Aggadore Spartacus

GreyTzu

I said good-bye to a cat that has been in my adult life the longest. It was the most heart-wrenching decision concerning a pet that I have ever made.

Aggadore is the only pussy, cat that I ever bought. He was a Siamese Manx with gorgeous blue eyes. In 1996, a casual co-worker friend at the nuke plant had the litter and I told her I wanted one. She was a very careless person concerning her animals, despite being an AKC licensed judge, and said she was selling them for $50.00. No problem as I had wanted a Manx for a long time.

Manx cats and polydactyl cats were a passion of my close friend Laura when she was living. She and I always wanted a Manx, polydactyl cat, all rolled into one. While she did some limited selective breeding with her barn cats, we never achieved the goal. FYI, her husband was a Vet and any kittens were "fixed" and placed in appropriate homes!!!

After Laura's death, I had a few cats, but never really found a good companion housecat. Aggadore seemed to fit the bill. I never had any intentions to breed him and he was neutered as soon as age appropriate. And yes, the person I bought him from asked me several times if she could breed to him again. Idiot!!

Anyone know where is name comes from? Yes, Agador Spartacus was the name of the Guatemalan houseboy played by Hank Azaria in The Birdcage. Awesome movie and popular about the time I got Aggadore. I changed the spelling because, you know, I am that kind of gal! ;) In hindsight, perhaps naming him after a cross-dressing gay guy was not the best idea I ever had. Or perhaps it was foretelling. :dunno

804CatRoach.jpg

While his name was Aggadore, when he was a kitten I frequently called him Aggador-able Sparta-kissable. Of course there were other names for him, but most of those are unprintable. :lol And somehow he got tagged with the name Precious Petunia, which was always met with his steely ice blue-eyed sneering glare. He hated it when I called him that!!

fa4090c6.jpg

I was single and had recently lost Singer my beloved GSD. The only dog in my home was JD a 'Tzu. Aggadore came home at 8 weeks old and quickly settled in as the lord of the house. He was fun and a bit weird, so a perfect fit into my home. About a year later, Kevin and I became an official couple living in sin and Aggadore soon clawed his way into Kevin's heart.

In 1998, at age 2, Aggadore had a serious UTI and several Vet visits. The end result was PU surgery. Yup, poor Aggadore had his special "male" part amputated. The surgery and recovery were a success and he had no lasting affects from it. Well, he did develop a predilection for wearing my red high heels and painting his claws purple. But, you know, I always thought it a cute and there was no way it could be related to his name. :blink::lol :lol ;)

804IM000001.jpg

In 1999, Kevin and I adopted our first greyhound Dancer. She arrived home on a Sunday and I think Aggadore stayed on top of the refrigerator until Wednesday. :rofl :rofl He quickly accepted Dancer and later the rest of our greyhounds, with loving affection. He most frequently shared beds with them on the floor.

c1d400f0.jpg

A year later when Xena, Warrior Pussycat joined our home, his nose was out of joint for a day or so. However, she quickly paw-whipped Aggadore into line and they became good housemates.

IMG_5483.jpg

Over the years, Aggadore welcomed 8 greyhounds, 1 'Tsu and 4 cats into our home. He entertained our guests when we got married, and endured our trips to Key West and the pet sitter. He survived several hurricanes, a move when we had to relocate for hurricane re-no, and endured a harrowing adventure outside when he escaped from Kevin one night. Aggadore was never an outside cat and as a result, he hated the grass. I think he spent the night walking across the street to the neighbors' house and back to our garage on the pavement.

IMG_5716-1.jpg

He was a very compact cat with typical Manx "rabbit-like" hind legs. He had no tail at all and he had the Siamese blue eyes and voice, but without the vocal-ness of most Siamese. At one time he weighted in at 16 pounds. Aggadore loved to sit on the headboard of the waterbed. And to leap into the middle of it just when you were getting comfortable or were about the fall asleep. Yeah, lots of good times there! :blink::lol

73508922.jpg

Changing the sheets was fun too because there was always a large cat-shaped lump under the sheets. He would jump onto the middle of the bed and he fully expected to be made into the bed. He did not care if it was between the sheet and mattress pad or between the sheets or the under the blanket, he loved it. And he would sleep tucked in the bed for hours. Weirdo! However, he never liked to sleep under the covers with us.

IMG_5654.jpg

Several years ago, he developed a bowel blockage. After a Sunday ER Vet visit and a manual evacuation, he needed a course of antibiotics and a fiber addition to his diet. He recovered pretty well from the invasion, but his bathroom habits started to slide downhill and he began to develop UTI's as his age progressed. Needless to say, UTI's do not bode well for a PU cat. :(

a20c4f57.jpg

In recent months, the antibiotics seemed to have stop working and he was becoming incontinent. His weight was dropping and he was not happy most of the time. It is heartbreaking to see a cat who was so robust and full of life, slip down that path. Dignity is so much a part of a cats' make-up.

517e24ed.jpg

The past few weeks were spent cleaning up more puddles and washing beds as the incontinence increased. I knew Aggadore was not happy with a wet butt nor with sleeping in the wet spot. Monday I made the decision to send him to the bridge. While he was reasonably bright-eyed and bushy-butted, I wanted to preserve his pride and dignity. Our Vet gave him an exam Monday and seemed to think he felt a mass. He agreed with my decision. The whole "day to early/day to late" subject has been argued many times. But to me, it is all about quality not quantity.

IMG_5674.jpg

Aggadore, I love you forever and I know you understand and accept my decision. I know you have joined Dancer, Dylan, Dixie, Donner, JD, Xena and Mallory at the bridge. Someday, when we reunite, I hope to gaze into your accepting and loving blue eyes again.

IMG_5541.jpg

IMG_5308.jpg

e8e3c666.jpg

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an amazing and wonderful cat! I'm sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, handsome.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry for uour loss...what a wonderful life he had with you.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest wmlcml6

I'm so sorry for your loss of this special cat, Wendy and Kevin. What a great tribute to him and his huge impact in your life. I loved all the pictures! Rest in peace, never to have another UTI again, handsome. {{{{{HUGS}}}}

He sounds like a wonderful cat and I'm sorry you had to say goodbye to him. :grouphug

Rest in peace, Aggadore :brokenheart

f_yellow

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

What an awesome friend to have shared your life. Beautiful tribute to your boy, Wendy. :grouphug

Godspeed Aggadore Spartacus, special kitteh of many names :bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

What a wonderful and fitting tribute for your wonderful boy. May he find all the red heels and purple polish that he desires! That's a great name, btw. I love that movie. Just watched it again a couple weeks ago! Stay away from those pirn tablets!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Wendy & Kevin - hugs from me... it's so so hard to lose a special kitty. He's beautiful...

(PS - both mine 'help' me make the bed...)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I'm so sorry Wendy. Aggadore was beautiful.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

:grouphug Wendy & Kevin. Aggadore was a special, wonderful kitty. I loved the pictures and the story.

Manx cats definitely have a different personality. I have one now and have had several in the past. MIssing my Hopper & Booger.:(

Edited by DragonLady

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

What a beautiful boy! And I love his name, great choice. I am so sorry for your loss. Your bed making story made me smile with sweet memories of my special kitty. He used to do that too. RIP Aggadore.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 Thank you for telling us about a kitty who was special even when he wasn't roaching or sporting purple nails and red high heels.

Godspeed Aggadore.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest budsmom

I think it must be a cat's special job in life to help make the bed. Every one I've had has had to be in the middle of it. I'm so sorry you had to let your special boy go. I know what a hole they leave in your life and your heart.