Cosmo's Limping. It's Osteo.

Well crap! :( Horrible news to hear. :cry1 You'll probably be using plenty of tramadol + an NSAID, at least until the surgery. Get a prescription from your vet... it's very inexpensive at places like Costco, Walmart, etc. Keeping Miss Cosmo in my prayers. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO sorry to hear this. Been there, done that.

I don't think the tramadol is going to be enough to manage the pain until the amp.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

SO sorry to hear this. Been there, done that.

I don't think the tramadol is going to be enough to manage the pain until the amp.

That's all they want us to use until the prednisone is out of her system. I think they'll rethink things once it is.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I'm sorry. :cry1

:goodluck re the treatment.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest MnMDogs

I can't even think of anything to say. I'm so sorry that it is osteo...I was really hoping it was "only" a tumor which could be removed. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Did he mention tramadol dosing? Matty's max was 100 mg every 4 - 6 hours. Also, it can make them pant as a side effect. That concerned me initially, but my vet confirmed some dogs react like that.

I can't even think of anything to say. I'm so sorry that it is osteo...I was really hoping it was "only" a tumor which could be removed. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Did he mention tramadol dosing? Matty's max was 100 mg every 4 - 6 hours. Also, it can make them pant as a side effect. That concerned me initially, but my vet confirmed some dogs react like that.

Right now it's 50mg every 12 hours. I'm guessing by your post this is not going to be enough. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

Guest MnMDogs

Right now it's 50mg every 12 hours. I'm guessing by your post this is not going to be enough. :(

Matty was a bigger girl (about 70 pounds). But I forget what the max mg/kg is. I know her max was about 135mg - you know, I may have even been giving her 125mg :( I remember starting to cut the 50 mg in half.

If you can get in touch with your vet for guidance, he can probably give you better numbers. The tramadol didn't really change her personality or demeanor at all. Once you see how it's affecting Cosmo, you can probably better gauge how high you can go.

Also - and this is nothing proven that I know - the head of GFFL out in Auburn, CA also did a lot of research into anti-inflammatories, and had been giving her guy with OS salmon oil and curcumin daily to help with inflammation, I think cold pressed flax seed oil too. Crap, I wish I was home so I could send you that and my bottle of Artemisinin too.

Edited by MnMDogs

Well crap! Talk about a rollercoaster. I'm so sorry, but we are back where we started. Lots of hugs for all of you, especially Cosmo.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest wmlcml6

Tracey, we've all been praying so hard that Cosmo would get a better diagnosis. I am sincerely saddened to know you are going through this.

Please don't let them give her morphine. They gave it to Annie when they did her aspiration, and she was not herself for a day or two, plus lots of panting. As soon as it wore off, she was much happier. What worked for her pain management was tramadol with Rimadyl. Tramadol alone was definitely not enough, but I understand if they want the other drug out of Cosmo's system first. Don't be surprised if she sort of withdraws into herself. Give her a cushy spot where she can be comfortable but not get her paw stuck and wrench her leg (more pain). Take pictures, spend as much time with her as you can, and make her as comfortable as possible.

Oh Tracey, I'm so sorry. I was so hoping for a different diagnosis. My prayers are with you and Cosmo.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

The good news today is Cosmo is finally officially on OSU's radar as I have had emails back from Dr. Couto today and had a lengthy conversation with Dr. Marin. They do confirm the osteo diagnosis. They are happy to work with my vet, supply the chemo drugs, etc. Dr. Marin is going to email me a bunch of information.

In the meantime I have a call in to Cosmo's regular vet, Dr. Tosici, asking him if he can do the surgery. He referred us somewhere else when he thought it was just a mass removal because he said they'd be able to get extra wide margins. Now that I know she needs amputation I'm hoping he can do it. If not I've asked for a referral somewhere else.

I don't really think taking her to OSU is an option, but I'm kind of thinking about it. It would require renting a car, and Jason would have to take her while I stayed home with the other dogs. He'd have to go because he can lift her in and out of the car and I can't. She still wants to jump in and out but obviously we can't let her.

Anyway, Cosmo seems like she's feeling pretty comfortable today and we finally have something substantive from OSU so I feel a little less lost even though the details haven't been sorted out yet. Keep the good thoughts coming. I know Cosmo would be happy to see so many people rooting for her. She has always eaten up attention from people. She loves meet and greets and has never met a stranger. I actually think she likes strangers better than us because she's always trying to go home with them. Anyway, I know it would make Cosmo happy to know so many people are in her corner. So, thanks. :)

Thinking of you and Jason and Cosmo, Tracey. Wonderful news that the support of OSU has kicked in. Best wishes for finding a good vet to do the amputation. :kiss2:grouphug

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest HeatherDemps

Glad to hear that Cosmo is comfortable....

One thought- does your vet have 24/7 staff? Ours does not.... We had the amputation done at a university hospital where there was always staff there. He was kept in ICU and was not left alone. That gave me huge peace of mind along with knowing the surgeon had done quite a few of these surgeries.

The good news today is Cosmo is finally officially on OSU's radar as I have had emails back from Dr. Couto today and had a lengthy conversation with Dr. Marin. They do confirm the osteo diagnosis. They are happy to work with my vet, supply the chemo drugs, etc. Dr. Marin is going to email me a bunch of information.

In the meantime I have a call in to Cosmo's regular vet, Dr. Tosici, asking him if he can do the surgery. He referred us somewhere else when he thought it was just a mass removal because he said they'd be able to get extra wide margins. Now that I know she needs amputation I'm hoping he can do it. If not I've asked for a referral somewhere else.

I don't really think taking her to OSU is an option, but I'm kind of thinking about it. It would require renting a car, and Jason would have to take her while I stayed home with the other dogs. He'd have to go because he can lift her in and out of the car and I can't. She still wants to jump in and out but obviously we can't let her.

Anyway, Cosmo seems like she's feeling pretty comfortable today and we finally have something substantive from OSU so I feel a little less lost even though the details haven't been sorted out yet. Keep the good thoughts coming. I know Cosmo would be happy to see so many people rooting for her. She has always eaten up attention from people. She loves meet and greets and has never met a stranger. I actually think she likes strangers better than us because she's always trying to go home with them. Anyway, I know it would make Cosmo happy to know so many people are in her corner. So, thanks. :)

Well poop. Just catching up on Cosmo. Another tripod in the making, huh? :( Well, it's good you're in communication with the team at OSU, and at least you and Cosmo are in very good, compassionate, company here. :grouphug

Keep us up to date, and we'll keep showering you all with the attention that Cosmo wants and deserves! :bow:star:bow2

Edited by Xan

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest PhillyPups

Oh Tracey,

I am so saddened by the news ~ Cancer so Sukks ~ comfortable is the key. If you need to go to OSU, and need a vehicle, you can use my van for the drive (just put in the gas) the back seat is out, (plenty of room) it runs great, and there is no jumping needed as it is just a step in for Cosmo. Cosmo is one of those greyhounds here that we have never met but has a very special place in my heart.

I can get by without the van, it is not a necessity to me, the pups can miss playgroup for Cosmo. I do need it the 19th-20th of June (may be able to make other arrangements those two days) but definitely over 4th of July weekend. Other than that, let me know.

:bighug to you

Oh Tracey,

I am so saddened by the news ~ Cancer so Sukks ~ comfortable is the key. If you need to go to OSU, and need a vehicle, you can use my van for the drive (just put in the gas) the back seat is out, (plenty of room) it runs great, and there is no jumping needed as it is just a step in for Cosmo. Cosmo is one of those greyhounds here that we have never met but has a very special place in my heart.

I can get by without the van, it is not a necessity to me, the pups can miss playgroup for Cosmo. I do need it the 19th-20th of June (may be able to make other arrangements those two days) but definitely over 4th of July weekend. Other than that, let me know.

:bighug to you

Pat,

What an amazingly kind offer. Thank you so much. We're still trying to figure out what we're going to do vs. surgery here or there - obviously we have to decide quickly. Everyone has been just so kind. I'll keep you posted as we come closer to settling on a plan and a timetable. Again, thank you so much for the offer. People are always saying how amazing everyone on GT is. They are right.

Guest PhillyPups

Ah Cosmo's comfort is the prime concern, you could put her favorite bed in the back for her, and it is a short step into it. I have back-up transportation to see my grandson next weekend, so if you need it, just let me know. Heck, tbere is enough room if you all wanted to go you would fit without Cosmo being crowded

:hope. For Cosmo - :bighug to you

Guest wmlcml6

Very sweet, Pat. Thank you for being so compassionate. Cosmo is special to me, too, but I won't say why or people will cry.