Unclear Diagnosis, Opinions Welcome.

Guest bredlo

Guest grey_dreams

I don't have experience with this directly, but it is my understanding that gabapentin might be able to help her a lot with the pain at this stage. Strongly urge a follow-up consult with Dr. Couto regarding pain meds and doses. Most greyhounds do not tolerate opiates, it makes them extremely agitated. Hopefully they are not giving her opiates. Sending best wishes for Nell and you.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swelling like that is normal. Has she been on Amicar? Pinky's remaining leg was swollen for a week or so after her amputation. I alternated ice and heat on her leg along with massaging the leg, moving the fluid up toward her body.

I'd be most concerned right now with her pain level. She should have a fentanyl patch and be taking an NSAID like Deramaxx or Rimadyl (I personally prefer Deramaxx) along with tramadol.

Not totally abnormal for her to not be terribly hungry either. I took some canned food for them to offer to Pinky and she ate it about 17 hours after her surgery.

Pinky had to have a platelet infusion post-op as the bleeding, while not terrible, was concerning enough to the doctor, so, I believe that helped her too.

Sometimes they are just better off at home, too. Pinky was agitated and unable to rest at the vet's office. She came home 24 hours after she woke up from surgery. She did so much better at home where her beds and her couch were.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Thinking of you this morning. Hope they got a handle on her pain. What you heard could have been a reaction to 'the meds. As stated above, some greys don't handle tramadol. I sat up all night with one of mine while he paced, panted, and cried. I was so afraid that he was in terrible pain, but he was sooo much better when the drug wore off. Hope this is a better day.

Agree with previous posts, some meds can make pups anxious and they will pant, howl, be restless, etc. I agree the Fentanyl patch is something likely Nell has on but you can check. It's a powerful pain reducer and it can also make some pups anxious. Please do not beat yourselves up over your decision, you made it out of love and all of use who have gone down the route of amputation have questioned ourselves at some point afterwards and usually it's when everything seems not to be going the direction we want it to be. Time is important as that is what is required to heal and the first week is tough whether she is at the hospital or at home. Kristin brings up a good point though, some pups do much better at home where they are in a familiar environment however you must be prepared to help 'nurse' her for a little while, e.g. compresses, helping her get up and outside, etc. Our Charlie was in for Friday-Tuesday and it worked well for us but did cost a lot as each day was about $1000.

Hang in there, things will improve and I agree that your vets should reach out to Dr. Coutu as ours did and received excellent advice.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Not sure if it is applicable in this situation, but after a major surgery (though not an amputation) one of my dogs was given Fentanyl via IV rather than a patch. I was told it is easier to control the dose that way and is better tolerated than the patch. No expertise in this area, just offering the thought.

Agree with others suggesting a follow-up consult with Dr. Couto.

I haven't posted much but have been following this thread and holding all of you in thought and prayer.

Hi all, and sorry for the delay. Sleep has been so on and off the last couple days, I came back from our first visit to see Nell and fell asleep for a couple hours.

We were only able to see her for about 15 minutes, but on the way we were asked to stop for Tums (for calcium) and another medicine that I've forgotten the name of. They're normalizing her blood, as she's down 3-5 percent from normal red blood cells (not concerned but they're on top of it). They're also using a synthetic plasma to restore low levels of protein (basically. They tried to put things in terms we'd understand).

She was comfortable, and had been given a little Acepromazine as well: we know it works phenomenally well even in extremely small doses on her. Then, trying not to sound like an overbearing, uninformed parent I also nicely questioned them on which pain meds they've tried up to this point, to make sure they're actively searching for the right cocktail.

As of our visit, it seemed they'd landed on something good. She was propped up on her elbows for a minute or so when we arrived, and then put her chin down and stayed there. There was no recognition or happiness to see us, particularly, but I'm sure it's the dopey-ness from the Ace. The oozing and dark red skin from her chest down was a bit disconcerting, considering she was perfect everywhere when we brought her in... but at this point all four doctors who've taken turns since Thursday have gone from expressing real concern -- to cautious optimism. Her rear leg, while definitely puffy, wasn't as bad as I expected and they said a compression sock yesterday was doing noticeable good.

Since Day 1 she's been standing - and even hopping outside - mostly on her own, and as of today had very little aid from the sling they use to support her back end. Urination has been instigated by pressing on her abdomen, but given how infrequently she goes anyhow, I'm not too concerned about that. "She ate very well" this morning, they said, which we were thrilled to hear. We brought Bil-Jacs today, to hopefully build on that momentum as they're her favorites. There is some diarrhea, but I'm glad everything going in is coming out.

I have absolutely no clue what this is all going to cost, but my parents have expressed interest in helping out and we'll likely take them up on that. These are the only grandchildren they'll have from Melissa and me... might as well let them make up for the lack of need for college funds, Christmas or birthday gifts as with my niece and two nephews. :blowcandle

Dr. Couto is on a speaking tour throughout Europe for the next 10 days, and clearly stated he wouldn't be available for us. I'm feeling pretty good about the decisions made up to this point, and will continue to monitor the situation solo, I think. Much appreciation for your suggestions to reach out to him, it hadn't occurred to me actually - I certainly will touch base with him again before this process is over, I'm sure.

Thanks again everyone for checking in, helping to ease our nerves and sharing your sage advice. We're hoping that at Day 4 (tomorrow) will be the one when she turns the corner once and for all, vs. her vitals sort of bobbing up and down. I'd like to bring her home in the next day or two, as you're all right: her bed, her stuffed bear, and our love will ultimately be the best medicine for her.

Hugs to you all, and Nell thanks you for your continued love and interest.

IMG_9129.jpg

IMG_9132.jpg

Edited by bredlo

Baby girl :wub: . Hope her recovery continues. Can imagine how worried you are, and how eager to have her back home.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Mini-update...

I just got off the phone here at 10:45 PM, and the night crew said this evening Nell had a bath, ate a couple treats with her Gabapentin, and was "slightly sedated" and "sleeping peacefully".

Feeling grateful.

She is looking good IMHO. When we first saw our Charlie, he was a bit of a mess and did not recognize us as he was drugged-up. Sounds like your beautiful girl is coming along and I hope that soon she will be able to come home as that will help her heal tremendously. Continued good thoughts.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

She is just so beautiful :wub:

It sounds like things are progressing, and I hope she is able to come home with you soon. I'm sure that will do all of you a world of good :)

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest LazyBlaze

:grouphug What an absolute sweetheart she is. Thank you for updating us when you have so much on your mind. I'm so pleased that she is hanging in there and showing good signs of improvement. I think we are all a bit smitten with your gorgeous gracious lady :wub: .

Carronstar, she'll have a bald muzzle when we're done kissing that face.

This morning's phone call revealed that Nell is alert and comfy enough to warrant more moving around (to try and increase blood flow and reduce swelling in her leg). She's been eating "some", her albumin proteins are up (vets are happy) and they're slowly moving from IV to oral meds today, in hopes of preparing for the hour long ride home.

The only little heartbreaking note was that she tried to stand overnight and smashed the top of her head, earning her two staples. :cry1

Praying this is her last night away from home.

You might want to take a few minutes and read the osteo thread for information about what to expect at home. For example, you want to make sure that the floors are covered with skid-proof carpets as she will not quite have her footing yet. Also, stairs will likely be an issue - she won't know how to do it and may be tempted to just jump them all - so be watchful. Some dogs can do high beds and some can't at the beginning - so she might need help there.

I think she'll be much more comfortable and at ease when she gets home.