Unsuspected Collar Danger...

Josie

Many times I red about Gters taking off their greyhound collar in the house... the fear that the grey may get caught somewhere in the house...

On the other hand I have the fear that if the grey gets out he has no collar... so Tuffy always had his collar and I now I do the same for Otis.

But yesterday an incident made me rethink..

In the midle of the after-noon, I was cooking in the kitchen and I eard Otis SOD in the living room... He was really in a panic... DH got there first to find Otis on his bed, a toe of his back paw caught into the D-ring of his collar :blink::blink::blink:

He was scratching his neck and got his toe in the ring!!!

:eek:eek:eek

DH got it out.. it was not really caught tight.. but the situation was scary for poor Otis!

So I think now I will take Otis collar off when we leave him alone...

But what to do to help my fear of no identification?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

I use a breakaway collar for ID, www.breakawaycollar.com .

I share your horror. One day I watched my little angel Zema scratch her neck and put her entire foot through the D ring!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Check out these tag collars at http://www.carpecanem.com/store/index.php/cat_6. They are attractive, comfie for the hound, and break away if the pup gets caught up in it.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

thanks!

I have to shop for one of those!

now I have to enter in my routine to take out the martingale when we arrive from a walk! this morning had to call MIL from the office so she can stop on her way to work to take Otis collar off... forgot about this this morning.. I was on the subway and realise I did not take it off.. was starting to stress... ;)

Edited by Josie

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Guest KennelMom

If you're going to use a collar, break away collars are the safest, IMO.

You can also microchip your dogs as a backup.

Glad you were there to rescue Otis! A panicked dog can really hurt themselves or cause another dog to react violently towards them.

Edited by KennelMom

We use a Breakaway Tag Collar from Pikoda. The collar is embroidered with Rocket's name and my cell number. They have tons of styles / colors/ widths in embroidered collars. He wears this collar all the time in the event that he would get out of the house accidentally. The owner of Pikoda is also on GreyTalk.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

To get yourself in the habit of taking off the martingale just leave the leash attached. I very rarely ever detach the leash, when we get inside I just take the collar off and hang it with leash attached.

I use tag collars with the flat no jingle id from 2hounds design.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest greyers

Check out these tag collars at http://www.carpecanem.com/store/index.php/cat_6. They are attractive, comfie for the hound, and break away if the pup gets caught up in it.

I love this design. I have always wanted to get a "tag bag" so I can stuff the three-4 tags I have for them in a pouch and be jingle free. Do you have the braided or the ones with the stones?

Check out these tag collars at http://www.carpecane...index.php/cat_6. They are attractive, comfie for the hound, and break away if the pup gets caught up in it.

I love this design. I have always wanted to get a "tag bag" so I can stuff the three-4 tags I have for them in a pouch and be jingle free. Do you have the braided or the ones with the stones?

I have both, but prefer the simpler, braided one with a stone on the tag-bag. And yes, you can stuff 3-4 tags in there! Wendy's license, microchip, and I.D. tags are in there with room to spare.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest KennelMom

To get yourself in the habit of taking off the martingale just leave the leash attached. I very rarely ever detach the leash, when we get inside I just take the collar off and hang it with leash attached.

Our leashes have locking clasps, so they stay locked on to the collars and I just take the "single" unit off when we get home.

Edited by KennelMom

Same thing happened to SieSie and fortunately I was right there. Her scare happened not too long after Jodie got hers caught on the kitchen cabinet door (and I was right there fortunately). It was then I decided no more martingales in the house. I've used tag collars since.

Glad he is ok.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Our guys all wear the leather bolo tag necklaces from Long Dog Leather.

Scroll down to see the leather ones....

http://www.longdogleather.com/index.cfm?content=67&Menu=31

They will break if caught, and they go back together very easily.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Tag collar. I also don't hang any tags, I use the flat "slide on" ID tag. Never, ever does she have a martingale on in the house.

Ditto.

A friend just lost her 10 week old (non-greyhound) puppy. He strangled himself when his bone shaped tag got caught in the bars of a crate.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I have my 3 hounds in tag collars by NancyB and like them very much. They are satin lined velvet ribbon with no rings at all. They are sized perfectly for the flat engraved "tags" from Boomerang Tags.

How annoying! I can't post the link from my work computer. I will do so from home this evening.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Get one of these

http://www.daveengraves.com/daveengraves_020.htm

Mine have been wearing them for the last few years and nothing had gotten caught

Oh! I like these little indoor name collars - just ordered 2! We don't care about the tags jingling, we just started feeling too uncomfortable leaving their collars on indoors when we had one dog get his paw caught in the other dog's collar one day while playing. No harm done...but makes me nervous. Our dogs are chipped and we're going to give these a try on top of that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by Sundrop

I recently ordered the Dave Engraves collars for my two dogs. I like them a lot. These do have a D ring but it is tiny. You can't even clip a leash to it. A hound might get a nail caught in it but it would be unlikely. I'm quite satisfied with these. However, I leave the tags on their walking collars. I don't like tags hanging down to catch on things.