Osteo Hounds -- Is Gable Dodge, Wigwam Wag Or Hb's Commander In

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We lost our Tilly (Tangerine Roll) @ 8.5 years old earlier this year to an extremely aggressive osteosarcoma. Her sire was Dodgem by Design, her grand-sire was Gable Dodge and her great grand-sire was Wigwam Wag.

We've lost two other greyhounds to cancer (not osteo) and neither had any of these 3 in their lines.

Our current boy's great grand-sire is HB's Commander. Crossing my fingers he makes it to a ripe old age! :)

Edited by Sundrop

Guest k9soul

I update Greyhound Only's adoptable section on greyhound-data.com, and whenever I do I browse the pedigrees because I'm always curious about it. It's almost unusual to see a grey without any of these mentioned dogs in their pedigrees (especially Gable Dodge line). They just have so many offspring that I think it's impossible to come to any anecdotal conclusions, it would have to be an in depth research study.

I update Greyhound Only's adoptable section on greyhound-data.com, and whenever I do I browse the pedigrees because I'm always curious about it. It's almost unusual to see a grey without any of these mentioned dogs in their pedigrees (especially Gable Dodge line). They just have so many offspring that I think it's impossible to come to any anecdotal conclusions, it would have to be an in depth research study.

This

Osteo goes back farther than these dogs mentioned.

My first 3 greys have all passed from Osteosarcoma.

Mimosa Grove is a descendant of HB's Commander

Mi Ami is a descendant of HB's Commander

Deco Barnett is a descendant of HB's Commander on both dam and sire sides, and also Wigwam Wag.

My current dogs are healthy.

We just adopted Centeno in February. She is a descendant of Wigwam Wag on both sides, and also HB's Commander

Mac's Cher is a descendant of HB's Commander.

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

My Surprise does not have any HB Commander or Wigwam Wag in his lineage.Group Rooster and Hanks Cool Cat is where he comes from. He is seven years old. However he did develop Hemangiopericytoma. He is doing very good on his treatment. The stage 1 growth was removed from his leg and he is on medication to stop it from coming back. (my previous post on page 5)

Update on Surprise: New hard 7 millimeter lump came up yesterday on his leg, getting it evaluated between tomorrow and the 26th of April.

My new regular vet said that the European lines in the greyhounds have a lot less cancer than what is in the USA. Any one know more about that?

Edited by SanTanSnuggles

My dog Q, aka Ale Quiet Man, died of hemangio-sarcoma a few months ago. He had just turned six. Too young. One of his litter mates also died of some type of cancer at a young age. He had HB Commander in his lineage but there are so, so many dogs with that name popping up. Such a sad thing. I hope you find your answers.

• 2 years later...

Bowie has osteo, has Wigwam Wag and HB's Commander on her dame's side as well as Molotov.

Carl and Doodles didn't have any of them. Doo passed from old age, Carl from what we believe was - not cancer. Thogh they were both Dominator pups abd I've yet to learn what caused him to die at 10 years old.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

My 11-1/2 year old boy, Go Dodgem, is out of Gable Dodge and Okie Leona. WigWam Wag was his grandfather. So far his only problem is disc issues in his neck and some hind weakness, but nothing else besides getting older.

My 11-1/2 year old boy, Go Dodgem, is out of Gable Dodge and Okie Leona. WigWam Wag was his grandfather. So far his only problem is disc issues in his neck and some hind weakness, but nothing else besides getting older.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

My Sherri will be 13 in December and is a Gable Dodge granddaughter. She also has HB's Commander on sire's and dam's sides. Her father was Stan's Boy Flyer who passed at age 7. I don't know the reason for his passing. Sherri is healthy except for some back leg weakness. As in humans, perhaps just luck of the draw?

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I think it's a crap shoot. I lost all three of my greyhounds to osteo. The gene is everywhere and as long as dogs with osteo in their background continue to be bred, osteo will continue to flourish.

Agree. I came to this harsh realization after our first galgo, Beatrix, had osteo in her pelvis. We got into galgos hoping to avoid osteo... and lost.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

• 2 weeks later...

My sweet grey Gauge broke his left shoulder in Oct 17, it was Osteosarcoma. The limb was removed by Auburn University. Since we live in Colorado in the winter we went to Colorado State University in Fort Collins. They told me of an experimental Listeria Vaccine for dogs with the disease. We went through 3 rounds of chemo only to find that he didn't qualify for the study since his surgery was performed at Auburn. I found the name of the company that produces the product and got into a field trial in Denver at VRCC. Dr Elmsly convinced me to do 6 total rounds of chemo before we tried the drug. We completed the chemo at Auburn in May 18 and got his first dose of the Listeria Vector in June. 5 days later he was having pain from the treatment. I called my brother who is a GI doc and he said his joints were inflamed because of the antibodies of the vaccine . He suggest 100 MG of NSADS and three hours later my boy was feeling better. We have since given him 50 mg a day between treatments with great success. After each treatment i have increased the dosage to 100 mg a day for 5 days following treatment. He has received his final dosage of Listeria and is doing really well. I recommend contacting Aratana, the drug manufacture, if you are interested in this course of treatment. They can contact let you know where to get the drug.

Edited by cbuck

• 2 weeks later...

How ironic is this? I just posted in this thread on August 2 that Sherri was healthy except for some back leg weakness. The ugly osteo reared its head earlier this week. It started with a limp. I made a vet appointment for her for yesterday afternoon. I got home from work around 1:30 and found her lying on the hardwood floor. She couldn't get up. I put a small area rug under her paws to give her traction and was able to get her to her bed, noticing though that she wouldn't put weight on her front right leg. My heart sank. DH came home and we got her in the car and made our appointment. X-rays showed severe bone loss in her humerus along with a hairline fracture. We made the difficult and heartbreaking decision to let her go. We are devastated. Gable Dodge was her paternal grandfather. HB's Commander was on paternal and maternal side.

Edited by maryz

Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

Mary, I am so sorry. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Is there anyone here who could update Sherri's greyhound data page with the date of her passing - 8/29/18? I would greatly appreciate it. Her registered name was SO DELICIOUS.

Thank you.

Is there anyone here who could update Sherri's greyhound data page with the date of her passing - 8/29/18? I would greatly appreciate it. Her registered name was SO DELICIOUS.

Thank you.

I added it. :grouphug

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I added it. :grouphug

Thank you so much!