Charlie - Hind End Weakness

Kyle,

I am so glad you got a good report. This has happened with Joe too, although not as dramatically. He will pull up sometimes and just walk very stiffly. I called in to OSU immediately the first time it happened, afraid the OS had moved to his back. Dr. Couto assured me that this would be very low on his list of possibilities. When we went in for an exam they felt that his small amount of lumbar stenosis was the cause and being a tripod just aggravated it. Once he got some rest, he was fine. I just need to keep him from doing too many zoomies.

Jane

Thanks for the update, Kyle. Hugs to Charlie.

From his cheering section here in Rhode Island!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Hoping that this is the same rear end/back weakness that half brother Phoenix has, also, which isn't serious. Keep us posted, OK?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Just seeing this now....

Glad the vet reports were OK.

Tell that boy to settle down and take it easy!!

Nancy, Nixon & the girls

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest greymama002

Adding our most positive thoughts that Charlie will have no further episodes to scare his family like that. :grouphug Take it easy, sweetie. :kiss2

Just seeing this....and I'm glad to hear the films are clean....after watching his videos the other day I can imagine he may have pinched something.

Prayers he continues to do well and your nerves settle down.

Carol & Molleigh

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

We're so relieved they see nothing bad on the films!

Charlie, you better slow it down before you give all your fans (not to mention your dad) heart attacks!

:getwell sweetie!

xoxo,

Kim & Callie

The good news is the orthopaedic surgeon sees nothing bad on the films which is fantastic! Hopefully he just over did himself and strained something. He'll be resting for a while and no more crazy zoomies for a while. I'll just have to ask all the squirrels to take a hike for a week or so.

Thanks all for your good wishes!

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Guest azlorenz

Whew! I am so glad the ortho came back with good news. Hopefully it was just a spasm from over doing. Give him a greyt big hug for me and tell him he is my hero. :grouphug

Guest zombrie

Prayers going up for Charlie!!!!!!!!:hope

:coffee You know it crossed my mind that it sounded like it might have been muscle spasms. I say this because recently my 12 yoa Cash suddenly went down and lost all control of both hindlegs :omg . I took her to her regular vet who missed sacral region pain and the really good holistic vet Dr. Boswell. Thank God she recovered quickly. The really good vet said it may have been a muscle spasm as a result of the sacral region injury/pain possibly brought on by the many years of walking/running off kilter due to a broken hock that was never properly healed. In fact her poor foot don't even land on the ground right-that whole leg is knarly and twisted and of course unnaturally stresses her spine when she moves. When I look back it does look like that may have been what it was- the intense paralyzing pain followed by recovery in a few minutes. I wonder if Charlie could have stressed his back the same way by walking different after the amp or maybe just strained himself some zooming around? Maybe he was cramping up. We treat Cash with accupuncture and prescribed homeopathics and she is doing very well now and there has not been any recurrance. Occassionally I do give her an Etogesic or a tramadol if it seems especially painful but for the most part she still wants to happily run around and I am forever asking her to slow down. For Charlie::kiss2

PS-W ith Cash you can actually feel the injured area as there is heat there. Run your hand the length of his spine and see if you feel any areas of heat. If so for the short term you can treat with ice.

This was my first thought, too. Mira had an episode in November where she just couldn't control her back legs. Her back end would collapse, her body stiffened up but didn't appear to be in pain. Turned out she has a bit of arthritis in her back and she tested positive for lyme disease, so the lyme made her arthritis flare which caused muscle spasms.

Hopefully these episodes go away! My thoughts are with you and Charlie

I'm glad the reports came back good - I am another one of Charlie's fans! We continue to pull for him at this end.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

:hope I just saw this now Kyle. Hoping it's something simple that's cured with rest. :kiss2 for Charlie

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest RICHandJUDE

The good news is the orthopaedic surgeon sees nothing bad on the films which is fantastic! Hopefully he just over did himself and strained something. He'll be resting for a while and no more crazy zoomies for a while. I'll just have to ask all the squirrels to take a hike for a week or so.

Thanks all for your good wishes!

Thank God the x-rays appear clear. Hopefully Charlie just needs a little rest. I follow your plight all the time. My Santa looks exactly like your Charlie. (Same size, same color, and same amputated leg and 7 years old) I believe you said that Charlie had his amputation in July. Santa had his in September. My Santa runs around the yard just like your Charlie. Keep up the good work, Charlie. Santa looks up to you.

Charlie has so many fans and admirers who are pulling for him. Sending out good thoughts to join all the others, and hoping for positive updates/

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

• 2 weeks later...

Well we seem to be back to normal (and for Charlie that is saying something). He is off the Tramadol and doing well. He has not shown the same weakness he had before so hopefully it was just soreness or something he pulled. We will be monitoring him closely and will try to keep him calm but the only way to do that outside is a leash. Two pups on a leash now and of course they cannot be walked together in the backyard - Shelby is afraid of Charlie as we believe he hit her the other day and caused her problems.

Thanks for everyone's good wishes, they seemed to work and I know they helped us!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Poor Charlie! Poor you! Sounds a lot like what's been happening to Phene. I wonder if it's genetic. Anyway, Phene responds really well to chiropractic. Is there a chiropractor near you that works on dogs?

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Poor Charlie! Poor you! Sounds a lot like what's been happening to Phene. I wonder if it's genetic. Anyway, Phene responds really well to chiropractic. Is there a chiropractor near you that works on dogs?

Robin, yes there is a holistic vet that we have seen before who is about an hour away. We'll see about getting both Charlie and Shelby in to see him when he has an opening on his schedule!

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thanks for updating, Kyle! Glad to hear he's feeling better.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.