Lydia Fell Down The Steps

:yay

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad to hear she's on the road to recovery. Your vet sounds wonderful.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Ah, good news! That is excellent. I hope Lydia heals up quickly.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Yeah for no break! Glad she is ok :confetti

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

How is she feeling today? Not too sore I hope.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytexplorer

Good morning! :coffee

How sore is the patient this lovely day? Make sure she at least gets up to eat and go potty (<with assistance, likely) so she doesn't get too stiff.

Do you have a muscle relaxer you could give?

I give Ester Robaxin 500mg occasionally.

She is 13.5 yrs

Best wishes for quick and full recovery! XO for you and Miss Lydia.

~Pat down South

She is doing remarkably well. She's walking fine, and doing the steps with no problem. She's hungry, eating well, and taking her pills. But we have a problem. We have to change the bandage and dressing on the largest wound, every day for a few days. And this is not easy. For any of us. Lydia is a study in contrasts. She is sweet, outgoing, affectionate, charismatic, and just the loveliest dog you could imagine---about 90% of the time. She is also a HUGE drama queen. If you are doing something to her (FOR her), and she doesn't want you to, or it hurts her, she will scream, lunge at you, try to bite you, or try to run away. And changing the bandage involved all four of those reactions. We knew it would be difficult, so we muzzled her first, so at least she didn't manage to bite us, but the GSOD, OMG! If she hadn't had the muzzle on, Doug and I would both be in the ER. I just don't know if we can do this on a regular basis. I felt like I'd been in a war by the time we got the dressing off (stuck to the wound, hard to get loose), got the ointment and dressing re-applied, and the vet wrap around it. I'm not sure what to do. I'm going to call our vet tomorrow to see if we can go a couple days between changes, or if we should suffer through this, or if they could possibly do it at the hospital. Sigh....

Here is what the 2 legs with the staples looked like after the vet appointment.

nancy2014050.jpg

And here is the beautiful girl looking just as sweet as she could possibly be---pre-bandage change. :angel:evil

nancy2014053.jpg

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Oh, the poor darling! I;m so happy it isn't any worse than it is, but feel for all of you with the general recovery and bandage changes in particular! Maybe the vet office changes would be best (I have cats that can't be helped at home, but you can do anything in the world to them at the vet's office, so I can empathize).

Kisses & quick healing for your beautiful Lydia!

Edited by TwiggysMom

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Check with your vet, but usually you can go a couple days as long as it stays dry. If you slather enough ointment/goop on it, it usually won't stick.

I'm glad she didn't nail you guys.

{{{{{{{{{{Lydia}}}}}}}}}} Be a good girl, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You could also run the bandage under water to loosen it before removing in case anything has gotten stuck.

Can you think of anything super high value that you could stuff into a kong for her to lick while you do it, canned cat food maybe? Otherwise, may just be best to try to let the vet do it every couple of days.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Nancy when I saw the name Lydia & falling down the stairs I knew it was your girl. I really was scared to read on but you got great news. What a relief for you. Lots of drama & grief getting the bandage changed is nothing to what it could have been. I do hope she accepts the aid with less drama.

Lydia pretty girl mom is only helping you, rest up & mend riteawayquik

:bighug:bighug:bighug hugs to you Lydia & Miss Nancy

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

Telfa pads and manuka honey. Mickey also fights me for a bandage change, but is fine at the vet. I spread peanut butter on a paper plate while I work on him. He ignores what I'm doing. Good luck!

I sometimes spray vetericyn under the bandage to loosen it before unwrapping.

Years ago, when Buddy 'skinned' his tail, they told us to bring him back in a week to get the bandage changed. I KNEW it would stick, so we started changing it daily instead, slathering with lots of ointment. With the help of my sister (an RN--Buddy's personal nurse :lol) we managed, but that was minus the GSOD/biting. He was a good patient. But that first bandage change--oh my, that was bad, because it WAS stuck fast.

I would think that doing the bandage change every couple of days would mean the bandage would stick MORE. I would try and do it daily, at least based on what we went through with Buddy. And lots and lots of 'goop' is your friend!

Glad to hear she is doing so well otherwise!

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.