Lydia Fell Down The Steps

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with the Telfa, if there's much drainage it can still stick so I continue to slather on some goop :) .

Sometimes it is worth going back to the vet because some dogs behave better for strangers. Not a bad reflection on you. Just a dog thing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm just reading this now Nancy and am so glad she's on the mend. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I talked to our vet this morning, and she prefers that it's changed every day so we can keep the Dermagel (I think) on it. The pads say they are no stick. But like Batmom said, I think the drainage made it stick. Maybe as it heals, it will be easier. Wetting the bandage did help a little, but I don't think ANY food would sufficiently distract her!

I really appreciate all the good thoughts and suggestions. We'll see how it goes tonight---Doug refuses to admit defeat! But if its' so traumatic for everyone, I'd just as soon take her in to the vets.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Nancy, my foster girl has a nasty leg wound that is healing nicely with Manuka honey. When I remove the vetwrap, she wants to lick lick lick the honeyed non-stick pad that is stuck not to the wound but to the area outside of the wound. I let her have at it, just for a moment, and it's enough to loosen the pad that I can remove it without any trouble at all. Maybe that approach would help Lydia :kiss2

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Ah, that's an idea---thanks! We do have Manuka honey that we've used for Polly's sore foot. Doug changed the bandage tonight while I was walking a client's dogs (Greyhounds!). I TOLD him not to do that. She nicked him through the muzzle. Tomorrow, when we re-bandage, I think we should use the honey.

Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon

Just checking in to see how Lydia is feeling? :goodluck

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh, thanks! We're having a rough time. :( Her leg was a little swollen, and she was really favoring it for quite a while this afternoon. It had me really worried. But we changed the dressing---not quite the full blown war, but still a battle. We put less on, just the non stick pad with the Dermagel, and some vet wrap. So she started walking more, and putting that leg down. She actually ran to her crate to eat dinner. Her regular vet is off on Mondays, but I'm going to see if I can get her in on Tuesday, if she's still putting weight on the leg and going up and down the steps. If it's worse, we'll try and get in tomorrow. I'm going to ask about Manuka honey, and maybe some Tramadol if the Carprofen doesn't seem like enough.

We're letting her out by herself so the other dogs don't get in her way. We tried the wide harness, and Doug walking her down the steps---she would have NONE of that!

And this damn weather! We're out cleaning the steps all the time.

If she isn't moving around a lot, she could be getting some fluid buildup there (seroma), and that can cause some pain as well as swelling.

Lots of hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Nancy :grouphug, hope it starts getting better soon. I've had you and Lydia in my thoughts. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to deal with not just going up and down all those steps with an injured dog, but having nasty weather conditions to boot, which also makes it dangerous. You and Doug please be careful and don't get yourselves hurt taking care of her. I also suggest using the Manuka honey. Nadir would like to say something to Lydia.

Lydia mah sweetest :beatheart, Ah lubs it when yoo are a liddle spitfire. It adds that spice to our relayshunship which keeps it exciting, but yoo have to be a good payshent for yoor momma Miss Nancy and yoor daddyman Mr. Doug and let them take care ob yoo.

Nadi®

Edited by 4My2Greys

:grouphug

Thinking of Lydia today.

I'd ask for some tramadol anyway. She's got to be in some pain.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I so appreciate all the good thoughts and suggestions! Yesterday was really stressful. She's doing pretty good today, so we have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. I'll be at work, so Doug will take her. I'm going to have to write things down for him to ask about----because he doesn't pay attention!

Jey, that is a good point about the fluid build up. We are trying to get her moving around a bit more.

Chris, I'm writing down "Tramadol" for Doug. :nod And "Manuka honey".

Mary Pat, I so agree! I literally thank God every day that I have her with me. But if you could see the horror shows she throws. No one who has met and been charmed by her would believe it.

Well, I'll let the lady herself say a few words to her sweetie.

Nadir! How are you feelin, my sweet hart??? I wuz wurried abowt you too. You are bedder now? I shure hope so. Ha, ha, you mus reely LOVE me, cause nobuddy else finks I am a liddle spitfire. They fink I am B-A-D, bad. But I fink eberyone will agree that I am pritty eggcitin! :lol I can KNOT help it! I am tryin knot to be too skeered a those ebil steps. I kinda fink it wuz Pollys fawlt that I went slidin bak down, but I wood nebber bark that to her. She feels bad enuff awreddy. :( I jus tole Mom to keep those odder hounds FAR AWAY frum me when I am doin whot I gotta do. I go rite down, I do my bizness, I go bak up riteawayqwik. Makes cents to me! I know you unnerstand. An I shure preshiate you finkin abowt me. It does fill my hart wiff LOVE! :wub: So keep sendin those telepafic thots to me (an I will send sum bak)---I fink it makes a HOOGE diffrense!

Love an nose kisses,

Lydia

Pee Ess I hab to joyne Mom in fankin eberyone (hooman) fer their good thots, an info, an fings fer Mom to try, an fink abowt. I know it helps her A LOT. I will see my needle doc on Toosday, an I hope she will KNOT hert me too much. I like er, but I may hab to bite er. :evil

Gotta run, well, gotta awmost run, mebbe more like walk,

Lydia

Edited by queenwinniesmom

:wub:

I like er, but I may hab to bite er. :evil

That's our Lydia. Succinct and to the point. Best wishes for you tomorrow at the Needle Doctor's, sweetie.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

We had a good visit, and Lydia did KNOT have to bite our nice vet. I put her muzzle on just in case, but we didn't need it, and that's a GOOD sign! The biggest wound didn't look too bad. Well, it looks bad, but a "better" bad. :yay She'd actually gotten the bandage off, vet wrap and all, this afternoon. So I just left it till her appointment. I got to go too because I had a "so cold the vet's kids school was closed, and she couldn't get a babysitter, so all surgeries were cancelled" day off work (I do the discharge instructions for our low cost spay and neuter program surgeries).

In the "what else could possibly happen to her" department, she banged up her only uninjured leg when Doug tried walking her down the steps on Sunday, and she wanted to charge on down, so now she has TWO bright yellow bandages. :( She looks like she came in off the battlefield. But our vet was pleased with her progress. We'll change the bandages in 2 days, and use the Manuka honey when we re-bandage. We got some Tramadol. And she'll get the staples out next week.

She's feeling pretty perky. And we all appreciate the good thoughts.

I checked out Pawflex website. I'm impressed. I think we're going to order some. And the ones that go over the paw look good too.

That's great news! I am looking forward to more positive updates :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Yeah! Great news! :balloonparty

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala