Tiny Has Osteo

Tiny has been limping off and on for a few days. I had a bad feeling about it. It was the same leg that Argus had osteo in, and although he could easily have slipped on ice or banged it on something, I just had that sinking feeling that something was really wrong.

And there it was. That nasty black shadow on the x-ray, and little jagged calcifications protruding from the bone.

Aside from a minor limp and a bit of swelling, he really doesn't seem to be in much discomfort. He's still playing, eating everything that he can get in his mouth and roaching on the couch. So we're starting off with Rimadyl for the swelling, and when that doesn't do the trick we'll add in the heavier stuff, probably Tramadol and Gabapentin. The vet felt that amputation/chemo wouldn't buy him much if any time and recommended managing his pain and spoiling him absolutely rotten. So that's what we'll do.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I am so sorry. This is just such devastating news.

I opted for amputation for my Joe and he is doing well 6 months post amp. The latest chest x-rays shows that his lungs are still clear.

You might want to get a free second opinion from OSU. They can also fill you in on life expectancies with various treatments. They have made some significant progress in treating osteo but it is still pretty bleak.

Here is info on how to contact them:

Here is info on how to contact Dr. Couto and his team:

The email or phone consult is free, but you must submit your request via the internet. Go to the Ohio State University Greyhound Health and Wellness Program website:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/index.cfm

Click on Consultation Service and then cursor down to find the link to the consultation form. Someone from the team will respond.

Please note that your vet can reach the team by calling Stephanie Yochem at (614) 292-0950.

The OSU GHWP will provide certain chemo drugs for free but you will need to pay to have them administered. Please be aware that not all chemo drugs are available.

Additional information about the program:

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

(registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners. They are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for one of the other vets or vet techs to “translate”.

The consult is free but if you can afford to support the program please do so. You can sign up for full access to the website ($99 per calendar year) or donate through the giving page on the website. If you decide to donate, you can double your money by giving through the Greyhound Project. They will match the funds that you donate.

Just go to this website and scroll down to the appropriate donation button:

http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/donate.shtml.

The Team:

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. William Kisselberth, Oncology

Dr. Cheryl London, Oncology

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Oncology Resident

Dr. Matt Sherger, Oncology Resident

Dr. Joelle Fenger, Oncology Resident

Dr. Roberta Portela, Oncology Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Stacey Gallant, Vet Tech

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. They do 20 to 30 greyhound consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation. If you are contacting them on an emergency basis, please let them know.

If you want to make an appointment to be seen in person/canine, you can call the main number to set up a date/time. The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

If you can, will you take some pictures of your handsome boy and share with us? Sending lots of hugs for both of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so so sorry to hear this. My Argos had it in his shoulder as well. The amp would have been so invasive, we just couldn't bring ourselves to do it. :bighug s for you all.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I am so sad to read this news. I hope Tiny has lots of good days to spend with you. Take photos, make memories, make every day count.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My heart just sinks every time I see that word. And it's been so often lately. Wishing you strength during this sad time, and sending prayers to you and Tiny for many more precious days together.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm so sorry. I remember well your journey with Tiny.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren