Steak's Seizures

Maybe a Thundershirt or daily melatonin would help.

I'm sure you're probably getting pretty tired of me posting :P , but I wanted to let you know why I mentioned putting a Thundershirt on Steak. The post below is from the EPIL-K9 list from about a year ago (I'm a little behind in reading them :blush ) and the woman mentions putting one on her dog right after she had a focal seizure....apparently, it plus the Kong Wobbler have really helped bring down the severity and length of the seizure. I know hers is a different situation than yours, and Steak's seizures are clonic-tonic, but I wanted to throw it out there in case it's something that might work for Steak (at least if you're home and you know there's a storm coming).

Hello Everyone,

GingerPeach had another focal seizure last week.

I immediately put her Thundershirt on, then briefly filmed her focal sz symptoms. Next I quickly filled the Kong Wobbler, got her started on it and and filmed her playing with it.

In this new video you can see the before and after (my previous video did not show the focal sz symptoms). Once engaged with the Wobbler the focal symptoms are reduced significantly! It was 2am, my camera skills were not so sharp, and lighting is dim but you can still clearly see what is going on, especially if you are familiar with focals.

I share my video in case it helps you and your epi-canines get through focal sz in a lower stress and shorter time period. This is also useful for post-ictal phase. Especially helpful for those of us dealing with LONG focal seizures and those people dealing with LONG post-icatl phase. I like that it is drug-free.

The video is public and available on my youtube channel "plumwoodposse", you may fwd the link to anyone you feel may be interested.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me or, better yet, post them directly at the video on youtube for all to learn from.

PS 1- no, I do not get profit from Kong or Thundershirt, ha! I just really appreciate their products. There is also the Anxiety Wrap which I've never used but have seen, and other food toys including original Kongs. I find the Wobbling action keeps her much more engaged :-)

PS 2 - Unfortunately GP had a grand mal combined with psychomotor/running sz last night :-(

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LindsaySF

When Sophie has a minor focal seizure (head twitching side to side), I can usually bring her out of it by distracting her with something (food, toy, etc). If that doesn't work, and the focal lasts longer than ~3 minutes, I give rectal valium, as her focals tend to precede her grand mals, or often turn into grand mals if they go on long enough. I wouldn't let a focal go on for longer than 4 minutes. But there is something to using distraction as a way to manage them. :)

Stress can cause seizures. For dogs that are storm/thunderphobic, that stress could definitely bring on a seizure. A thundershirt and/or melatonin can't hurt! Sophie's biggest stressor/fear is people. rolleyes.gif But for the vast majority of her seizures, we have never determined a cause. I brought her to GIG with the pack last year and she was great (all those strange people, strange place, etc), then this month she didn't go anywhere and she kept clustering. Sometimes you never do identify the trigger. I think sometimes their brain chemistry is just wonky, and they are "due" for a seizure.

How is Steak doing tonight?

~Lindsay~

Guest LindsaySF
The more I read about rectal Valium, the more I began to realize that it is great for seizures that come very close together--say with in 30 minutes to an hour of each other. The quick absorption you get with rectal administration gets the drug right in there to block the next seizure. However, with seizures occurring farther apart than about an hour, the effectiveness of the rectal Valium is gone by the time the next seizure rolled around.

My vet and I talked about this, he consulted a neurologist, and they came up with a different approach to stopping Piper's clusters. Now after each seizure I give him 1 1/2 grains of Pb and 10 mg of oral Valium. I give that same dose of both meds again avery six hours until he has been seizure free for 24 hours. These extra "cluster busters" are given on top of his regular dose of 5 grains of PB and 400 mg KBr daily.

Since starting this protocol 2 years ago Piper has gotten through 2 years, including 3 summers, with no cluster episodes. Unheard of in the previous 5 years.

Thank you for mentioning this. Sophie usually clusters the same way, her seizures are hours apart. (Last week the seizures were one right after the other, but not usually). I have a similar protocol for Sophie. She gets extra Phenobarbital after every seizure, and then an extra 100 mg at her normal medication times for the next 2-3 days. The rectal valium leaves her system too quickly, but the Pheno hangs around.

I will ask about oral valium too. Do you know what the half-life of oral valium is compared to rectal? I'm wondering if I should have some on hand for Sophie.

~Lindsay~

Guest K9_Lady
:cry1 Beth, I am sending all the positive and healing thoughts that I have for Steak. You know my heart was breaking watching this video, wish I had the answers. Hugs for you and the girls and I am so sorry that you are all going thru this with your handsome boy. He is blessed to have a home with you :grouphug

I've been reading and searching everything. :( This is the hardest thing I've ever experienced. I love him so much but am so flipping frustrated. I feel like I am doing everything wrong :(

After the valium this morning he had a good afternoon and evening, mostly just slept. I had to encourage him to eat but he did eat and then we sat outside in the grass for about 30 minutes.

At 10:20 this evening he seized again. He is back to dragging his back feet on the ground and even drug or curled under his front feet a few times. He had a harder time walking this time too. He is now still panting and I am just petting him.

I really like my vet but I am hearing you all loud and clear that as much as I like my vet and as nice as he is maybe he just doesn't have the experience needed in this situation.

I'm so tired. He is tired and I just am panicked about going to work tomorrow.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Javasmom

Is there anyway to get out of work tomorrow, or, have one of the girls stay with him and call you if things are bad so you can come home??

And he just had another... :( I'm going to just take him up to the ER vet. It's just too many. I just don't think I'm doing it right. This one was different too, he arched his neck and back and actually screamed a bit before going stiff and shaking :( His feet are all cut up from kicking himself.

Don't blame you a bit for feeling panicked about leaving tomorrow. Any chance you have any vacation time coming or could take a sick day? That's the first question. Second is, do you have a strategy for finding a better vet for this situation? Please let us know if there's anything any of us can do to help. We are so there with you on this, even though we're not. :grouphug I don't know what you might be doing right or wrong; but I know a wonderful, dedicated GH mom when I see one.

ETA: Just saw your last post. We'll be thinking of you and watching for an update.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I am so, so sorry to see this news about Steak. I'm sure you are feeling exhausted & defeated. I have nothing but admiration for you owners who have to deal with these episodes.

Perhaps if he's still seizing thru the night, you could drop him off at your vet's tomorrow morning. At least you'd know he was being watched over - and you need to know that he's being attended to if anything happens thru the day.

Sending luv & prayers to Steak, and strength & prayers to you that an answer can be found to his situation.

Edited to say - Oh crap, just saw that you're off to the E-vet. You poor thing, I so hope someone helps you find the right answers soon.

Edited by luvhounds2

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

And he just had another... :( I'm going to just take him up to the ER vet. It's just too many. I just don't think I'm doing it right. This one was different too, he arched his neck and back and actually screamed a bit before going stiff and shaking :( His feet are all cut up from kicking himself.

I don't know if you'll be reading this tonight, but it sounds like he needs to stay there overnight so they can keep him on a constant valium drip to try to ward off any more seizures. He needs to stop seizing (obviously) for at least 24 hours and sometimes a constant drip is the only way to achieve that if he's in a non-stop clustering cycle like the one you're describing.

Big :grouphug to you and Steak.

Edited by greypuppyluv

Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie

First off, I hope the E-vet is able to get things under control tonight. Sending good thoughts to you and Steak. :hope

I really like my vet but I am hearing you all loud and clear that as much as I like my vet and as nice as he is maybe he just doesn't have the experience needed in this situation.

Have most of the medication adjustments and switches been initiated by your regular vet? How involved has the neurologist been? Is your vet consulting with the neurologist on dosages and medication changes?

If your vet has been doing most of it on his own without consulting the neuro, maybe you just need to have the neurologist who has already seen Steak manage his care. If the neuro vet has been involved through all this, maybe you need a new neurologist.

Regarding the oral valium, everything I've read, and all the neurologists I've asked have said that oral valium doesn't get to the brain at high enough levels to help with seizures. I looked into it for my mastiff mix patient since his owner is just not comfortable giving rectal valium. I find it interesting that it seems to help with Lucy's girl Piper, so maybe there's something more to this?

goal of less than 1 seizure a month - my understanding is that the goal is to keep seizures to less than 1 per month (I may be wrong and if so, please correct me). If there are more seizures than that then I would think the medicines need to be increased and/or changed (please correct me if I am wrong here).

Actually the goal is much less than 1 seizure a month. For dogs that have occasional single seizures, the 1 seizure a month is typically the threshold at which most vets agree that medication should be started. In many milder cases, once the dog is started on medication, they stop having seizures completely, or only have 1 or 2 a year. With the more severe cases like Steak, and the 2 cases I mentioned earlier, I'd be pretty happy if we're able to get it down to a cluster every 3-4 months. I suppose the ideal goal would be no seizures at all, but that often isn't possible, and we just try to acheive the longest interval between seizures we can get.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Javasmom

Oh Beth, I am so sorry you and Steak are going through this. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. I think you are doing the best thing for him. Please let us know how things are going. :grouphug

Any news?

I'm at the vet. They started a drip but I keep hearing him and its tearing me up inside. :(. I had to leave the kids alone and my oldest is in tears. She keeps texting and is just as upset as I am. I just want him to be ok.

I'm at the vet. They started a drip but I keep hearing him and its tearing me up inside. :(. I had to leave the kids alone and my oldest is in tears. She keeps texting and is just as upset as I am. I just want him to be ok.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug to you and the kids. Hopefully Steak will get some relief from the seizures soon and will be able to get some rest (you too). I'll be thinking about you guys tonight.

ugh, beth. i hope they can get it under control. hugs to you and your family.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

It's 2:15am and I'm climbing into bed. Steak is staying the night at the evet. His temp was 106 and he would/ couldn't stand on his own. He has Valium on board and is also getting some fluids.

I pick him up in the morning and they have already been in touch with a different neurologist and she is expecting him in the morning.

{{{{{{{{{{Beth}}}}}}}}}}

{{{{{{{{{{Steak}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh Beth. Hopefully the new neuro will take a more aggressive approach to getting Steak under control. Keeping Steak and your entire family in my prayers.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I just saw this. Hoping for a positive update today. In the meantime, I hope you can get some rest :grouphug

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

More :grouphug:candle:hope

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.