Charlie - Hind End Weakness

Early yesterday morning, Charlie had an 'episode' while eating his breadfast. Not really sure what happened as he was on the side of the island and I could not see him. All I know is he ran away from his food quickly and that is not my boy. He then appeared to collapse on his back leg but recovered okay. He came back to his food and I watched him and he weakened again at one point. Right after finishing his breaky, he ran over to a bed and essentially collapsed onto it which again is not him. Now of course I was getting worried and DW got our of bed because she heard me talking to him. We let him rest for a while and did not want to get him up but around 10:30 he got up on his own and all appeared good. We then took him out into the backyard for a walk on his leash and all was great - we were so relieved. We decided then to give him a double treat and go for a car ride into town and get him and his brother a Timbit. When we came home, I let him off the leash and he did very well when all of sudden he came up to me and had another episode of weakness and started to collapse. I held him up and could not tell whether he was in pain or having a seizure as he seemed to stiffen in my arms. At the same time I was in panic mode because this seemed to be worse than ever and I was trying to get DW's attention by calling out and slamming my hand on the deck (I could see her inside the house but of course she could not hear me). Once I finally got her attention, we decided then and there to go to the E-vet where he had his amp as they are very good at diagnostics. We drove the hour and after 5 hours and multiple x-rays, all that was found was he seemed to have a little pain when they palpated his spine. The x-rays of his leg, back and lungs appeared good and now we are just waiting on the orthopaedic surgeon who performed his amp to do a second review of the films just to make sure. Charlie is currently on Tramadol and leash walks, no more running around like a mad man as he usually does.

I truly, truly hate this disease...yesterday was hell.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

What a day for all of you! Fingers crossed he just has a strain and will rebound with some rest and meds.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MyCody

I am so sorry this is happening, just watched his video the other day and was amazed at how he gets around. Will say a prayer for him.

Will watch for an update.

II love that he got to go into town for a Timbit. I'll bet that you didn't have to ask twice to get him in the car.

Feel better soon Charlie.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest MorganKonaAlex

oh no. Morgan had episodes of 'throwing out his neck' (for lack of a better term). They started before his amp but he had a few afterwards too. I had a medication cocktail on hand of tramadol, pred. and valium for when they happened. Sometimes it would suddenly pop back in. Sometimes it would slowly get better over 5 days or so. In the 10 years we had him, he had a half dozen of these episodes.

Many good thoughts for Charlie!

Hopefully he just overdid it a little bit. Please keep us updated on your beautiful boy.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Prayers going up for Charlie!!!!!!!!:hope

:coffee You know it crossed my mind that it sounded like it might have been muscle spasms. I say this because recently my 12 yoa Cash suddenly went down and lost all control of both hindlegs :omg . I took her to her regular vet who missed sacral region pain and the really good holistic vet Dr. Boswell. Thank God she recovered quickly. The really good vet said it may have been a muscle spasm as a result of the sacral region injury/pain possibly brought on by the many years of walking/running off kilter due to a broken hock that was never properly healed. In fact her poor foot don't even land on the ground right-that whole leg is knarly and twisted and of course unnaturally stresses her spine when she moves. When I look back it does look like that may have been what it was- the intense paralyzing pain followed by recovery in a few minutes. I wonder if Charlie could have stressed his back the same way by walking different after the amp or maybe just strained himself some zooming around? Maybe he was cramping up. We treat Cash with accupuncture and prescribed homeopathics and she is doing very well now and there has not been any recurrance. Occassionally I do give her an Etogesic or a tramadol if it seems especially painful but for the most part she still wants to happily run around and I am forever asking her to slow down. For Charlie::kiss2

PS-W ith Cash you can actually feel the injured area as there is heat there. Run your hand the length of his spine and see if you feel any areas of heat. If so for the short term you can treat with ice.

Edited by racindog

Aw, poor Charlie. And poor you for the rough day.

I wonder if something is out of whack from only being on one leg if chiropractic would help. :dunno

Hopefully this was just a little blip and he's back to normal for good. :goodluck Give him a kiss from me. :kiss2

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My neighbor's dane had her front leg removed due to osteo about 3+months ago. Her dog had a similar experience. The vet seems to think it is because the good leg is taking so much more on. She goes for accupunture & chiropator adjustments. Her owners seem to think it helps

Anyway I wish Charlie the best. :hope:candle

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

Charlie:

I'm so sorry you're not at your best. I truly hope it's nothing serious.

Maybe it's time for you to slow down just a tad? It happens to us all..spirit willing, flesh weak.

All our love,,,

Kathy, Desi, Skeeter

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

The good news is the orthopaedic surgeon sees nothing bad on the films which is fantastic! Hopefully he just over did himself and strained something. He'll be resting for a while and no more crazy zoomies for a while. I'll just have to ask all the squirrels to take a hike for a week or so.

Thanks all for your good wishes!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Glad to hear nothing bad was found! Based on how he seems to blast around the yard (from the pictures) it sounds like he just strained or tweaked something in his good leg. Maybe some acupuncture to strengthen it?

Kyle, I posted at CoG too, but Dude does this quite frequently - sort of collapses on his back leg. Usually it's after he been very active so I know it's because he's tired. I will keep him on the leash when this happens. It seems to reassure Dude that I'm right there and reassure me that he won't get a hair up his butt and take off.

My biggest problem with Dude is not letting him overdue it. He's kind of a 110% all the time guy, so "going slow" or "takingit easy" does KNOT compute for him.

Our oncologist suggested massage therapy and swim therapy for low impact ways to keep his muscles loose and to relieve tension on the ones that are working harder now that he has one less leg. I know Dude just loves it when I massage down his spine and leg. He'd lay there for hours if I'd do it that long.

Hope Charlie is right as rain soon. Hugs to you both!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank goodness for the good report. That happened with polli too after her amp. Over compensating.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

It's such an emotional roller coaster isn't it? I'm so glad things are okay. Feel better soon Charlie.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren