Cosmo's Limping. It's Osteo.

Tracey - I misunderstood - I thought it was all set. Please don't worry- Sterling's leg was useless for about almost 2 weeks before he had his surgery - ok? In a way - I think it helped Sterling learn how to walk and do stairs on three legs because his leg was useless.

We just used the patch and Tramadol for pain. What we did was 200 mg of Tramadol - over a 24 hour period - with 25 mg given every 3 hours. It really seemed to work well to conrol the pain - but it also means - you are up every 3 hours during the night. I took the week off after his surgery. Can you take some time off????

If you pm me - it will go to my work email and I won't see it til monday. If you want to - email me at: merann.dickinson@hotmail.com.

I have been thinking about you both all day.

Sterls had his stitches out today and everything looks good! He even got on his couch today - for the first time since the surgery!!

Please take care!

Merann, that is good to know about how long Sterling's leg was non-functional. Obviously I don't want to wait any longer than necessary, but it definitely makes me panic a bit less.

As for taking time off, yes and no. My husband and I have our own business and we work from home. So I can't put our clients off, but I do a lot of my work on the couch anyway, so I should be able to fit it all in in between when Cosmo needs me. She will not be alone for a minute.

Just to update: Went to the vet today to pick up Rimadyl and they called in a scrip for more Tramadol, so now she's on 50mg of both twice a day. Going back for bloodwork Tuesday morning. Surgeon must be out of town this weekend as they haven't heard back from him as to when he can do the surgery. If I can't get a date for surgery next week by Monday I will start looking elsewhere. Diane, I may need your vet's contact info. We will go down to Virginia if we have to; her leg is dangling like a limp noodle and it HAS to come off.

There is a vet just over the RI border who I would trust my own life with.

He's excellent with greyhounds, he's reasonable in cost and he lives in the house where his practice is.

I've used Dr Dan for everything from normal shots on up to broken legs, bloat, torn ACLs and a ton more.

That is if you can't get the surgeon your waiting on.

continued thoughts and prayers :hope:hope

Heather, I would love to have your vet's contact info -- just in case. Thanks!

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're thinking of you and Cosmo Tracey.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Vet info is

Dr Dan Cardosa

774 Nooseneck Hill Rd

West Greenwich, RI

401-397-8777

When I left CT I cried cause I knew I would never find another vet like Dr Dan to work with :(

Dan, his wife and his daughter all work the clinic and I always felt like family.

Even after being gone from CT for 10 years I sill call Dr Dan if I have some off the wall question and visit them when I come home.

Guest goodtimekid

Vet info is

Dr Dan Cardosa

774 Nooseneck Hill Rd

West Greenwich, RI

401-397-8777

When I left CT I cried cause I knew I would never find another vet like Dr Dan to work with :(

Dan, his wife and his daughter all work the clinic and I always felt like family.

Even after being gone from CT for 10 years I sill call Dr Dan if I have some off the wall question and visit them when I come home.

I'm originally from RI so my ears perked up. So glad that there are still vets like this around.. Our vet here in Fl is like that small practice and great with the pets, he is retiring in July. It stinks but I can't blame him.

Tracey,

Hugs and prayers coming your way... Hang in there.

Edited by goodtimekid

Finally able to check in. Many prayers headed your way Tracey.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Cosmo's having a good day today. Last night she had a hard time getting comfortable (breathing hard) but seems pretty content today. She's freaking me out with everything she's figured out how to do with three legs already. I only let her up and down the stairs to our bedroom once a day now. She went flying down them on three legs this morning. I was alarmed but she took them like a champ. Before we officially got up today I went to the bathroom and when I came back she was on our bed. It's a very low profile bed, but even so. Saw her hop down off it with just one front leg no problem. Anyway, I can see she will manage totally fine with three legs; now if we can just get the surgery done with so she can get her life back.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

Hi Tracey,

I'm glad that Cosmo is having a good day today.. It's got to be very scary to see her adjusting to the use of 3-legs - especially barreling down the steps like that! I'd have had a heart attack, too!

I've got my fingers crossed that you are able to get her set up for the surgery and for a quick recovery.

I believe I heard that greyhounds were designed with 3 legs, plus a spare ;-) It is no wonder they adjust to 3 legs so quickly!

FL

I'm checking in too :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest VirginiaGreys

I spoke to Tracey...she's just really busy...life is hectic with work and then getting everything ready for the amputation. Hopefully she'll post all the details herself soon...but right now things are good with Cosmos as much as they can be. She's still eating good and so on.

Tracey..... :grouphug It's all coming together!

I spoke to Tracey...she's just really busy...life is hectic with work and then getting everything ready for the amputation. Hopefully she'll post all the details herself soon...but right now things are good with Cosmos as much as they can be. She's still eating good and so on.

Tracey..... :grouphug It's all coming together!

Thanks for the update. Busy is good. More prayers for Cosmo.

Thanks so much to everyone who asked about Cosmo. I apologize for not getting back to this thread sooner but I guess I couldn't face it. I never appreciated how gut wrenching this would be until it struck our little family. Anyway, Cosmo is doing very well. She is eating like a champ and seems to feel pretty good but for an occasional whine when she tries to find a comfortable position. And she has gotten to be quite proficient already at motoring around on three legs. I think she will adapt quite quickly. It is a bit disconcerting to hear her thump thump thumping behind me as she follows me to the kitchen but I'm glad she's hopping after me with such gusto. And she can fly up the stairs already. She has more trouble getting down, but I know she'll figure it out.

The surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, June 23rd. We drop her off at 9:30 and she is supposed to be there for two days. I do not know if Tuesday counts as a day and she'll go home Wednesday, or if they mean she'll be ready to go home Thursday.

I know, logically, the leg has to go. It's already ruined, it needs to go. It's either this or say goodbye very, very soon. But no one warned me what a s****y decision this would feel like. I have feelings of guilt and anguish the depths of which I cannot begin to describe. I look at all the photos and videos of happy pups running and playing on three legs and I try to tell myself she will be one of them in a few weeks. But in my heart I feel like I am taking something from her and who am I to decide such a thing? She is so happy and so full of life and I wish I could somehow explain to Cosmo that to give her a chance to spend more time here doing the things she loves that her leg has to go. Unfortunately we can't have that conversation. I pray she will understand, when all is said and done, that her Dad and I did this for love.

Tracy - I understand how you feel about her leg having to go. I didn't have much time (minutes - literally) to think about giving the go-ahead for Darcys amputation, but I certainly second guessed it during the early days post amp. However, I realised that I haven't really taken anything from Darcy (other than the evil ailment) and in fact, I have given her the chance of life. And that's what you are doing for Cosmo :grouphug It's true that Darcy no longer has the beautiful gait that Deerhounds are renowned for but she does have life - and a good one at that. It was a very small price to pay.

We will be thinking all good thoughts for Cosmo and for you :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Speedhoundz

I hope all goes well tomorrow, Tracey. Unfortunately, I completely understand the gut-wrenching decision you've had to make. There are simply no great options. Keep us posted after the surgery!