Prayers Needed

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Sending prayers.

Just in case: If he needs to be kept hydrated, it is not terribly difficult to give fluids at home. Whole bunch of folks on this site could help you with that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stripeyfan

C'mon, Harley, stop worrying your mom! You just HAVE to get better, okay??

And Greyhead/Mary is right, his recovery won't be linear and he's probably feeling pretty weak in general, esp if he still has diarrhea. We had the same thing with Kelly, good days and bad, and the bad days always freaked me out, so I totally understand how you feel. And like Mary with Spencer, I still watch Kelly closely.

Harley may also be picking up on your stress, and feeling stressed himself, which can affect eating - not that you can help that so please don't feel bad about that too. But I know how lack of sleep makes ME feel and if I'm wound up, Kelly always seems to know.

Please look after yourself as well as your boy, and keep us posted when you can.

More hope.gif & grouphug.gif coming yours and Harley's way.

Edited by Stripeyfan

Has anybody suggested B-12 injections? We had to do that with Spencer, when he had trouble getting up, and it fixed him right up. (His IBD also entailed inability to process B vitamins in the gut from his food.) It's just a sub-q injection you can give at home, and the vet can sell you a bottle of B-12 cheap.

You've probably already talked to the vet by now, and I'm hoping you got some help. :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Has anybody suggested B-12 injections? We had to do that with Spencer, when he had trouble getting up, and it fixed him right up. (His IBD also entailed inability to process B vitamins in the gut from his food.) It's just a sub-q injection you can give at home, and the vet can sell you a bottle of B-12 cheap.

You've probably already talked to the vet by now, and I'm hoping you got some help. :grouphug

I've seen wonderful benefits from injectable B-12 or more often Fortified B-complex which has a high dose of B-12 in it. This isn't a cure but it is more than just symptomatic treatment. GI problems can strongly effect b-vitamin absorption, B-12 in particular. You can get fortified b-complex at most livestock supply stores. Sub-q injections are easy to give at home & nearly painless. Talk to your vet about it & give it a try. A few may lobby for intramuscular B-12 injections. Personally I would veto that idea. IM B-12 injections can be painful while sub-q works quite well & avoids the pain.

Just in case: If he needs to be kept hydrated, it is not terribly difficult to give fluids at home. Whole bunch of folks on this site could help you with that.

Batmom is quite right. It takes some getting used to but it is not hard.

Regardless, I pray your this is just a minor setback. Two steps forward, one back. Hoping your pup improves & your bad feeling is only that. :goodluck

Guest bluefawn

Sending hugs and white light your way! I hope Harley will continue to improve. Hang in there Sherry, you and Chuck and Harley have many here who love and support you smile.gif

Forgot to tell you this: when I worked at BabiesRUs PT, I talked with a lot of ladies about different baby products. They all love "BUTT PASTE" for diaper rash prevention and healing, so you may want to try that. It is a little more heavy-duty than Desitin.

Edited by bluefawn

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Ok it's been 12 hours since this bad episode started and now Harley is acting better again. Thank you for helping me keep calm. I think I need to get it into my head that long haul means good days and bad days, like Mary and the rest of you said. I hate that I panic like this, and I've got to work on it for my own good. Thank you for calmer heads out here. :)

I don't know what the caving legs were. But, I'm going to let that one go, because it could be as simple as maybe he still thought he had a little poop left to go or something, or maybe he got a cramp.

He's drinking plenty, in fact I need to watch so he doesn't drink too much at one time and spit it all back up.

He's eaten some "good pee treats" as I tell them they are--the boiled pasta I made. Not a lot, but he didn't turn his nose up this time, rather he eagerly ate it out of my hand.

The vet called this morning and told me I'd have to bring him in today if he continued going this way. So, thank goodness I got to call her back and told her he's acting better. And, she said more or less what you all told me--that he is showing signs of improvement, but he will still have times like this. So, she said to keep tomorrow's appointment and not take him in today.

I am sure I could do subq fluids. I've watched it enough times. But, that's the one thing I have not had to worry about since he's been on prednisone. It was the eating part that was worrisome.

The vet also mentioned to only feed him 3 or 4 times during the day instead of round the clock like I've been doing. That maybe it was too much for him. So, we'll try that.

Anyway, thanks again for telling me to keep my head. I know I need to "chill out" as they say.

I am glad he is doing better! It is very hard not to panic after all he has been through, when you think you see him heading back to the bad place. This disease, especially in the early stages, would try the patience of a saint, which I certainly am not :rolleyes: , but I learned to just take a deep breath and wait. You will too!

Glad to see he's doing better. Try and relax, for your sake and his. I'm sure he picks up on your anxiety. I know, easier said than done. Sounds like he's improving so more prayers that tomorrow is much better.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest fringepup

Sherry,

Don't ever feel like you are worrying too much. I have only been part of this wonderful group a short time and I think everyone would feel the way you do. I know I would. We have only had Willie since October and I can tell you that I always worry about him. While he is fine now, we have had a few issues. All I know is that I love this beautiful boy more than I ever imagined. My husband and I suddenly lost our German Shepherd, Gretel this past September and while I originally reused the idea of getting another dog we found Willie. He is our first greyhound and the first dog we ever adopted. He has brought so much to our lives and healed our hearts from our loss. The love we feel for our 'kids' is very special. The worrying is only because we love them so very, very much. So you are not alone and never have to apologize for the love you have for Harley. It is obvious to me that you are a wonderful mom to this great boy. I will keep you all in my prayers! Give Harley a kiss from Pennsylvania.

Carey

Oh, Sherry, I don't blame you for worrying. When you feel that you are very close to losing your precious boy, any backsliding is scary. And it is so hard NOT to worry. But I agree that it will be up and down sometimes, and he is on the right track.

He's on his way back, I'm sure of it. And I'll be sending lots of "get well" thoughts, prayers, and white light out to you both.

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest HappyHarleysMom

BTW, Carey, welcome to GT! All dogs are precious, and are cats, but the greys, I don't know--they hold a special place in my heart, for me at least. Where in PA? I'm in York.

We all had a good night. I don't know how Harley did it, but for the first time since he's been home, he didn't go out to pee for 5 1/2 hours! Five and one half hours! And, I slept the whole time. I feel like a queen from that much sleep!

I am glad to hear that my hypervigilance will subside and I will learn the virtue of patience as time goes by. I will probably need you guys to keep reminding me from time to time: when I awoke to the alarm clock for pill time, after such a long stretch, I immediately thought omg what is wrong with him--he didn't get me up to pee, so what's wrong. :blush

Actually, Harley didn't want to get up when I said, 'let's go out and pee.' So, I got up, went to the kitchen to get his pills ready, refreshed his water, and when I came back in he was now sitting up. I gave him his pills, and said let's go out again, and this time he got up. No accidents on his mattress! He just must have been as tired as me.

And, the diarrhea didn't run out of him this time. It sort of plopped out, so that is good! His backside is not nearly as raw now too. Last night he let me wash his backside with warm water, and hardly an objection. That Desitin sticks on him like glue, so I didn't get it all out of his hair. I sort of had to pour water on the area and blot a little with the baby wipes so not to rub the small area that's still a bit raw.

But, he's a little cleaner than just using the baby wipes. His tail has one small raw area left. Much better than the four inches of raw tail on the underside! Those big pads he lays on kept the whole mess off his mattress, and I just replaced the pads with fresh ones.

He's eating boiled pasta again, with a little bit of chicken. He's acting hungry again. YAY! The vet also suggested getting salmon to boil if he didn't want the chicken, but so far the chicken is ok with him.

He's so skinny. Every bone is out now. I am anxious to find out what he weighs. Our vet appt. is at 1:30pm I'm hoping for no weight loss, and good blood work. The vet suggested that his scale weight may have improved even though Harley looks skinnier due to losing muscle now. We'll see today!

And, another Harley sign - we were just overjoyed: last night, Chuck put his coat on to go to the store for me. Harley got up, and trotted right out to the kitchen in hopes of going with him! (Keys jingling and coats put on are alway signs to Harley that he may be taking a ride or walk) What a greyt sight to see! Chuck told him he had to stay home with mommy, so Harley watched him go, and came back to the living room and lied back down.

Ok, these are good signs! I'll pop back in when we get home from the vet this afternoon.

Thanks everyone again. For everything. As you guys teach me from your own knowledge and experience, I am learning how to ride this roller coaster of emotion. And, your prayers and positive thoughts for Harley are being heard as he fights to get better.

I'm grateful to have you all.

hugs,

Sher

Guest BlueCrab

Sherry - best of luck and scritches to Harley. I'm at work so can't read all 9 pages...but if you're still tight on the money front, please try to contact Emergency Animal Rescue Svc / United Animal Nations (UAN / EARS) - you can google them by either name, I think. They conduct animal rescues and set up shelters in disaster situations. But they also have something called the "Lifeline" which is a donation to help people with vet bills in desperate situations. Please look into it.

Guest fringepup

BTW, Carey, welcome to GT! All dogs are precious, and are cats, but the greys, I don't know--they hold a special place in my heart, for me at least. Where in PA? I'm in York.

We all had a good night. I don't know how Harley did it, but for the first time since he's been home, he didn't go out to pee for 5 1/2 hours! Five and one half hours! And, I slept the whole time. I feel like a queen from that much sleep!

I am glad to hear that my hypervigilance will subside and I will learn the virtue of patience as time goes by. I will probably need you guys to keep reminding me from time to time: when I awoke to the alarm clock for pill time, after such a long stretch, I immediately thought omg what is wrong with him--he didn't get me up to pee, so what's wrong. :blush

Actually, Harley didn't want to get up when I said, 'let's go out and pee.' So, I got up, went to the kitchen to get his pills ready, refreshed his water, and when I came back in he was now sitting up. I gave him his pills, and said let's go out again, and this time he got up. No accidents on his mattress! He just must have been as tired as me.

And, the diarrhea didn't run out of him this time. It sort of plopped out, so that is good! His backside is not nearly as raw now too. Last night he let me wash his backside with warm water, and hardly an objection. That Desitin sticks on him like glue, so I didn't get it all out of his hair. I sort of had to pour water on the area and blot a little with the baby wipes so not to rub the small area that's still a bit raw.

But, he's a little cleaner than just using the baby wipes. His tail has one small raw area left. Much better than the four inches of raw tail on the underside! Those big pads he lays on kept the whole mess off his mattress, and I just replaced the pads with fresh ones.

He's eating boiled pasta again, with a little bit of chicken. He's acting hungry again. YAY! The vet also suggested getting salmon to boil if he didn't want the chicken, but so far the chicken is ok with him.

He's so skinny. Every bone is out now. I am anxious to find out what he weighs. Our vet appt. is at 1:30pm I'm hoping for no weight loss, and good blood work. The vet suggested that his scale weight may have improved even though Harley looks skinnier due to losing muscle now. We'll see today!

And, another Harley sign - we were just overjoyed: last night, Chuck put his coat on to go to the store for me. Harley got up, and trotted right out to the kitchen in hopes of going with him! (Keys jingling and coats put on are alway signs to Harley that he may be taking a ride or walk) What a greyt sight to see! Chuck told him he had to stay home with mommy, so Harley watched him go, and came back to the living room and lied back down.

Ok, these are good signs! I'll pop back in when we get home from the vet this afternoon.

Thanks everyone again. For everything. As you guys teach me from your own knowledge and experience, I am learning how to ride this roller coaster of emotion. And, your prayers and positive thoughts for Harley are being heard as he fights to get better.

I'm grateful to have you all.

hugs,

Sher

Guest fringepup

Hello again Sherry and thank you! We are in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. I am happy to hear to hear that Harley seems to be on the mend and I hope that his appointment went well. I'm glad you finally had a chance to rest yourself. Our boy, Willie, just turned 3 on the 15th. He is out first grey and all I can say is that we are so in love with this boy. When Gretel (our 7 1/2 year old GSD) died I thought I would never want another dog. My heart just couldn't take it. My husband and I always liked greys and once I warmed up to the idea of having another dog again he found Willie on-line from a local rescue. He has helped to heal our hearts from the loss. He has been with us since October and is settling in very well. We have had a couple of issues with him but so far nothing we can't handle yet. It is easy to love and impossible not to worry. Everything you have described seem to be terrific signs of improvement for Harley. We will keep you all in our prayers until your boy is out of the woods.

I am grateful for GT and everyone on this site. It is comforting to have so many caring people to turn to in a time of need.

Keep in touch! Kiss that boy for us! :bighug

Carey