Phene, Aka Phoenix

robinw

I just sent Phene to the bridge. He was diagnosed with osteo about 1.5 weeks ago. When I left for Halifax on Thursday (for work), he was doing great. Last night Tina (TinasTroops, his sitter and extended family member) let me know that he wasn't doing very well. I returned from Halifax this morning. When I went to pick Phene up, I took one look at him and knew it was time. I could see how much pain he was in (despite his cocktail of Metacam and Tramadol) and all I knew was that I never, ever wanted him to suffer again. We sent him to the bridge an hour later. He passed peacefully surrounded by those of us who loved him the most.

Phoenix. The best dog in the world. He never did anything wrong. I could leave a bag of open chips on the floor and he wouldn't touch it. He was quiet, gentle, loving, and the sweetest being I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. He looked exactly like the greyhound on the bus, only his nose was even longer.

It makes me smile to think that his sister Loca met him at the bridge. I hope she's already corrupting him.

Love you, Rainman.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IrskasMom

I am so very sorry Robin :grouphug Loca and Phene were ones of the very first Greyhounds when I signed up here to see,hear and read about. Phene joined Loca at the Bridge.

RIP sweet Phene :f_red:f_red:f_red

Phene, there are places over the bridge where a boy can get a tummy rub any time he wants, without even having to ask.

There are places to snooze in the grass, and places where you can dream of home and send your one true person a kiss on the wind.

Godspeed, unforgettable boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My breath caught when I saw the topic. I am so very sorry for your loss of your dear, sweet Phene.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Robin, I am so sorry. :grouphug

Godspeed Phene, someone's waiting for you to show you the ropes, buddy :gh_run

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Truly, truly the most precious Phener-weiner beaner that ever was. Robin, I am so so sorry he did not get to spend many more pain-free days with you - I was so hoping.

I hope you don't mind if I share a few pics; he (and you!) are so much a part of my life with Max:

Max & Phene at a meet & greet in Stratford; Phene was an indiscrimate snuggler!

maxphoenix-1.jpg

In all his regal, Phoenix glory, last April!

12thb-dayparty041.jpg

His favourite thing to do at playgroup - lean on someone and get pets!

MaxFriends017.jpg

You were so loved, you gorgeous golden-eyed boy! I'll miss you so much... :(

Robin, hugs to you - whatever you need, please don't hesitate to call me...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Guest TinasTroops

Phen (Rainman) we love you and miss you so much. :weep Robin remember we are here for you.

And thank you for allowing Eric and I to be there with Phen made his final journey. :weep

Was SO hoping you'd have more quality time together. :cry1 Godspeed, precious Phene... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Robin as soon as I came in the door from work Madison told me about Phene. I'm sooooo sorry. I'm glad I got to give him a bit of lovin' yesterday afternoon even though it wasn't enough. I will miss him too. Dewey won't be the same without his visit to my booth even thuough I know Treasure will be happy to see me.

I wish I could have been there to say goodbye too. Phene really was the sweetest, gentlest greyhound ever.

Larry, myself and the kids are all here for you and Treasure.

Run Free Sweet Boy - I'll miss you

Liz

I am so very sorry.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Oh Robin. I'm so very sorry. Maggie and I so enjoyed meeting the very handsome and sweet Phene at GIG this year. Sending you a hug. GodSpeed Phoenix.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

I'm so sorry, Robin :cry1 Hugs to you and Treasure :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--