Swiftie, August 9, 2004 - December 28, 2013

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

Our wonderful little Swift left this world unexpectedly Saturday afternoon. She was barely 9 years old, and we thought in great health... we had dreams of her being our first grey to live to an old age...

We were in Chicago 12/23-12/28 and about 15 minutes before we had to leave for the airport to come home, we got the call from the kennel that Swiftie had been rushed to the e-vet because she had collapsed and was unresponsive; they told us her body was cold and gums white. We learned over the phone that the ultrasound revealed a hemangiosarcoma (sp?) on her spleen and it ruptured and she bled out internally. The vet told us she was in shock and even drastic measures weren't looking promising, so the very compassionate vet helped us make the terrible decision to let her go. Over the phone, 2000 miles away. They put the phone up to her so we could talk to her as they put her to sleep. I can only hope that she heard our voices telling her we love her. The vet said she was conscious, but very tired from the blood loss.

We got in around midnight and went straight to the e-vet where they let us be with her still body for a little while. We are so bereft that we couldn't be with her in her last moments, much less her final few days.

Before coming into our lives, she had a prolific racing career (316+ races), and could still fool you into thinking she was half her age with her speed and spunk. She always wanted to be wherever we were (lay down at our feet while doing dishes, going to the bathroom, sanding or cutting wood), which made it even harder to not be with her when she passed. Even though she only was with us for 3 years and a few months, she'll always be our Little Swift.

We picked up her best buddy, Greta, from the kennel yesterday morning and we sensed immediately that Greta "knew." We're loving her as much as posisble and hoping that our tears aren't distressing her too much. She and Swiftie were adopted on the same day, and have never spent a night apart for more than 3 years. Swift was the pack leader, so we're concerned about how Greta will cope as an only dog.... but she is eating and cuddling, so I think she'll be okay.

This was such a sudden loss, I'm in total disbelief. She was so special and loved. Godspeed, Swiftie. Thank you for the years you gave us. We love you.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry for the sudden loss of your sweet Swiftie. It's obvious from your post how very much she was loved. :grouphug

I lost my Chloe suddenly like this to hemangiosarcoma. It was a horrible shock.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Your story has me in tears. I am so sorry that you couldn't be there during Swiftie's last moments, but how wonderful that she could hear your voice as she left this world. I am so sorry for your devastating loss. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

So very sorry for the sudden loss of your Swiftie.

Remember the good times......

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I am so very sorry for your loss. Hemangiosarcoma took one of my girls at the age of 10.5 with no warning. It is heart breaking and I can't even imagine being so far away when it happened.

Godspeed beautiful girl.

Sending prayers to help heal your hearts.

My heart goes out to you. You have to trust that your voices were the last she heard as Swiftie made her journey to the Bridge. She absolutely knew how much you loved her. Please give Greta some special scritches from me, and hugs for yourselves. :grouphug

Godspeed precious girl.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest carriej

I lost a grey to anemia/bleeding out.. Happened so quickly, over the course of 3 days or so. I thought he was just being abnormally lazy (it was hot period in August) and then I noticed how quickly his heart was beating... Within 24 hours we had him at the Vets and they told us there was nothing that could be done.

I cried just last night thinking of him and how much I miss him <3

It hurts so much to lose them, but I hope that you will have some peace and comfort in memories.

I am so sad and sorry for your loss. We loss our John E and little American Idol the same way. So fast and unexpected.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

What a horrible shock for you. I'm so sorry for your untimely loss.

Godspeed, precious girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What an awful shock. I can't even imagine the added trauma of being so far away. I'm so very sorry.

Godspeed Swiftie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:bighug So sorry. Swiftie will always be just a memory away

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Guest OPointyDog

How awful - my heart goes out to you in this sudden and terrible loss.

We lost one of our beloved cats while we were abroad a couple years ago, and it is a horrible decision to have to make while you are gone and unable to be present. I'm sorry you had to go through that. But I think the 3 years of loving care you gave her speak volumes for how much you loved each other.

:grouphug

Guest lynne893

Thank you all so very much for your words of comfort and condolences. I feel so lonely and tortured in this grief. But I know that YOU all understand, unfortunately. Thank god for this community forum.

My heart just breaks for you. I am so very sorry for your sudden loss and the sad circumstances. Rest well, Swiftie, secure in the knowledge that you were very much loved.

Sending good, healing thoughts to you and Greta.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart