Something Wrong With Tiny Tessa, Update Post 17

Tessa (11+), is our italian greyhound. She's normally a spunky little girl with few medical issues.

Yesterday she refused to eat, we had to bring the water bowl to her, and carry her outside to potty.

After peeing she walked back in under her own power. Normally she runs and leaps onto my high bed. Now she barely has the strength to get up there.

She has no tender areas to the touch. She has full range of motion.

Her body feels like a normal temperature but the top of her head is hot.

The digital ear thermometer for dogs didn't work on her. I held the regular digital thermometer at her armpit and got 101.8

She refused food yesterday. She ate about a teaspoon of her food today. She has refused her favorite treats. Her not eating rarely happens but then she would bounce back the next day.

Water intake seems to have increased. Urine output seems to match the intake. Color is OK.

She wants to stay on my bed. Normally she would be in whatever room we're in.

Her gums look pale.

It's difficult to gauge her heartbeat but it seems to vary in intensity irregularly.

I am debating about taking her to the e-vet. She hates car rides and will have extreme stress. Tomorrow it won't be until the afternoon before I can get her to our regular vet since I work in the morning.

She's just a little lump. I don't know if she's fading away.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Giselle

If she is so depressed (not emotionally, but physically), she may not notice the car ride if you wrap her in a blanket or tuck her into a soft crate. I would err on the side of safety and say "Vets, now". Hugs to you.

I would be concerned about the pale gums also. Sending good healthy thoughts for little Tessa.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh, Ducky.............I am so sorry that Tessa is not feeling well. My gut reaction is to err on the side of caution because of the pale gums. Sending hugs and prayers that Tessa feels better soon.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Back from the e-vet.

I brought a urine sample in that was very dark.

Lab work indicates bladder infection and probable sludgy gallbladder.

Given subQ fluids, Baytril injection, steroid injection. Given doxy and pred to start tomorrow. Also an Rx for a compounding pharmacy for the gallbladder.

Suggested we repeat labwork in a week.

Hubby will be home the rest of the week while I'm at work so he can keep an eye on her.

I think the subQ fluids have helped her perk up a bit.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Poor little bug.

You did the right thing. I always worry about infection when a dog is feeling low, and you don't want to wait to treat that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ducky, so glad your little won is feeling better. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Looks a little perkier but doesn't want to eat.

tiny hada siggy.png