Cosmo's Limping. It's Osteo.

It sounds like you ARE dealing with a cancer/malignancy. IF I WERE YOU, I'd contact OSU, and bring Cosmo there. THEY ARE the greyhound authorities, and they DO give GH owners a "break" in some of their pricing. This is what I would do.

I WANT to bring my Curfew (presumed brain tumor) there, for a full neuro work up and MRI, but, I am looking at $1400, so I cannot at this time. We take his problem, day by day.

I'd just contact Dr. Couto directly, and see what he thinks. He ALWAYS gets back to you, and I trust him the most! couto.1@osu.edu (his email).

Hug Cosmo for us, and keep us posted! Love and prayers from this end! Dee and The Five

I have emailed Dr. Couto and cc'ed the Greyhound Clinicals email addy four times, and I have called them once. I have overnighted xrays, had my vet fax the cytology and emailed the cytology myself. I got a "we'll be happy to help you" email from Dr. Couto on Friday and a "hang in there" email yesterday but I have not gotten anything of substance from anyone there as of yet. The mailing address and fax I got from Burpdog, so I crossed my fingers and sent the xrays. I have no idea if anyone is going to look at what I've sent or not. I know they're busy but I don't know how long I can wait to hear from them since I don't know how aggressive this thing is. If you have any other ideas as to how I can get a substantive response from someone there, please let me know.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are similarities, but many differences. Hopefully Dr Marin or Dr Couto or Dr Bill will get back to you quickly.

I think in the end you are going to want this the heck out of there. That's what we opted to do with Foxy's tumor, removed it and sent it for pathology instead of a biopsy. This was in the bone though, right? Not on top of the bone?

Why can't these things be cut and dried? I'm not much help, but am sending love and hope. :grouphug

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

There are similarities, but many differences. Hopefully Dr Marin or Dr Couto or Dr Bill will get back to you quickly.

I think in the end you are going to want this the heck out of there. That's what we opted to do with Foxy's tumor, removed it and sent it for pathology instead of a biopsy. This was in the bone though, right? Not on top of the bone?

Why can't these things be cut and dried? I'm not much help, but am sending love and hope. :grouphug

Janet, I guess it's on top of the bone. That's probably why it shrank when he did the FNA. Since my vet can't do it, what do I ask to feel confident that these guys can? And where's that info about anesthesia again? I haven't needed it before, so of course I didn't save it...

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

Janet, I guess it's on top of the bone. That's probably why it shrank when he did the FNA. Since my vet can't do it, what do I ask to feel confident that these guys can? And where's that info about anesthesia again? I haven't needed it before, so of course I didn't save it...

It's good that it is on top of the bone - no osteo. Lot's of possibilities though.

Here is a link to a page on the OSU site on anesthesia.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Thanks Janet and Diane!!!

Guest Energy11
It sounds like you ARE dealing with a cancer/malignancy. IF I WERE YOU, I'd contact OSU, and bring Cosmo there. THEY ARE the greyhound authorities, and they DO give GH owners a "break" in some of their pricing. This is what I would do.

I WANT to bring my Curfew (presumed brain tumor) there, for a full neuro work up and MRI, but, I am looking at $1400, so I cannot at this time. We take his problem, day by day.

I'd just contact Dr. Couto directly, and see what he thinks. He ALWAYS gets back to you, and I trust him the most! couto.1@osu.edu (his email).

Hug Cosmo for us, and keep us posted! Love and prayers from this end! Dee and The Five

I have emailed Dr. Couto and cc'ed the Greyhound Clinicals email addy four times, and I have called them once. I have overnighted xrays, had my vet fax the cytology and emailed the cytology myself. I got a "we'll be happy to help you" email from Dr. Couto on Friday and a "hang in there" email yesterday but I have not gotten anything of substance from anyone there as of yet. The mailing address and fax I got from Burpdog, so I crossed my fingers and sent the xrays. I have no idea if anyone is going to look at what I've sent or not. I know they're busy but I don't know how long I can wait to hear from them since I don't know how aggressive this thing is. If you have any other ideas as to how I can get a substantive response from someone there, please let me know.

I would TRY CALLING THEM TOMORROW. Yes, they ARE busy, but I am SURE they will help!

Guest Fasave

I'm just catching up with this thread but if you're looking for a good surgeon in NE, my guy had a lump that turned out to be soft tissue sarcoma removed from the front of his leg last year at Vetcision in Waltham, MA. At the time they were sharing a space with NEVOG (New England Veterinary Oncology Group). Dr. Benson did the surgery which was a little complicated because the lump was around a main vein in his leg. He did manage to get clean margins and a year later my guy is doing well. I agree that with the report you posted, I would get the lump out and bypass the biopsy unless you learn otherwise.

Also, RooRoo here on GT was going through the same thing and was given some alternative treatment ideas from Couto. After contacting a bunch of vets in NE She ended up finding a vet in RI that would do the treatment. Once you get the results, you may want to get in touch with her.

Guest VirginiaGreys

I got my best response from OSU when I called...but I also got great response from my emails. Emailed x-rays can be seen faster than those sent through the mail. The CD's can be great (because of zooming in and manipulating them)...but when time is of essence...email is faster.

I think the CD's go to a mail room at OSU and then make their way to that dept ...which can take too long when we are waiting for quicker responses. (I say that because I know that my cd arrived on a Sat....and when I called at noon on Monday...Dr. Paulo had not received the CD yet. Finally I emailed the x-ray to Dr. Paulo...which was against my vet's wishes.....which is now my x-vet). Dr. Paulo was able to see my emailed x-ray and responded within the hour of receiving it....and emailed me back with his dx of Osteo and recommendation of FNA (Fine needle Asperate) to confirm.

I hope you get some answers fast....I know all too well of the waiting when time is so critical. :grouphug

Here is some info about histiocytic things:

http://www.histiocytosis.ucdavis.edu/sarcoma.html

It sounds from the report that it *might* be helpful to do further biopsy if the tumor is thought to be operable. If it isn't, then I don't know that pinpointing the type would help you any. A vet oncologist would be the person to quiz on that.

Sending hugs and prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry you and Cosmo are going through this. It's just horrible to not have a definitive answer. I'm praying that you can get some answers soon, and that Cosmo can start the journey to being well!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I just finished reading this thread and am so sorry that you and Cosmo are going through this. All my thoughts are with you that you can find a definitive course of action to follow. Maybe today will bring you some news.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest kydie

Lab. reports always make you crazy, I agree with a vet oncologist, discussion, your pup in counting on you, so i know it's hard, but be calm, you are her voice, and she needs you now, prayers to her and you

Tracey, can Cosmo travel? Dr. Couto is going to be in Raynham, MA at the expo on Saturday. If she's comfortable enough to make it, I'd try to bring her over there.

Best wishes for both of you. I know it seems you can hear time ticking away but I'm sure everything will come together very quickly soon. :grouphug

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

We just got back from the surgical consult. After speaking with them we decided to get more xrays since the ones we got Saturday are at OSU and they're not responding to my messages. Also because this place has better equipment than our vet.

Unfortunately, the xrays are pretty clear that this is osteo. The vet (actually a team of 3) said that if we wanted to be SURE it's osteo they could do a biopsy tomorrow and that we'd know by Monday what we're looking at. However, given where it is and given how it's attacking her bone, they feel pretty confident it is osteo and though I haven't been down this road before I have to agree. So I guess we're looking at amputation. Now I have to go back to my vet and see if he can do it or if he can refer us to somewhere else. I would love to have the team we met with do the surgery. The head vet actually did her residency under Dr. Couto and they all seem to know Greys well and the place seems top notch. Unfortunately, I just don't think we can manage what they need to charge, so I'm hoping we can find someone else good quickly.

In the meantime, this vet did give us the Tramadol so we can help with the pain. Not a moment too soon. Today seems to be her worst day so far; she's hardly using the leg. Please continue to keep Cosmo in your thoughts.

I'm so, so sorry Tracey. :(

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.