Prayers Needed

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Saturday night 10pm.

I picked up Harley's medicine and spoke with Dr. Wade. She filled me in a little bit more about the ALT and billirubin. She told me that Dr Martinez suggested a third ultrasound if Harley doesn't get better with the liver issue because she would be looking for cancer. So we both said we would talk about it if that time came. But if that time comes, we won't be doing a third ultrasound to look for cancer. I can't think too much about that or I will lose it big time.

Harley is the same today. Eating pretty good - about a cup to cup and 1/4, three times so far today. I'll try one more time at 1am. I had to delay his feeding today because the liver medicine, Denamarin, has to be given on an empty stomach.

Dr. Wade said the prednisone could be contributing some to Harley's high liver values, but for as high as they are, she said it isn't all prednisone. She said it could be the inflamation, since everything else was so inflamed - intestines, skin, spleen. She said if this is the case, again, Harley has a long recovery ahead because he is starting at such a low point. If he gets worse, we'll all have to sit down and talk.

But, even with all the sleeping he is doing, when I got my coat on to get his medicine, he got up from his mattress, came out to the kitchen, tail wagging, and actually front paws jumped off the floor in hopes of going with me! The old Harley. Boy, what a great sight. So, I took him. He laid in the back, leaning against the side of the car with his head high enough to watch out the window. I couldn't say no to him, and frankly I didn't want to leave him alone since Chuck was working. He laid in the back, leaning high enough against the side of the car so he could watch out the window.

Getting Harley to keep his coat on is hopeless. I tried again and he would not take a step outside. I coaxed him, helped him down the steps and then he walked like he was tipsy, and looked up at me like, 'why do you do this to me mommy, you know I hate my coat.' He peed, then walked drunkenly toward the house. I met him on the sidewalk about 10 feet from the steps, and took the coat off. Well, don't you know, he then walked normally again, making it up the two steps on his own. I told Dr. Wade, and she lauged and said Harley acts more like a cat - when she put a sweater on her cat, he tipped over like a tree just being cut down - Timber.... lol. Harley the cat.

Now Harley walks over to me when I'm sitting down, for our usual "loving and hugs" sessions where I wrap my arms around his whole body and he rests the top of his head on my lap - bowing his head so it's upsidedown. He has only done this on his way back to his bed after he had been up already for something else, pee time, whatever, but oh how nice it feels even if he doesn't get up for that reason alone. It's so wonderful that he still remembers and wants to do it.

Well, his diarrhea has improved to the point where the last two movements were not round cow patties, but starting to form, yet very soft. And still dark brown. But, we'll take it. His back side is completely healed now. He is going longer now between bathroom trips, so I've been able to sleep a little more - which really helps my state of mind. I don't know how young mothers do it with babies needing something every two hours around the clock for weeks and weeks. I'd collapse, I think. But, I'm not in my twenties either. I'm 49, disabled, and tired from my own health issues. But still. I don't know how they do it.

I'm praying his liver gets better with this medicine, Denamarin. Since the ALT and billirubin readings weren't from fasting, we really don't know the true numbers until he gets the fasting test on Tuesday. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe it's worse than we think, or maybe it isn't. We will find out though.

It is hard to focus on anything else. Pretty soon though, I will be starting my crazy-busy season, the 14-16 hour work days with the tax collector job. I will have to focus on it to keep up with the paperwork. I hope I can handle both. I have no idea how I'm going to do a second job too. I guess I'm thinking too far ahead with that. Right now, Harley needs me, and I'm blessed to at least have the one job here at home.

I'm glad you liked the pics to see how Har looks now. I appreciate you hanging in there with me and praying for Harley. He really needs it. This liver thing is worrisome. I'm not giving up. Not yet. WarmHeartedPups, your experience sounds like ours, and Phillypups, your prednisone experience sounds familiar - it gives me hope, and I am so glad your dogs made it through their bad days.

WarmheartedPups, you wrote about the good days and bad - ups and downs of IBD, and it seems to be the common thread I have heard here from every GT'er posting about their own IBD hounds. Very intense, very much a roller coaster of hope, let down, hope, let down, etc.

Also, like Mary (greyhead) says, Harley's age is a consideration regarding his muscle loss, and it does concern me. Right now, I'm just praying he gets through this to a good quality of life. If Har is truly cancer free and it's just the IBD, then Harley still has a long way to go. Like Dr. Wade says, he's starting from such a very low point.

thank you thank you thank you for keeping the prayer chain going - our Hoohoo needs it. I thought he was out of the woods and that we got our miracle. This liver thing. I'm scared, but keeping it together for now.

hugs,

Sherry

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're doing a good job of keeping it together, Sherry! And you know we're right there with you, in spirit.

Here, you deserve some of these! :f_white

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest HappyHarleysMom

You're doing a good job of keeping it together, Sherry! And you know we're right there with you, in spirit.

Here, you deserve some of these! :f_white

Mary, thank you. :bighug

Guest fringepup

Saturday night 10pm.

I picked up Harley's medicine and spoke with Dr. Wade. She filled me in a little bit more about the ALT and billirubin. She told me that Dr Martinez suggested a third ultrasound if Harley doesn't get better with the liver issue because she would be looking for cancer. So we both said we would talk about it if that time came. But if that time comes, we won't be doing a third ultrasound to look for cancer. I can't think too much about that or I will lose it big time.

Harley is the same today. Eating pretty good - about a cup to cup and 1/4, three times so far today. I'll try one more time at 1am. I had to delay his feeding today because the liver medicine, Denamarin, has to be given on an empty stomach.

Dr. Wade said the prednisone could be contributing some to Harley's high liver values, but for as high as they are, she said it isn't all prednisone. She said it could be the inflamation, since everything else was so inflamed - intestines, skin, spleen. She said if this is the case, again, Harley has a long recovery ahead because he is starting at such a low point. If he gets worse, we'll all have to sit down and talk.

But, even with all the sleeping he is doing, when I got my coat on to get his medicine, he got up from his mattress, came out to the kitchen, tail wagging, and actually front paws jumped off the floor in hopes of going with me! The old Harley. Boy, what a great sight. So, I took him. He laid in the back, leaning against the side of the car with his head high enough to watch out the window. I couldn't say no to him, and frankly I didn't want to leave him alone since Chuck was working. He laid in the back, leaning high enough against the side of the car so he could watch out the window.

Getting Harley to keep his coat on is hopeless. I tried again and he would not take a step outside. I coaxed him, helped him down the steps and then he walked like he was tipsy, and looked up at me like, 'why do you do this to me mommy, you know I hate my coat.' He peed, then walked drunkenly toward the house. I met him on the sidewalk about 10 feet from the steps, and took the coat off. Well, don't you know, he then walked normally again, making it up the two steps on his own. I told Dr. Wade, and she lauged and said Harley acts more like a cat - when she put a sweater on her cat, he tipped over like a tree just being cut down - Timber.... lol. Harley the cat.

Now Harley walks over to me when I'm sitting down, for our usual "loving and hugs" sessions where I wrap my arms around his whole body and he rests the top of his head on my lap - bowing his head so it's upsidedown. He has only done this on his way back to his bed after he had been up already for something else, pee time, whatever, but oh how nice it feels even if he doesn't get up for that reason alone. It's so wonderful that he still remembers and wants to do it.

Well, his diarrhea has improved to the point where the last two movements were not round cow patties, but starting to form, yet very soft. And still dark brown. But, we'll take it. His back side is completely healed now. He is going longer now between bathroom trips, so I've been able to sleep a little more - which really helps my state of mind. I don't know how young mothers do it with babies needing something every two hours around the clock for weeks and weeks. I'd collapse, I think. But, I'm not in my twenties either. I'm 49, disabled, and tired from my own health issues. But still. I don't know how they do it.

I'm praying his liver gets better with this medicine, Denamarin. Since the ALT and billirubin readings weren't from fasting, we really don't know the true numbers until he gets the fasting test on Tuesday. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe it's worse than we think, or maybe it isn't. We will find out though.

It is hard to focus on anything else. Pretty soon though, I will be starting my crazy-busy season, the 14-16 hour work days with the tax collector job. I will have to focus on it to keep up with the paperwork. I hope I can handle both. I have no idea how I'm going to do a second job too. I guess I'm thinking too far ahead with that. Right now, Harley needs me, and I'm blessed to at least have the one job here at home.

I'm glad you liked the pics to see how Har looks now. I appreciate you hanging in there with me and praying for Harley. He really needs it. This liver thing is worrisome. I'm not giving up. Not yet. WarmHeartedPups, your experience sounds like ours, and Phillypups, your prednisone experience sounds familiar - it gives me hope, and I am so glad your dogs made it through their bad days.

WarmheartedPups, you wrote about the good days and bad - ups and downs of IBD, and it seems to be the common thread I have heard here from every GT'er posting about their own IBD hounds. Very intense, very much a roller coaster of hope, let down, hope, let down, etc.

Also, like Mary (greyhead) says, Harley's age is a consideration regarding his muscle loss, and it does concern me. Right now, I'm just praying he gets through this to a good quality of life. If Har is truly cancer free and it's just the IBD, then Harley still has a long way to go. Like Dr. Wade says, he's starting from such a very low point.

thank you thank you thank you for keeping the prayer chain going - our Hoohoo needs it. I thought he was out of the woods and that we got our miracle. This liver thing. I'm scared, but keeping it together for now.

hugs,

Sherry

Guest fringepup

Sherry, I am relieved for you all that Harley is showing signs of his old self and I am checking in everyday in hope to read your posts of his progress. I can't even imagine what you all have been through. He is a very lucky boy to have someone like you taking such great care of him. We will be thinking of you all and will continue to pray for continued improvement and the miracle you all deserve. I had to laugh about Harely's coat issues..Willie is the same way! More snow coming to us in the east and it's supposed to be a big one. Ughh!

Carey

Just want to let you know we continue to keep you in our thoughts...it's easy to say take it one day at a time, but hopefully you can cherish those moments when Harley does those things that make your heart feel like it will explode with love, and keep those negative thoughts that are out of your control at bay for a few moments at least. I know easier to say than done...

:grouphug You will get through this...we are here for you.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I am in awe of what a loving and commited Momma you are. I will add Harley to my prayer list and look forward to reading what I know will be positive updates.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I haven't had any direct experience, but many GT dogs and humans have had good experience with taking milk thistle for some liver problems. But I would imagine you have to be extremely careful of medications and supplements, too, because of the IBD? Sending cyberhugs.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Thanks for the well wishes and prayers, and virtual hugs - greytly needed and greytly appreciated!! We are hanging in there - no better, no worse.

Harley was so excited to eat salmon last night. He's been getting tired of pasta and chicken, so I tried boiled salmon, per Dr. Wade's suggestion. Well, I made a whole batch, mixed with chicken and pasta to make it go further. He loved it last night. Well, that was last night. Today he decided he doesn't want it. Darn. He ate plain chicken earlier today, and tonight, he ate plain pasta. That was all I could get him to eat. I know he's hungry, but I just don't know what else to try.

We have until 8:30pm EST for feeding, and then he must fast for his blood test tomorrow morning to check the liver enzymes. Maybe he will decide to eat the salmon later. Or chicken. Lol, or just pasta again.

Otherwise, Harley is no better, no worse. His stool is still plopping out, soft and dark brown, instead of runny, so we're glad of that. He only goes only a few times a day, which has let his backside heal.

I don't think we will have the blood test results tomorrow, but I'm not really sure. I'm hoping for the best. Harley is so weak now that he's lost so much muscle. It does worry me.

A friend of mine came to see Harley today, and he got up from the kitchen into the living room to see her. He still has little sparks of "Harley" in between his sleep times.

He is mostly interested in food though. (or when we get our coats on to leave--he wants to go with us) And, if I'm in the kitchen working, Harley wants to hang out with me, so he lays on his big pillow in the kitchen. Poor guy, sometimes I try to tell him that mommy will be going right back into the living room in a minute, but no matter, lol, he still follows me to the kitchen anyway. Which is nice for me, having him be so close, but I bet it tires him out, back and forth, and I do think it's all about the food, and not so much about mommy, lol.

Besides boiled chicken, or boiled salmon and pasta, does anyone have any other food ideas to keep Harley eating? He will not eat rice. The pasta is working, but he can't just eat pasta. Any other protein ideas? We're still at the "keep Harley eating" phase right now, so novel foods are not being introduced yet. I will ask Dr. Wade for other ideas tomorrow, and about the milk thistle. I ask her about every suggestion I get from you guys, so thanks, EllenEveBaz.

I can't figure Har out yet - sometimes he wants the chicken, sometimes not. Sometimes he wants the pasta, sometimes not. And, the salmon was good last night, but not today. Plus salmon is so expensive - that's why I mixed both together. Maybe I shouldn't have. Maybe I ruined it for him by mixing it with the chicken, even though he ate it last night. I'll try buying it once more, and give it to him alone. I probably ruined it by mixing it.

Well, that's about it. I can tell Harley doesn't feel well. But, I still have hope. I keep thinking about Dr. Wade's reminding me that Harley has a long recovery if this is IBD. I can't go to the cancer thought yet..

Thank you for keeping the prayers going for Harley. He needs all the help he can get. Thank you. :)

And, thank you for hanging in there with me. It helps me stay strong.

Edited by HappyHarleysMom

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered, but have you tried an exclusively novel protein diet, such as venison and potato?

The vet did tell me he will be on novel foods if he gets through this, but for now they just want him to eat period. I think I'll ask Dr. Wade about it again tomorrow. Harley is so sick right now, they just want him to eat anything bland, like the boiled chicken, salmon and pasta. We were doing rice, but he doesn't want anything to do with rice anymore and hasn't wanted it since the beginning when he was vomiting. So, that's the scoop. He's getting picky though. I imagine it all tastes so bland and he likes it at first, but then doesn't after awhile. I don't know though - I'm just guessing.

You may want to try scrambled eggs. They are easy on the tummy and a nearly complete protein. For Sadie I just wisked -up eggs plain, no milk, with a sprinkle of sea salt. Then I just lightly wiped a nonstick pan with olive oil and cooked them in there. I've even microwaved them plain in a bowl. I am sending strength for both your family and Harley.

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest HappyHarleysMom

You may want to try scrambled eggs. They are easy on the tummy and a nearly complete protein. For Sadie I just wisked -up eggs plain, no milk, with a sprinkle of sea salt. Then I just lightly wiped a nonstick pan with olive oil and cooked them in there. I've even microwaved them plain in a bowl. I am sending strength for both your family and Harley.

Oh my goodness I could kick myself. Dr. Wade suggested egg whites and I totally forgot! Thank you for reminding me. He is fasting now for the blood test, but I will definitely try egg whites tomorrow. (She had told me not to include the yolk since he is sick.)

Lordy, thank you AEB for jogging my brain!

Oh my goodness I could kick myself. Dr. Wade suggested egg whites and I totally forgot! Thank you for reminding me. He is fasting now for the blood test, but I will definitely try egg whites tomorrow. (She had told me not to include the yolk since he is sick.)

Lordy, thank you AEB for jogging my brain!

I hope he ate something for you tonight. It's so hard to worry and on top of it to have to coax them to eat.

I am very happy I could be of some help to you at this time. You might want to ask them why no yolks. Is it a fear of the eggs not being thoroughly cooked? Many of the beneficial nutrients, plus the good fats, are contained in the yolk. I am certainly not telling you to disobey Dr's orders, I just want to make sure nothing has changed and he isn't missing out on any nutrition he may have available to him. If he can only have eggs whites, then they are sold plain in large cartons (just FYI). Good luck tomorrow. -April

Edit- Oh, and some have suggested baby food (chicken, etc.) in other threads. You may want to ask the dr about that as well

Edited by AEB

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest HappyHarleysMom

I just made a printout for Dr. Wade of all the suggestions I could find on this thread that I haven't already asked her about. AEB, I'll ask her about the egg yolks - adding to my list of suggestions.

He ate chicken earlier today, and just pasta tonight. Not as much as previous days, so I'm thinking he either feels crappier today (the vet said he'll have belly aches), or he's just getting bored with this food. At least he ate something though. Hopefully the egg idea will work tomorrow after he gets his fasting blood test (9am EST). I'm so glad the test is as early as they could get him in so that I can get him home and feed him right away. His liver pill is administered on an empty stomach at 8am, so I'll be able to feed him at 10am.

Hmm, I didn't know egg whites were sold in a box. I was picturing myself separating them - which I can do to get rid of the eggs I have now though. If he likes it, I'll be doing another store trip!

AEB, you read my mind - I put baby food on my list of suggestions for Dr. Wade. :)

Just checking on updates on Harley. Glad to hear that things are slowly getting a little better.

Will keep you in my thoughts.

Wanda, with the DC Racing Kids,

Eric ( DNT Finbarclancy )  6/29/14    Maggie ( DNT Oh Maggie ) 6/29/14

Lorraine ( DC Don't Rainonme ) 3/15/08 - 4/9/20 ---  Suzie ( DC Lazy Susan ) 3/12/06 - 9/4/18 --- Stormy ( DC Major Storm ) 11/29/99 - 1/21/12 ---- Andy ( Andy's Alibi ) 1/23/99 - 12/30/11

Guest HappyHarleysMom

A special thank you for a wonderful person named Barb from IL: I don't know how to contact you, but I want you to know we thank you so much, as we received your card today in the mail. I hope you find this message, and know how deeply grateful we are to you. God bless you for your kindness in helping us help Harley. I have no words to really describe our gratitude, but to say thank you, and we promise that someday we'll do the same for someone else.

I gave Harley a big kiss from you as requested. :)

Just checking on updates on Harley. Glad to hear that things are slowly getting a little better.

Will keep you in my thoughts.

Thank you Wiscogreysmom. :) Hoping for good blood work and good eating tomorrow.

Edited by HappyHarleysMom

Just saw this post about his eating problems. I had to cook for Cody for about four years and he ate pork loin, I'd get those baseball bat sized pieces when they were on sale, cut it up in small pieces and microwave it. I would then cook up sweet potatoes,carrots and every kind of squash you can think of, pasta and rice too. It was always a little different mixture and I'd put some chicken broth with it too. He also got canned mackerall, sardines and salmon.He was over 100 pounds his entire life. He was 13 when we lost him almost two years ago.

When our little female Willa was ill the only thing she could keep down was Ensure which has a lot of vitamins, maybe you could ask Dr. Wade about that.

Keeping him in my prayers.

Terry