Prayers Needed

Guest HappyHarleysMom

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stripeyfan

So glad to read that Harley is home. Fingers crossed he starts to feel better soon and EAT, even if it's just a little bit at a time.

As for the swelling, does your vet have any idea if there's a specific condition behind the IBD symptoms? There are certain ones which come under the banner of IBD which can cause low albumin/protein levels, which the swelling can be a result of. I hope you can get to the bottom of this, and please keep us posted, we're thinking about you and Harley! grouphug.gifgrouphug.gif

Edited by Stripeyfan

I hope Harley starts to feel better soon.

I haven't read all the replies, but did anyone suggest Care Credit? I use it for my dogs all the time. Just make sure to either pay it off, or transfer the balance at the end of the time alotment otherwise you'll get whallopped with high interest.

But before then, it's interest free. I've had 18 months to pay off $3000. No interest.

Good luck.

Guest jurishound

:hope

For your Harley! Our beloved Talca had IBD - she was very, very sick with impossibly low albumin levels and abdominal ascites. With a novel protein diet (venison and potato), prednisone and imuran, she improved dramatically. I hope your Harley responds quickly!

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Sorry I'm late getting here today. I have been taking naps in between pill time, bathroom times and food times.

Well, I am cautiously optimistic as Harley took another baby step 5am this morning: he ATE again! And, has been doing so every couple hours. Only chicken though. But, for now, we're just trying to get him to eat and if it's only chicken, we'll take that baby step!

The vet said I can start increasing the quantity every two hours so I'm giving him about 4-5 T. of food at a time. No vomiting, no spitting up. He is burping and vet says he may have reflux but not to worry at this time unless the burping turns into vomiting.

The fluid in his face, paws, and legs looks much better today YAY!! So, the fluid and his not eating were the vets 2 concerns for Harley right now, and both today have improved. We're praying that the improvement will continue.

The diarrhea is still there, and is not any firmer at all. But, they're saying that until we can get Harley on novel foods, he may just keep the diarrhea. As long as we don't start seeing blood again. It is possible we may see some bloody diarrhea, as he progresses, but so far we've not seen any. It's still not normal color--it is dark brown, but it's not the black color that it was last week. YAY.

His back side continues to improve, and he doesn't mind too much at all when I apply Destin now.

Our regular vet gave me another food idea to try and get Hoo Hoo to eat. Since he's turning his nose up at the chicken rice mixture--Dr. Wade says he may be associating it with bad memories of throwing it all up and feeling so badly--anyway she suggested bow tie, spiral, or macaroni pasta boiled in FF chicken broth.

That's my next step as soon as I finish here. I've got some fat free, low sodium chicken broth, and I've got the pasta, so we're going to give it a try.

Yesterday, Harley was so out of it that his eyes were drowsy looking, almost had that look of being on major drugs or something. Today, he looks more alert, and his eyes look normal. I told the vet, and she said just what we thought, that Harley needed to rest after the hospital stay. Just like people getting no rest in the hospital, Harley needed rest too.

Har's overall demeanor is still very quiet, but I must say he looks better than yesterday. He even watched me eat a grilled cheese sandwich--that's the Harley we know and love--keeping his eyes on the food. Yesterday he couldn't even stay awake let alone care what anyone was doing or eating.

The prednisone is making him have to go outside every two hours. He drinks his water with no problem, so I know he doesn't need fluids. The prednisone makes him thirsty. His signal of "I have to pee, mom" is that he starts licking his genital area. That's my cue. So, I stand up, then he jumps up and makes a beeline to the door. Yesterday, I had to wake him up and make him get up to pee or poo. So, there's a difference.

I also saw him rubbing his face with his paws. Had an itch. It's these little things we're seeing that give us a glimmer of the normal dog, instead of the very sick dog just laying there. I know it's not much, but it's something.

AND, when I was in the kitchen breaking up chicken, Har was outside doing his business. When I brought him back inside, I gave him the chicken and I walked back to the counter to break up a little more. Well, yesterday's Harley could care less, and just wanted to go lie down. Today's Harley walked right up to me at the counter, with his needle nose trying to see what I was doing! Another small glimmer of Harley--small, but we'll take it.

So, that's where we are right now. We have hope. Real hope. Small, but real.

Thanks once again for continuing prayers, white lights, and good thoughts. It's GREATLY appreciated, and working.

And, thanks for listening. I'm trying not to beat myself up if I do something wrong like letting Harley's face get swollen yesterday. I'm doing the best I can, I know. I just want to do right by Harley, and be a good nurse/mom to him. I don't want to make any mistakes.

Also, our vet did have Care Credit at 26% interest after 6 months. We just couldn't do it. I've been laid up for 2 1/2 years from an accident at home, complications from my injury and 3 surgeries, and haven't been able to get a second job. Chuck took a big pay cut in 2008 when the economy tanked. So, we've struggled to pay regular bills let alone this bill for Harley. There is no way we could have paid this off in 6 months, so the 26% interest would be a bigger problem than the lower rate credit card we did use. But, thanks for the suggestion. I've been out of the wheel chair/crutches since fall, walking with a cane and new back problems from the foot injury, and I will never get better. I have permanent and painful disablity now. But, I'll have to find a second job. I have no choice now. Hopefully, I'll be able to stand my own pain to be able to work outside the home. But, that's another story. (it's been a bad 2 1/2 years)

Har's albumin level must be improving since his fluid is greatly reduced today. We were told it was either from the IBD or the inflamed skin, or both. But, I'm hopeful, since it looks way better today. It was in his abdomen as well, and is still there but less of it. His paws and legs look almost normal now, and the swollen face is gone today. Good signs.

The reason behind the IBD? We don't know. There is still a chance that Harley has cancer that was not detected with the endoscopy. Harley is not one to eat foreign objects, so that's out. I don't think anyone put anything in our fenced in yard. The worst he could have eaten would be peanuts that squirrels bury in the yard, or rabbit poop. He doesn't have parasites. We can't think of anything out of the ordinary, and they've tested him for various things, so, in answer to why IBD, we just don't know. I'm praying it's not undetected cancer.

Harley's progress for survival right now, today, looks a bit better than yesterday. YAY!!!!!

I'll pop in later. I'm going to make the pasta right now and maybe get a nap in until next pill time or bathroom time.

hugs,

Sher

It's great to hear that he's making progress.

A couple of things from my experience with Minnie: it's possible for IBD to lurk undetected until there is a major crisis. And it can take a long time for the stool to firm and for the dog to gain weight, even after a novel protein is introduced--the gut has to heal, and that takes time.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

So glad to hear he has improved today. One step at a time. Hugs to you and your family.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Wonderful news!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Continued good thoughts from here....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I'm so glad the swelling is starting to diminish and hope it continues in that direction! :colgate

Our IBD dog Spencer developed an inflammatory response to chicken -- along with beef and buffalo -- which is what he was eating when we knew he had SIBO but didn't yet know about the IBD. I'd be very suspicious that Harley has done the same thing. At least I wouldn't be quick to dismiss Harley's reaction as due to negative association with vomiting it. Rice is another thing some IBD dogs can develop inflammation toward. For us, getting to a novel protein and sweet potato for the carb was key to Spencer's recovery of the ability to eat well, gain weight, and do as well as he has. Well, the medicines were also crucial! But we learned to trust Spencer's judgment when he rejected foods. YMMV. :grouphug

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

We are happy to hear their is progress, even if small. We are continuing to pray for you all....

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Thanks for the continued thoughts and prayers everyone. :) It's 1:15am, and Harley's appetite is definitely coming back. He's loving the pasta boiled in ff/low sodium chicken broth. I'm just tickled!

Thanks for the info on your IBD experiences. I'm taking it all in. As we hopefully pass this initial crisis and Harley survives, I'll be rereading these posts and getting my IBD education while following vet's instructions. I'm glad for the internet!

Thank you for letting me know that it will be a long time healing for Harley. Right now I am sort of micro analyzing every little move, behavior, sound, etc. Harley does. I doze off and hear him burp and I'm immediately up looking to see if he's vomited--which he hasn't. But, you know what I mean--I can't take my eyes off him right now, but it's because he's been so sick.

But, I did want to pop in and post this because I'm so happy to see Harley excited to eat, and keep it down! A big YAY!

Well, pill time and hopefully nap time for me so I'll be back later today.

Thank you so much for helping me through this, everyone. You've all been such a huge help for me.

And thank you for continued prayers and good thoughts for Hoohoo.

hugs,

Sher