Prayers Needed

Guest HappyHarleysMom

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Thanks guys, I need all the suggestions I can get.

Greyhead, I like that - the Harley Fan Club! I keep telling him that he has many people routing for him.

I'm running out of ideas and Harley is running out of appetite. I tried egg whites this morning and he ate a few bites but that was all. He wouldn't eat pasta or chicken either. I got desperate and gave him canned salmon. It's packed in water and sodium, which I know the sodium is bad but like I said, I'm desperate. Well, he gobbled it up like there was no tomorrow.

So, of course I ran right out and bought some more fresh salmon. Boiled it up, and about 4 hours later tried again. Well, he just sniffed it. Tried chicken, and said no to that too. I tried whole wheat pasta since I noticed he likes it better than regular pasta, and he gobbled it up. I hit a winner, finally.

Tonight, I tried everything again, and he ate nothing. I'll try again later.

My mom came over today. Harley loves to see grandma, as I tell him - Grandma's here--grandma's here to see Harley--he always gets excited. Well today, grandma brought salads for both of us to eat. We sat in the living room and ate them. Harley was eyeing up both of us while we ate. Then, like Harley always does, but hasn't since he's been sick, he got up from his couch, walked over to my mom, and stood there right next to her. It's the old Harley doing it--he will walk over to the person and stand there until I say "no Harley, this is mommy's food or grandma's food" and then he'll go lay down again--it's the food beggar in him (he and Pirate alway do this together).

Here's an oldie but goodie example Harley, as he stands by grandma while she eats her salad. It was taken two years ago, and this is the Harley we saw today for the first time since he got sick - actually getting up off the couch to go see grandma's food:

Whatcha%20eatin.jpg

This one below, was snapped moments after the above. Harley decided, well, if grandma won't gibs me her salad, I will try to get mommy's salad. It was when I was laid up from one of my surgeries, and I'm propped up in my lazyboy chair across from my desk where mom was sitting. Lol, all Harley had to do was turn around and hit me up for my salad. (it's tradition that mom comes to visit me with salads for lunch):

Hi%20there.jpg

And, today in the kitchen, I'm cooking his food, and he's right there sniffing, going to the counter trying to sniff if there's food there--but then when I give him the food he must eat, he turns away. It's like he is hungry, he's being a food beggar, but won't eat his own food.

Therefore, he has only eaten the 16 oz. can of salmon, and a cup of pasta all day.

I'm upset about this because Harley got his blood work today, and weighed in at 59 pounds now. This new weight loss is so upsetting, and I cannot help but feel I am losing the battle despite the good signs.

Today, he was outside doing his business, and he tried to do his happy poop dance. He didn't have the energy, but he tried it--it was the first time since the beginning of the year he's tried to do it.

Some of his stool is almost formed, although very soft, and other times are still like cow patties. Still dark brown.

His tail was wagging more than it has for a long time--going for a ride to the vet had him excited, his short lived happy poop dance, and watching me cook food all had him wagging away.

But, it is the eating part. I am losing the feeding battle as his weight continues to go lower and lower.

I didn't hear from Dr. Wade today. She was off, and I sort of didn't expect to hear from her until tomorrow. But, she will have the printout I made with all the suggestions for food that you guys and GT'ers gave me. I look forward to hearing from her tomorrow.

I hate the thoughts I am having. Thoughts of dread, of defeat, of fear I am losing Harley. He reminds me of Lucky Lee, the sick stray I took in a few years ago. Lucky had thyroid disease, he was deaf, and he had a big tumor in his abdomen. He was flea and tick ridden and it took me 3 months of his living in the garage until I finally was able to take him in the house, flea and tick free. He lived with us for two years.

Lucky looked pretty good for about a year and a half. Then he started losing weight. He got very thin in the last few months of his life. He was skinny as a rail, like Harley is now. He ate and slept, and got smaller and smaller. The vet said I was feeding the tumor, more or less, that all Lucky ate went right to the tumor. He looked like Harley does now. He died in my arms one morning, and it was heartbreaking for me. I love all my babies.

I don't like these thoughts, but they are there in my mind, as I go on with the day. Harley looks just like Lucky when he died. I'm up when he eats, and down when he sniffs food but walks away. I'm so scared that we'll lose this battle because Harley is starving to death.

I'm really sad right now.

Sorry if I've missed in it one of your earlier posts, but is Harley on any medication for nausea? The interest in food but then not wanting to eat makes me wonder if he's a little nauseous at times. Something to discuss with your vet... I'm fairly new here but have been reading some of the posts and keeping all of you with sick pups in my thoughts.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Welcome jjng! Harley is on a number of meds:

Pepcid

Sulcrafate

Metronadazole

Baytril

Denemarin

Prednisone

So, the Sulcrafate, which is carafate, coats his stomach, given every 8 hours. The pepcid is also for his stomach. The vet did tell me he will have nausea at times, and belly aches. I feel the way you do, that Harley wants to eat, but just can't bring himself to do it. I just tried to feed him again, and he was interested, even chewed some pasta, but spit it out. He sniffed every dish I tried - pasta, chicken, salmon, eggs, but no go except for chewing and spitting out the pasta. He was due his carafate, which I just gave him. I'll try in a few hours after the carafate does its job. Plus, the Pepcid is every 24 hours, 8am and 8pm. Maybe it doesn't keep working for the whole 24 hours. Just a thought.

I have to do some work right now, so maybe later on he'll feel better to get the food down after I finish working. I hope...

Then I'll sleep for a bit...

While the Pepcid and sucralfate help protect his stomach, they don't specifically address nausea. If his appetite continues to be poor, I'd consider asking your vet about trying something like Cerenia or Reglan to see if that helps. Just a thought....best wishes for your boy!

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Thanks Jennifer. When I talk to Dr. Wade tomorrow--well it's 3 in the morning--when I talk to her later today, I'll ask about those specific drugs. Thanks for giving me the drug names.

Couple thoughts:

1 - Ask the vet about holding off on the Pepcid for a day or two. Sometimes if they're getting more than 1 stomach med, they won't feel hungry.

2 - One trick that sometimes helps get a sick dog to eat is, "bite for me, bite for you." Sit down with a people bowl full of whatever you want to feed dog and a spoon. You take a bite (you can pretend if it's Tripett with vanilla ice cream on top -- urp!), then offer dog a bite. Repeat repeat. This works particularly well with crispy things like graham crackers but can also work with soft items.

Lots of hugs for you and your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Based on the canned Salmon, it sounds like salt and stink are appealing. Ask the Dr. if there's anything acceptable that he can have with those things in it. Can you boil the pasta in salty water? Can he have tuna? Sardines in olive oil? Any canned dog foods? I am grasping here because I have been where you are with a dog who is not eat and is dropping weight like crazy. I am sorry. I hope things improve. All I can suggest is ask her what the guidelines are and how far you can push them. Re-read the threads here. It seems that dogs who have not been eating (often in the hospital) like stinky things like McDonald's and tripe to get their appetites going again. But I know he is limited in what he can eat.

Also, is he drinking enough? Good luck today.

finalsiggy.jpg

Have you talked to Robin M...she has an IBD grey and may have suggestions.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross