Prayers Needed

Guest HappyHarleysMom

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More good thoughts for Harley and you. I hope he does turn around quickly and your boy is back on the mend.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:hope that Harley gets well soon...my thoughts are with you.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

At the tender age of 4, after 2 months of watching my Beau steadily decline and watch is weight deteroiate to 52.4 pounds, test after test, sonograms, fecals, etc. We wound up doing the exploratory surgery to also find out he had severe IBD. That was 2 years ago this month.

There is an amazing board only for IBD dogs on yahoo. In order to join your dog must be diagnosed via scope or surgery or they will not allow you to join. The board is very gestapo run however the knowledge is 2nd to none.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/IBDogs/

I presume you know about novel proteins? Something Harley has never ever had before? Same with carbs.

Beau was started on 60 mg of pred, 3 weeks later the imuran was started and that's when it started turning around. The "novel" food we started was tilapia. We broiled it. From there we added in the Z-D kibble and wet as that is one of only 2 foods "allowed" for "real" IBD dogs. HA by purina is the other. We had a consult with a boarded nutrionalist at UPENN as well.

We had to feed Beau smaller meals every 3 hours ROUND the clock and yes I do mean at 2 AM as the pred made him ravenous and he also had to pee round the clock.

At the end of 3 months we had lowered the pred a bit.

We lowered pred as the weight went back on and he seemed stable.

I truly believed he was going to die at that point. I just did not see how it could be turned around, he was so far gone. I thank GOD everyday for my my vet.

If you have any questions, please email me at rlm410@optonline.net

I have been where you are.

Robin

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Going through a similar nightmare right now with my girl but no real diagnosis yet. I am so very sorry that Harley is going through this. You both are on my prayer list.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I'm so sorry to hear that Harley's having such an awful time of it. :( You and he will be in our prayers, intensely. :hope :hope :hope

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

You have our prayers. Sending healing thoughts to Harley.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Oh, I'm so sorry for what you're all going through. Sending many, many prayers for your dear Harley :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

My gosh, I pray the steroids work and he starts to feel better. Prayers for you and Harley.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am so sorry to read this. I cannot offer any advice, just good thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest HappyHarleysMom

I want to thank you all for your support, prayers, and information. Chuck and I both thank you from the bottom of our hearts. I truly don't have words to express how much it means to us that Harley is receiving this outpouring of love from everyone.

I just got back awhile ago from visiting Harley. He was not having a good morning, but they think it's a side effect from the pain medicine. While it's easing his pain, it also makes him anxious, which apparently happens with some animals and some pain meds.

The vet said he took a baby step in the right direction, because the diarrhea was not the watery oozing type that it has been, but is now like "cow patties." He isn't wincing from his back side being so raw--it's a tad bit better today.

He is drinking water, thanks to the prednisone, but wouldn't eat yet. Hopefully, as the prednisone works on his bleeding intestines and reduces the inflamation, he will want to eat again.

When I was with him, he did finally lie down and fall asleep. He also needs help getting on his feet because he's so weak from being sick. He's lost about 8 lbs. But, overall the vet says he is encouraged by the little bit of progress so far.

We are taking him home tomorrow since the $$ runs out. I spoke to the vet about it, and he understands we're tapped out. We'll pay the last $2000 tomorrow. I guess that makes about 7700-8000 in all.

But, the vet also said that if Harley keeps on this path improving by baby steps, that he would be recommending checking Harley out tomorrow anyway. So, please keep praying! And, thank you so much for doing so.

Thank God I'm not still on crutches or in the wheelchair, or Harley's home care would be nearly impossible. I'm permanently walking like a penguin, but I can do this. I can care for him around the clock. This whole ordeal has certainly put my own pain in an entirely different perspective.

Throughout this whole thing, and meeting all the different caregivers at 3 different animal hospitals, the common thread has been how everyone sees how sweet Harley is, and I've been told over and over what a good boy, a sweet boy he is. And, of course I reply, "I'm not just saying this, but Harley really IS a good boy!" I'm a tax collector, and some people show up to pay in person at every tax time just to see Harley. Our regular vet says that Harley knows how to work it--how to schmooze.

Well, thank you all once again. I'm hoping the phone does not ring tonight because no news overnight is good news for Harley. I am going to grab another nap. DH is sick with a cold and virus now, so I've got to get some sleep so I don't wear down and catch his bug. At least he got to see Harley last night.

Thank you again, everyone, for all your support and prayers. Not just for Harley, but for allowing me to ramble on here as well. So, thank you for listening to my rambles.

Robin, thanks for sharing your experience, and the website address. I'll probably be pm'ing you if Harley makes it through this.

I'm keeping all our hounds in my prayers, and I will post Harley's update as I find out. I hope our other GT hounds with IBD are hanging in there.

hugs to all,

Sherry