Prayers Needed

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Guest jerrybird

Small bites can make a big difference! We're all rooting for your boy and sending our best wishes. Thanks for the update and remember to take care of yourself too.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Thank you!!!

Yeah, we're in it for the long haul if he makes it out of the woods. His stomach has to start all over again as far as working and processing food.

I got so wrapped up in his progress, that I forgot one other thing: I can't keep my eyes off Harley. Seeing him fast asleep on his couch, snoring a little tiny bit...it's a sight for my sore, tired eyes. I didn't think I would ever see this again. I just look at him and tear up. I want to etch this sight into my brain. :blush

Every time we move, Harley's big ol' brown eyes watch us... :)

Ah, thanks, Sherry, for coming and letting us know how he is. I know we've been waiting for an update.

Harley, sweet boy, keep eating for your Mom. Baby steps are okay. One step at a time....

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Still following Harley's progress and am happy to see a good update.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Thank you!!!

Yeah, we're in it for the long haul if he makes it out of the woods. His stomach has to start all over again as far as working and processing food.

I got so wrapped up in his progress, that I forgot one other thing: I can't keep my eyes off Harley. Seeing him fast asleep on his couch, snoring a little tiny bit...it's a sight for my sore, tired eyes. I didn't think I would ever see this again. I just look at him and tear up. I want to etch this sight into my brain. :blush

:wub: I know how you feel! And I'm so glad Harley's there so you can feel it, Sherry.

One thing -- the swelling in the legs and feet can be a side-effect of prednisone. You might want to mention this to the vets if they don't already know about it or if it persists, and at least ask them what to expect.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I've been through this too. I'm sending all the best wishes to you, Chuck, and Harley. I hope Harley starts to feel better soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Sending lots of Good Thoughts and well wishes for you and your husband and Harley....I know this must be Hard..,... :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest HappyHarleysMom

It's 11:40pm EST. I am literally on an emotional roller coaster and I need to get a grip here and level out. The exciting 5pm feeding when Hoo Hoo (Harley) ate 2 T. of chicken has not been repeated. Not even a lick or "licky licky" as I say to Harley. :(

And now his face is swollen with fluid and it's all my fault. I could kick myself. Harley is one of those greyhounds who isn't comfortable unless he hangs his head over the couch cushion. His laid that way all afternoon and I didn't even think of gravity placing the fluid on the parts heading downward. I knew gravity was doing it to his paws and his stomach. I could kick myself for not thinking about his head. I've got him on his mattress with pillows beside the mattress so he can't do it again.

And, I guess no one noticed that he has a sore on his back right paw, above the toe pads but low enough to hit the ground when he walks--or maybe he got it walking in our yard today which is still snow covered for the most part. I saw little pinkish red spots as he walked on the white pads I laid on the floor in case of accidents. It looks like a nickel sized brush burn. So I cleaned it gently and applied triple antibiotic ointment, then put a loose gauze wrap on it.

I'll tell the vet tomorrow when I call to see what I should really be doing with it. I'm making a list of things to tell the vet tomorrow.

I'm rambling again. Sorry. He just lays there. I had to coax him to go outside every time. He probably knows I'm going to clean his butt and apply Destin, which he really hates because it hurts.

I pray he looks better tomorrow. He looks so very sick tonight and it's breaking my heart. I'm hopeful one moment and my heart sinks the next.

I've got to get sleep. It's hard to take my attention away from him, but I know I have to get some sleep in between pill times. I'm not going to try to get him to eat any more tonight. Well, maybe once more and that it. He just wants to sleep.

Ok, I'm signing off for tonight.

Thank you, my greyhound friends. I don't know what I'd do if I was alone with my thoughts. I have Chuck, but he's sick, asleep, and doesn't express openly like I do. He's more the quiet-male-keeps it in as much as possible-type. So, I'm lucky to be able to talk to all of you, the ones who totally understand. thanks :)

goodnight,

Sher

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Thank you!!!

:wub: I know how you feel! And I'm so glad Harley's there so you can feel it, Sherry.

One thing -- the swelling in the legs and feet can be a side-effect of prednisone. You might want to mention this to the vets if they don't already know about it or if it persists, and at least ask them what to expect.

Yes, I will be asking about the fluid again when I mention about his face. So far the vet said it was either inflamation because his backside is so inflamed, or his low albumin level which was already causing fluid to collect in his abdomen, or both reasons. The doc said the fluid is a concern and hoping if he progresses with prednisone, the fluid will diminish. It's near impossible to massage it from his paws to the tops of his legs because Har doesn't like me messing with his back legs (too close to the raw butt), and also because of the way he lays, I just cannot get to the spots I need to massage.

Thanks for keeping the prayers going everyone!!!!!!!!!

Your post broke my heart. :cry1 Sending prayers and white light to your Harley that he gets better and comes home. :hope

:bighug

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

:hope Harley and :grouphug for you

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm sure the albumin level is scary low. Not only will you see fluids building under the skin but they will build up fluids in the abdominal cavity too (ascites)- this may be why the lack of appetite. Your pup needs a transfusion.

Edited to add-- are you near a university or teaching hosptial??

Edited by tbhounds