Spencer (Dutch Laser) 11/25/00 - 3/29/13

greyhead

A powerful intuition took hold of me when I first saw Spencer’s photo as an adoptable greyhound. Though his head-on photo was kind of intimidating – as you’ll see in the first slide, his face looked almost sinister – I knew he was the one.

Every greyhound is very special. But Spencer was jaw-droppingly so to us. He showed nobility in all things and had an unmistakable presence that people and dogs respected. Ridiculously intelligent, he’d analyze situations and respond before we could even show him. But he was also obedient, dropping a squirrel and a ‘possum when asked – well, okay, the second or third time I asked. If he occasionally thought I was steering him wrong, he’d just hesitate and look at me, giving me time to see the situation as he did, and he was usually right. But if I still wanted it done my way, he’d consent.

His mentoring of a new and anxious Shane was faultless, because Spencer was secure enough to be generous and never stood on his alpha-ness. But he’d blow by any playgroup bully with barely a glance. Impeccable with even the smallest children and pets, he was an immediate favorite with neighbors. Though he never got to a really big greyhound gathering, he did get to the ocean with some greyhound friends. Didn’t care for the actual water, but loved the beach! He could walk forever. He was tough, battling and besting a host of medical problems. Skip and I want to thank all the GT people who kindly advised us on Spencer’s behalf. He especially wouldn’t have gotten through IBD without you, so thank you for the extra four years you gave him.

I can still see him float across the yard with his high-stepping gait, impossibly tall and graceful, until he and Shane would give each other that look and body language that dared a race for the door – as recently as last week. I can sometimes feel him here and, when I do, peace descends and relieves the otherwise unending ache in my chest. But we’ll feel this loss keenly and forever.

Slide show:

We'd be honored if you watched.

(ETA: Oh yeah, do turn up your volume! I didn't think to mention it.)

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry.

Godspeed Spencer.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I was so sorry to hear of Spencer's death. He has always reminded me a lot of my Sam--they're the same color, they have a lot of the same health issues, and they're both 2000-model dogs--and I really wanted both boys to live forever.

Godspeed, Spencer.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

That was a lovely slide show for a well loved guy. I'm so very sorry.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

So handsome, and so deeply loved.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Run with the angels, Spencer.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Mary, I am so sorry.

I always felt like I "knew" Spencer from the first picture I saw of him. And watching the slideshow it became clear why - he had those amazing Dutch Bahama eyes - eyes that see clear through to your soul and touch you on a level only another greyhound owner would understand.

Run free Spencer, you were so well loved and will be missed so much.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest PiagetsMom

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy. Spencer loved you as much as you loved him.....and he was well loved :grouphug

How you loved him! And it's easy to see why.

I'm so sorry you lost your magnificent Spencer.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

A beautiful tribute. :f_white

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh Mary and Skip, I am so deeply sorry for your heartbreaking loss of your wonderful Spencer. :brokenheart

My heart skipped beats seeing Spencer's name here. What a thoughtful memorial. :weep

I viewed your slide show, read the music credit - realizing I needed to view again with volume turned on. :weep

Thank you for sharing your photo montage. Your close-up photos of Spencer's face, ear, and paws were particularly touching.

Godspeed Spencer. May he rest in peace with angels over the bridge.

:f_red:gh_lay

Well, shoot, thanks to 3greyjoys for pointing out that people wouldn't assume there was volume! I'm not hitting on all cylinders.

Thanks for your kind words. It means the world that you see what we saw in him and know who it is that we're missing.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

What an absolutely beautiful and articulate tribute to your friend. I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest 4rooers

Handsome Spencer, you are greytly loved.

A beautiful tribute for your sweet boy. I'm very sorry for your loss, but glad that you had each other.

Kim