed out of the box, but most of the time he got out poorly and that set him up for getting in trouble at the turn. He finished in the money three times and in each of those races he got out of the box third, second and third. His other seven races he was 7th or 8th out of the box except for one time when he was 4th.  What you don't want to do is get to the turn with the pack and be on the outside because all it takes is one dog that goes a little wide and you get blocked or pushed around. 

He is a big boy at 85 pounds.

Good luck with your new boy I'm sure he will be a great pet.

Dick

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Can you tell me about my not, Bam's Barney and my girl, Mega San Onofre?

Both ran at Caliente in Mexico.

Onofre (aka Gildy) was a puppy from my beloved broodie, Bowie's last litter. I was so lucky she was available for adoption with our group when Bowie passed.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

13 hours ago, seeh2o said:

Hi! Can you tell me about my not, Bam's Barney and my girl, Mega San Onofre?

Both ran at Caliente in Mexico.

Onofre (aka Gildy) was a puppy from my beloved broodie, Bowie's last litter. I was so lucky she was available for adoption with our group when Bowie passed.

Bam's Barney ran 176 races all at Caliente He was a dog that at the peak of his career he ran a lot of A and B races.  In those races he really needed to be 1st or 2nd to the turn to have a chance to win.  He had the early speed to do that so as long as he hit his break he was usually near the front at the turn. If he broke poorly he finished near the back.  In the lower grades he could be 3rd or 4th to the turn and have a chance to win.

Of his 176 races he was in the money 91 times and that is pretty good and pretty consistent.

Mega San Onofre ran 215 races all at Caliente. She was a little better racer than Barney running in A and B for longer periods of time. She could close a little and if she was 3rd or better to the turn she was a threat to win even in A.  She also never gave in a race and even if she was 7th to the turn she could  end up 3rd or 4th. She couldn't close enough to win, but she tried more often than not.

She was in the money a very good 130 times with 39 wins.

Dick

9 hours ago, TanManMom said:

Hi, I’d love to hear about our new girl SJ’s Princess and our foster boy Dangerous Lion. Thank you!

SJ’s Princess ran 27 races all at Sanford Orlando. She was a dog that needed to be on top at the 1st turn to have any chance to win.  Her problem was she didn't have great early speed. LOL In her 27 races she had one win, two 3rds and three 4ths. They tried putting her in the shorter 330 yard races, but that didn't work out and she is now your pet and I'm positive she is a better pet than a racer.

Dangerous Lion ran 140 races between Sanford Orlando, Mardi Gras and Palm Beach.  He was a dog with not much early speed.  He could rush the turn a little, but nothing that would get him to the top or even 2nd in most races. To run 140 races you have to be able to do something and that something was to close. He did most of his racing from the middle of the backstretch to the finish line. He could come from far back to be 3rd or come from 4th or 5th to be 2nd or win. He was a nice racer with 86 races in the money out of his 140 starts.

While he ran in grade A I would consider him a nice B dog who could win B, but not A.

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad to see that this is still a thing!
Could you please give your insight on my boys?

Big Kenny Moon (this is a big ask due to how long ago he raced)
Mac's Gideon
Mac's Zed

In their retirement they all qualified as Therapy Dogs with St John Ambulance (Canada) and our clients love to hear backstories.
Thank you!

Edited by GoinGrey
spellingz r not us

My Current Signature

2 hours ago, GoinGrey said:

I'm so glad to see that this is still a thing!
Could you please give your insight on my boys?

Big Kenny Moon (this is a big ask due to how long ago he raced)
Mac's Gideon
Mac's Zed

In their retirement they all qualified as Therapy Dogs with St John Ambulance (Canada) and our clients love to hear backstories.
Thank you!

With Big Kenny Moon it is impossible to give any information since he only shows one race, the other race he was scratched, and in that race he was last all the way around.  There is a good chance he ran more than that one race since back then we put in all races by hand and a lot of dogs have incomplete records.

Mac's Gideon shows 7 races all at Tri-State and  he didn't have any early speed and didn't have any late speed.  You can figure out that isn't good. He had one maiden race where he finished second and his other races he was between 5th and 8th.

Mac's Zed ran 70 races all at Tri-State. He had no early speed with most races being 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th out of the box and to the turn.  However, he was a really good closer so he did all his running from the backstretch to the finish line.  While he didn't go from 8th to win he could go from 5th or 6th to win or be 2nd.  Races he was 7th or 8th to the turn he would usually be passing dogs and had a chance to be in the money.

Though he only had 6 wins he was in the money a nice 41 of his 70 races and he was always moving forward.

Nice that they were all therapy dogs.

Dick

Edited by dmdsmoxie

On 8/14/2016 at 10:23 AM, dmdsmoxie said:

HK's Apocalypse ran almost 170 races all at Wheeling one of our top tracks. She was a very good A/B dog that could win A, she did it 6 times, but had trouble competing in AA. She was a dog that needed to be on top at the turn to win, but if she was 2nd or 3rd to the turn while she didn't usually pass the dog or dogs in front of her she would run hard and finish 2nd or 3rd.

Most of the times when she made the front she won. I would guess the few times she got caught it was by a pretty good closer.

If you or her new owners want to see her race go here.

http://www.trackinfo.com/dog-search.jsp?keyword=HK%27s+Apocalypse&x=8&y=7&by=dogname

Only the first 4 pages have replays because TrackInfo didn't archive the replays till a few years ago. What you want to look at is the bold numbers. The first number you see in bold is a 4 and that is the box she is in. Then you see 2, 7, 6 and that is where she is at at different points in the race and not real important to you. However, the next numbers you see are 6 9.5 That means she finished 6th and was 9.5 lengths behind the winner. If you go down to the 3rd race you will see 1 .5. That means she won the race and was 1/2 length ahead of the second place dog.

Good luck with fostering, we'll see if you fail. LOL

Dick

I am glad this thread is still going. Dick, you gave me a ton of awesome information on Apocalypse a few years ago and I greatly appreciate. We did end up foster failing and I joined the board for the greyhound rescue, so I am pretty fell 100% in with greyhounds. Apocalypse was diagnosed with osteo a few days ago and I am taking the day off to hang with her before the day comes Sunday. Going back and reading this laying next to her was great. 

20 minutes ago, ATX33 said:

I am glad this thread is still going. Dick, you gave me a ton of awesome information on Apocalypse a few years ago and I greatly appreciate. We did end up foster failing and I joined the board for the greyhound rescue, so I am pretty fell 100% in with greyhounds. Apocalypse was diagnosed with osteo a few days ago and I am taking the day off to hang with her before the day comes Sunday. Going back and reading this laying next to her was great. 

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 3:16 PM, dmdsmoxie said:

BGR Fuzzy Navel  ran 144 races between Dubuque, Naples and Jax. She ran about 75 percent of her races in sprints and the rest in routes.  While she never won more than a C race she was very consistent being in the money over 50 percent of the time.  While I said she never won a race higher than C that isn't exactly true because near the end of her career there was a stake race at Jax and she won one of the qualifying rounds going box to wire.  I would think she was in the stake races as a filler dog and surprised everyone by winning one of the qualifying races.

In her route races she had a lot of early speed and would have to hold on to win and she did this a few times.  In her sprint races she had some early speed, but would rely on a late kick to win or be second.  Because she has a little early early speed in sprints if she made it around the turn without getting in trouble and was 5th or 6th she had a good chance of being in the money.

My guess is the squirrels need to be smart enough to be near your fence or a tree if they are to live long. LOL

Dick

Greetings from a noobie, both to the forum and to having a Greyhound as a pet. My wife and I adopted Fuzzy Navel's littermate BGR ShirlyTemple last month. (We just call her Shirley)

Have you given a different nickname to Fuzzy Navel? Are there any other owners out of that litter you've encountered here?

Shirley raced 93 races and won 16. Heres a youtube link to her running at Southland

Now that shes adopted into a home, shes still fast....just usually fast asleep in "her" recliner! Im hoping before the end of the year to adopt another so she has a "fast friend!"

ETA: Just realized PalmettoBug is Fuzzy Navel's owner and you were helping her; so I guess my questions about their littermates are redirected toward PB. -_-

Edited by ColtGrey
Clarity

Just saw this! I was going to maybe change her name, but the girls at the vet's office love her name, so Fuzzy she is! Mizz Fuzz, Fuzz-Fuzz, Fuzzy-britches...whatever sounds great. She's a sweet girl, sleeps where she wants, tries to play with the cats and chase squirrels. I have another grey, Gino (Eugene or Gene or G, registered Eastnor Rebel). They are distant cousins, but I'd love to have littermates!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

57 minutes ago, palmettobug said:

Just saw this! I was going to maybe change her name, but the girls at the vet's office love her name, so Fuzzy she is! Mizz Fuzz, Fuzz-Fuzz, Fuzzy-britches...whatever sounds great. She's a sweet girl, sleeps where she wants, tries to play with the cats and chase squirrels. I have another grey, Gino (Eugene or Gene or G, registered Eastnor Rebel). They are distant cousins, but I'd love to have littermates!

Glad to hear shes doing well! Heres her sister at the moment helping me work from home this week:

G2fVJ1w.jpg

28 minutes ago, ColtGrey said:

Glad to hear shes doing well! Heres her sister at the moment helping me work from home this week:

G2fVJ1w.jpg

FYI:  I can post pictures on her G-D page and there are now fields to enter who she was adopted by and also her pet name.  If you want me to do any of these things just post the information here.

Dick

Never would have guessed brindle! Fuzz is red fawn, like my late boy Johnny. I can see the sleeping resemblance :lol:

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

9 hours ago, dmdsmoxie said:

FYI:  I can post pictures on her G-D page and there are now fields to enter who she was adopted by and also her pet name.  If you want me to do any of these things just post the information here.

Dick

XIizpcJ.jpg

UqLg1Rq.jpg

BGR Shirlytemple (Shirley) was adopted through Heartland Greyhound Adoption and now lives in Iowa.

eta: youtube race link: https://youtu.be/2N-SATx11Eg

Thank you! :D

http://www.greyhound-data.com/greyhound-modern/photos-siblings.php?i=2246187"

PB: Looks like out of photos posted from the litter, your Fuzzy is the only non-brindle! I love how our girl looks, but we adopted her because the foster said she was so sweet, not because shes a brindle. I think our next one will be black though since apparently they have a hard time being adopted.

Edited by ColtGrey
add youtube link

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I tried to send a PM but it couldn't go through.  :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Dick hasn't been here in quite a while.  There was a thread where someone asked about him during the pandemic.  Someone made contact with him and he was fine at that time.  https://forum.greytalk.com/topic/326287-dick/?tab=comments#comment-6149575

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life