Dew Claws Gone, Is This Normal?

Guest fluteplayer67

a friend of mine recommends we have our guy's dew claws removed if we every HAVE TO have him under anesthesia. His GH got his caught in the seat belt in his backseat once, whilst he was driving...oh the horror of wondering why his smiling Greyhound was covered in blood as was his back seat. In my opinion, they are the hardest nails to dremel!

I wish any of my 6 did not have dew claws they are a pain to dremel and they can be dangerous.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I'd rather not have them on my guys, but I won't have them removed from a dog while its under anesthesia unless there's some demonstrated reason to do so (such as a history of hooking them on things). If I'm anesthetizing a dog for a dental, I see no reason he should have to put up with pain in his feet while he recovers from the dental. I know a woman who had the dew claws removed when her dog (not a greyhound) was spayed; the dog had a long-lasting infection in one foot afterward.

(One of my four greyhounds arrived without dew claws.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)