Euthanasia At Home

If you have had a pet euthanized at home, please respond.

I have two 12 year old dogs, sisters, and both have issues. Rascal has cancer, and Ruby has a recent neck injury. I have spoken with my vet, and she's willing to come to our house when 'the time' comes. She will need notice, of course, since she just can't carry those drugs around; and it will have to be on her day off of course. Fortunately she lives nearby, so the distance won't be an issue for her.

Anyway, I think the time *may* be approaching for Ruby. Despite an incredible rally after her injury, she seems to be going downhill the past week or so. She is not eating as well, and therefore losing some weight again. Also, she is tired. Very tired. :( I am starting to see it in her eyes--she might not have a lot of fight left in her. :(

One of my concerns about euthanizing her at home is my other dogs. Her sister, Rascal, of course (and her days are probably numbered as well :() but more so Jack. Jack is apparently quite attached to Ruby--evidenced by him acting totally whacked out when she was in the hospital; he is just now (about 6 weeks post-accident) acting normal again.

If you've had this done at home, what did you do with your other dogs?

Will this be traumatic for Jack?

Should he be present, or in another room?

Is it better to do this at the vets?

Thanks.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I haven't done it at home so can't answer. Just, my heart goes out to you and your family.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Melissa, I don't have any answers. I'm just really sad that Ruby is doing so poorly.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I hope you get some responses - interesting question. But I am so very sorry that you all are going through this and you are in my prayers. hugs to you.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

I haven't done it at home, but Poodle and Rex were closer than close. I failed fostering Rex in about 4 hours after Poodle crawled in the dog bed with him. He'd never done that with any other grey before or since.

When it was Rex's time I took Poodle with to the vet, he was in the room next to Rex when he passed and they left the three of us alone for a while. It might be random but Poodle seemed to realize what had happened, was not upset and never grieved.

If she'll come to the house that's what I'd do if possible.

:grouphug

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

The vet came to the house when it was time for our 16 year old sheltie. One greyhound sleeping on the other couch, the other greyhound on a dog bed behind the sofas. Neither seemed moved by it at all, but i do not know if the attachment was there with the sheltie as much as your Jack. The greyhound on the dog bed had been with this sheltie her whole time with us ( 8 years at that time) so I think it would have been weird either way cause if we took him to the vets office, he would have gone and not come back and is that just as upsetting. For us, it was soooo much better at home, resting with us then in a cold vets office. Good luck and it sucks anyway you go.

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

I've had my vet come to the house to send my Faolin & Liath to the bridge. I am very happy she was able to & hope to do it that way for all my pups.

Liath left in February 2008, she on one dog bed, Faolin right next to her. It was very peaceful & he knew something had changed because he was watching her face after she left. He could tell, almost like he was urging her to wake up with his eyes. When it was Faolin's time this January, again he was on one bed & Conor ran over to lay right next to him on the other. Again peaceful & I'm sure Conor knew something was different.

Before they left, it had been a sad time in the house anyway so they knew things were different. I have no idea if they really know their friends are dead or just no longer around. Unless I had a goofball that might get in the way, I would want the other pups there.

I'm sorry to hear Ruby is slowing down & I hope Jack doesn't have to lose both his friends in a short period of time. grouphug.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Cara_Lea

We had our vet come to our home to euthanize Quinn. We did have Choo Choo at the time. We allowed her to "say goodbye" to Quinn before the vet actually injected him, and then took her out of the room while the vet did the injections and Quinn passed. I asked the vet if we should allow her to come back to sniff him or anything, so she would understand he was gone.. the vet said she didn't think it would honestly make any difference, so we kept her out of the room until DH had removed Quinn's body. It was a very peaceful passing and doing it at home was absolutely the best thing for Quinn in my mind. Choo did mourn his passing.. and she did struggle in the months after his death, before we adopted Ty.. however, I don't think it really mattered to her, one way or the other, that he passed here in our house. Though again, I have to stress it was the best possible thing we could have done for Quinn.

Pearl was sent to the Bridge Feb '10 from home. I wanted the others to come sniff her to know that she was gone, but no one wanted to come anywhere near her.

But, I didn't notice any particularly difficult grieving on their part. Surviving were her littermate Diamond, an older girl Onyx, and the youngster, Opal.

I lost Diamond 2 months later but she was done at the hospital. I had no clue that OS was rearing it's ugly head on one of Diamond remaining 3 legs. I figured behing a tripod she just overdid it. She was let go on the xray table.

But a year after Pearl, Feb of this year, Onyx loss the use of her back legs due to the ice. She was over 15. She went to the Bridge from home. Again no one came near her body and I didn't notice any particularly difficult time with Jade and Opal grieving. But Onyx really didn't play with them due to the age difference.

But I'm glad I did it at home. It was so much more peaceful for them to go on their own beds in their own home.

Guest Figmama

Wow, I cannot believe this thread was started but glad it was. It is soooooooooooo odd because it could not have been more then a couple of hours ago that I mentioned to my husband (assuming it was not an ER situation) that I might ask our Vet if he would take care of Ranger here at home. My husband gave me a very odd look. Ok, he is really not an *animal* person He loves them but they are animals. I've had to have my share of animals PTS over the years and it has been done at my Vet's office, which I never particularly cared for due to the sterile environment. I will say my Vet and his staff are always very supportive and compassionate. This may sound stupid but Ranger is really the largest animal I've had. All my others I was at least able to hold in my lap while they passed. I know I will not be able to do that with Ranger and he absolutely hates the Vet's office. He pants, shakes and just zones out when he is there. It's been worse lately because of all the testing he has had done, etc. I was thinking about asking my Vet that when the time came if it were possible to have it done at home. I'm sure he would do that.

Sensitive question but for those that have had it done at home, did the Vet take the dog with him/her afterwards?

I was able to do it at home for Bailey and I wish I'd been able to do the same for Holly. I just think it's so much calmer, especially for a pup that doesn't like to go to the vet's. I had no other dogs but I've read here that people just gate them out of the room, but then let them visit afterwards so they know what happened.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

To explain further...my vet and his assistant came. They let me spend as much time with her before and after as I wanted, and then they sat me in the backyard while they took her away. They didn't want me to see them struggling to carry her, I guess.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Cara_Lea

Sensitive question but for those that have had it done at home, did the Vet take the dog with him/her afterwards?

In my case, yes. However, this part was hard on DH.. my vet is a small, older woman and was not able to lift Quinn herself as he was over 80lbs.. so DH had to put Quinn in a special bag that they send dogs for cremation in, then carry him to her car.. they then drove to the clinic and DH had to carry Quinn's body and put him in the freezer at the clinic where they store the bodies until they are sent for cremation. It really was hard for DH to do.. but he agreed to it willingly because it was so much better for Quinn to be let go at home. He was also the type of dog who hated going to the vet's office and found the whole experience VERY stressful, and we didn't want his passing to be awful.

So sad to hear and a very interesting question and I'm noticing a trend in the responses. For dogs that seemed to be in the room or sniff afterwards, it seems they didn't grieve and might not have had as difficult of a time?

We took my best friend, Prince the pomeranian, to the vet to be put down and I was so upset because what was done was done and I just left him there in that cold room and I went back to a warm home afterwards - I brought him in but he didn't come back out with me (ugh I almost started crying just writing that). :cry1 Having it done at home seems much better and I'm happy to hear of the positive responses.

I'm so sorry to hear about Ruby and Rascal. You will know when the time is right.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I have sent all of my greyhounds to the Bridge from home. Aggie just left me in March at age 15. I had a friend come over and give her a nice massage and then she quietly went to the Bridge on her bed in the front window where she always laid. All of the other dogs have had free run of the house immediately after the event and none of them wanted to come near her. My remaining 4 were all off for a little while afterwards as far as eating goes and they were a little restless but that all went away after a few days.

I hope that I can send all my kids to the Bridge from home sine it's such a peaceful way for them to go.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

My vet came over when we let Mimi go at home. She was 15. Molly stayed downstairs with us since she and Mimi were the closest. We'd gotten them one month apart. Rocky and Maddy were upstairs because I'm pretty sure they would have been pestering my vet and wanting his attention - which I think would have annoyed Mimi. We didn't let the others see her after she was gone, and Molly never came over to look. She just stayed on her sofa and watched. They were all a bit off their food for a few days, but were otherwise OK.

Here in town we have a pet cremation service that will come to your home. They're wonderful folks who give the greyhounds a discount. I called them after I spoke to my vet and told them what time he was coming. The owner waited outside while we let her go and told us to tell him when we were ready. He brought a stretcher in the house with blankets on it and placed her on the stretcher and wrapped the blankets around and secured everything. I'm sure my neighbors were wondering what was going on if they happened to be looking. Kevin did help him carry the stretcher upstairs and put it in the car. It's wonderful how respectful they are of the body. A couple of days later they will personally deliver the cremains to you instead of you having to pick them up somewhere. I ordered Mimi a wooden box from them with her name engraved on it, and when it came in he brought it to me and transfered the cremains himself from the temporary box so I wouldn't have to do it.

I want to let the others go at home if it works out.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

I sent Scarlett to the bridge from home and it was as good as that situation could ever be. She was an only so my worry was that my next grey would somehow sense what had happened on that couch and not want to sleep/lounge there. No worries. Morgaine didn't seem to notice at all. Nor did Aquitaine when she came to me.

I think if you can do it at home it is the best option for all concerned. Your dog doesn't need to leave their bed, you are at home when you fall apart, etc.

My vet gave me a few minutes with Scarlett after she went, I was holding her and knew the exact second she was gone but he gave me a few extra minutes, then he had my friend take me out of the room while he prepared her to take to the office prior to cremation. I had arranged for her favorite stuffy to go with her and that was forgotten but he did come back for it the next day.

I am so sorry that you are going through this now. I know we all do but that doesn't mean it ever gets easier.

Guest barkdogs

Leo, my big handsome fawn boy, was euthanized at home on December 17, 2008. I bought him a really big steak and managed to actually cook it properly. I put on some nice classical music, and all his dog and cat friends were in the room. Sid the cat even snuggled up to him for a while--I have never seen him do that, and he grew up with Leo. My friend Yvonne came over and we had a martini and toasted Leo. When the vet came, I fed Leo and his friends slices of the steak, and us humans ate a little of it too. Leo was uncomfortable (he had osteo) so she gave him a sedative and he curled up on his bed and went to sleep, at which point she euthanized him. It was all very peaceful. Oddly, it wasn't until I carried his limp body out to her car (he was a big guy, and I am small, but I wanted to carry him as I felt like it was the last time I could do something for him) that I lost it--in the middle of the street, with this big greyhound in my arms, I just started sobbing.

My other animals were OK. They didn't want to come close to his body once he died, but they were also very quiet and OK with it, except for Sid the cat--he started peeing in my house and finally after a year and a half of trying everything I could do I had to re-home him at a riding stable in Fairmount park, where he has been the resident computer cat for about 10 months now.

Would I do it again? definitely. Sid was an unusual cat with unusual issues. I do think my other animals knew that he was suffering and he was ready.

Last summer I had to have my beloved red aussie Rachel euthanized at the hospital at U Penn, as her time came on a Sunday morning. When I came home without her her lifelong companion Odo spiraled into terrible anxiety for months, and he lost 10 pounds. Eventually a combination of valium, xanax and time helped him to come back. He is finally most of the way back to himself, and he did eventually gain most of his weight back (he had been at a healthy weight so he was emaciated without those ten pounds) I can't help but think that if Rachel could have died at home he might have had a little bit of an easier time of it.

Best of luck. These decisions are never easy.

Of my six greyhounds, murphy, shine, kim, sprite, red & lottie. I was able to have three pts at home.

Dog is more comfortable, much less stress than going to the vets, which few really dogs enjoy.

We let Lottie go last week, she was ready. As Rascalsmom wrote, she was tired.

Our vet is a traveling vet, no office, so she had no problem coming to the house, and timing it so that we had time to take her to the angel view pet cemetary and crematorium ourself.

Yes I have them laying on their final blanket as they are pts, then wrap it securly around them, and pick them up, i am stronger that I look, and take them out to my vehicle, then drive them down myself.

I have done that with ALL of them. I will pick their body up at the vets and help them load them into my vehicle then take them on their last ride. Then arrange for an individual cremation.

My father goes to pick up the ashes for me.

I have a thing about their collars,.their collar stays on in the hopes that where ever their spirit ends up, the escence of the collar shows to remind them that they were a loved part of the family, until the vet pronounces. They i removed it and save it.

Lottie got her last ride on the eleven days ago, on the 12th.

hope this helps

oh i forgot, Harry was in the room, laying on a nearby bed when lottie passed. When red was pts at the vet due to hemagio, we brought lottie in, Sprite passed with me holding her at the vet hospital, after a long and draining illness. Shine was pts without anyone there due to issues beyond my control/knowledge or I would have been there for her. Kim was pts at home and the others were around, she had osteo. Murphy was pts at home too, thoracic tumor and age, the others were around, and all to got to sniff once she passed.

I think it helps them to know that their friend, buddy, playmate is gone.

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

I've never had the vet come to the house, but I'm thinking now that it would be much more peaceful. We have a good relationship with our vet, and I think she might to it. From the replies, I don't think it is more upsetting for the remaining dogs. I honestly don't think any of my 4 now would be devastated.

Melissa, my heart is aching for you. It would be sad to lose one, but so very hard to lose both your precious girls around the same time. I guess you are emotionally preparing yourself for this---as much as you can. We'll be thinking of you.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

My vet came to my house both times. Jack just lay on his bed with his head in my lap. Jilly and Josh lay beside him. It was peaceful and the only way I would have it done if able to choose. The other two dogs were fine. The vet came with a stretcher and a vet tech . I left the room while they moved him to the stretcher just in case it was difficult for them to move him. They didn't need me watching.

For Jilly, she was on her couch with me cuddling her. Jonah came in but didn't stay. My vet wrapped her in a blanket and carried her out. I have no regrets at all and was so happy my vet would do it.

I'm sorry you are needing this information grouphug.gif

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I'm so sorry.

The only vet I've had do this was a vet who did ONLY housecalls, and he cost a fortune. I don't think any of the other vets in this area do it.

Anyway, my experience was actually very stressful. It was a cat, and when he got his injection, his bowels let loose all over me.

And then the vet took him away in a trash bag...it was pretty horrifying. This particular cat was vicious at the vet--they had his folder marked "DANGEROUS ANIMAL" on the cover, and would put a leather hood on his head--and I couldn't do that to him for his last trip.

When I had my dog put down, I sat on the floor of the exam room, and so did his vet. It was very peaceful--and she even cried with me. Then I stayed with him, but did not have to experience seeing him hauled away. I was able to claim his ashes in about 10 days.

I did have a cat just drop dead at home--again, horrible. I didn't know what to do. I KNEW that he was dead, but I couldn't process that one minute he was playing with a toy mouse, and the next he was dead. Here I was, an 15 pound cat, a 95 degree late afternoon--all I could think of was if I couldn't get him to the vet before they closed, I'd have to put him in the freezer and I couldn't bear the thought--and I just really needed to know that he was TRULY dead and that there was nothing I could have done differently--so I race off to the vet with him. I only bring this up because my other cats were there, and one of them changed dramatically after that day--and I sometimes wonder if he thinks I killed his brother. I can't explain why he's SO different, but I can't help thinking that I made a mistake grabbing his body and running out with it. :(

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I have only sent one from home. My first hound Future. Given the opportunity and circumstances, I would choose to do it that way every time. My vet (who has been my vet for 20 years) came out to the house on a rainy spring evening. Pooter was right in the room with us, Pearl watched from the next room. Both girls were just very quietly watching. It was as peaceful as it can get I suppose.

To answer the question, no the vet did not take my boy with him. We have a large property. All of our animals are buried here at home. My DH had already prepared the site beforehand. If I had my way, I would send each and every animal off this way.

Freddie was petrified of the vet's office. He let us know he was ready on Thursday so she and a vet tech came Friday morning. He was in his own dog bed and was very calm. He went peacefully. They took him (we had already made arrangements for cremation) which made it less difficult for us.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

We had our vet come by at the end of her work day for our GSD bridge boy a few years ago. It was a very peaceful passing as I had brought his bed out into the meadow and he laid down comfortably. He was buried on the site.

I plan to do it this way again - just so much less stress for the animal - and that's the most important part.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

If you have had a pet euthanized at home, please respond.

I have two 12 year old dogs, sisters, and both have issues. Rascal has cancer, and Ruby has a recent neck injury. I have spoken with my vet, and she's willing to come to our house when 'the time' comes. She will need notice, of course, since she just can't carry those drugs around; and it will have to be on her day off of course. Fortunately she lives nearby, so the distance won't be an issue for her.

Anyway, I think the time *may* be approaching for Ruby. Despite an incredible rally after her injury, she seems to be going downhill the past week or so. She is not eating as well, and therefore losing some weight again. Also, she is tired. Very tired. :( I am starting to see it in her eyes--she might not have a lot of fight left in her. :(

One of my concerns about euthanizing her at home is my other dogs. Her sister, Rascal, of course (and her days are probably numbered as well :() but more so Jack. Jack is apparently quite attached to Ruby--evidenced by him acting totally whacked out when she was in the hospital; he is just now (about 6 weeks post-accident) acting normal again.

If you've had this done at home, what did you do with your other dogs?

Will this be traumatic for Jack?

Should he be present, or in another room?

Is it better to do this at the vets?

Thanks.

I had to have my first greyhound, Windy, euthanized at the emergency vet because she had a stroke and diagnosis/prognosis was not good; however, I had my mixed breed hound, Belle, euthanized at home, which is definitely the way to go in my opinion. I coordinated the cremation service lady and the vet's euthanasia home visit, and when Belle was gone, the cremation lady helped the vet load Belle into her SUV. A couple days later, the cremation lady hand-delivered Belle's ashes and a lovely note. I feel very good about doing it this way and will continue to do so in the future if at all possible. There was no other dog in the house at the time, though, so I can't speak to that.