Dew Claws Gone, Is This Normal?

Guest fluteplayer67

Guest fluteplayer67

I was noticing on my two year old new grey that he had scars on his front paws. Someone thought it looked like a thorn was in there but I realized both his dew claws are gone and they are scars left from the surgery. Is this normal to have them removed? I am wondering if it is done as a newborn or maybe he could have ripped one or I don't know what else. Just seemed strange to me that they are gone.

blue had his removed at birth i guess, millie still has hers. she broke one once, blood all over. went to vet, he pulled off the remains and got a pool of blood on his floor. (millie wasn't bothered.) he dressed it and all was OK. claw grew back same size as before. so far no repeats of the breakage.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Of the four greyhounds we've had, we have only had one dewclaw. The vet said it looked like they tried to remove it (obviously, since the other one was gone) but 'botched it'. It was misshapen, and would frequently get caught on stuff and we'd have to clip it off.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I've seen lots of them missing-it's done when the pup is very young.

That said, ALL of my greyhounds (5 so far in my life) have dew claws.

In my experience at the kennel, it seemed the dogs born down south as opposed to out in Kansas or Oklahoma seem to have them removed more often. Not sure if there's any truth to that or if that just happens to have been my observation.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Totally normal. Some breeders do it, some don't.

:nod :nod

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

My JJ doesn't have them...

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest twoskinnydogs

I have found that the 2 hounds I had from MA both had theirs removed, the hounds I have now were born in NC and WI, both have their dew claws. I know some owners do it to reduce the risk of injury.

I hate trying to dremel them. So hard to do that one top leg while they are laying down!

Yes!

Lila’s really sick out from her legs, it was one of the first things I noticed about her. They seem to be an accident waiting to happen and for that reason I wish they were gone. But on the other hand, she uses them to hold toys and chewies and to scratch her ears. They are the closest thing she has to thumbs, I would hate to deprive her of that.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Guest bernadette

Vinnie has his- minus one. One day he was upstairs and I said 'do you want to go for a ride" (he knows that this means).. he FLEW down the stairs, did a big skid onto the tile in front of the door, went vertical like he was standing, fell backwards onto his back, did lots of squirming and thrashing and then righted himself, panting and teeth chattering, waiting to go to the car. Damage assessment: a couple of small gashes on his back side and one dew claw ripped off.